Jeep Cherokee "Dakar" - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #21
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,236
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by team illuminata View Post
I agree, something's not qiute right. I'm planning a skidplate, not sure about the bumper though. It's supossed to end up looking like a Dakar Rally Jeep.
well you missed the mark big time...I mean if you have more planned for it thats one thing...right now it looks like an XJ with BIG stickers on it and some rims that belong on a car, not a rally car
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #22
team illuminata
Newbie
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
well you missed the mark big time...I mean if you have more planned for it thats one thing...right now it looks like an XJ with BIG stickers on it and some rims that belong on a car, not a rally car
Well, let's see:


vs


Lets take a close up of that wheel on that Dakar truck



and on the Jeep



Guess you're right.
team illuminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #23
Jdc215
Senior Member
 
Jdc215's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: Hartland/Fenton
Posts: 1,071
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

so what exaclty does a set of wheels, a few lights and a bunch of big stickers do for a cherokee offroad?
Jdc215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #24
Hi Im Adam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-19-10
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 302
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The idea is to make a desert ready racer while trying to keep a stockish car.

Yes a long travel would be badass, but usually they stick with stock size, but beefier suspension.



The idea is to sell the viewer on the idea "hey our truck is almost stock!"




Get that thing a nice loud exhaust and some ported and polished heads and that will be a true badass jeep.







All the wheels are mehh. don't go with white or i'll kick your ass.
Hi Im Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #25
SizeMatters
Sketchy, Son....
 
SizeMatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Blanchard, MI
Posts: 2,536
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I kinda like it, the bumper needs to look more off roadish, and you need some color. I have never seen a rally vehicle thats one solid color. Spruce it up with some stripes or somethin.
you also need a snorkel, and get a pic of jumpin it.
SizeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #26
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...
 
1x1_Speed_Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,424
iTrader: (121)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Looking good.
1x1_Speed_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #27
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,168
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

I think you're on the wrong forum for this. I also fail to see how rims on some ridiculous big wheel spacers ( i hope you don't DD this thing with those spacers) and vinyl will help you in any race.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #28
4Bangler
Jackstand Wheeler
 
4Bangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-19-06
Location: Alpena, Mi
Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Since when is this the "We only build rigs one way" forum? Last I checked it was Great Lakes 4x4.com, this appears to be a 4x4 (plenty of projects in this forum are not) and appears to be from the Great Lakes region (a few projects in this forum are not)

It's not my style, but I can appreciate the effort to do something different, everyone likes something different once in a while, which explains the time I saw Honcho smooching on a transvestite.

Keep the pics coming....especially if you get one of it jumping something.
__________________
(37) Jeeps and counting....a couple of them run, kinda.
4Bangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #29
team illuminata
Newbie
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks for your support 4Bangler. Very democratic of you. I doubt it will be jumping something any time soon. It's not meant to be a real race car, just a pretentious mock up of one.
team illuminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #30
4Bangler
Jackstand Wheeler
 
4Bangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-19-06
Location: Alpena, Mi
Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

That's cool, most of my rigs are just pretentious mockups.
__________________
(37) Jeeps and counting....a couple of them run, kinda.
4Bangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #31
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,236
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bangler View Post
Since when is this the "We only build rigs one way" forum? Last I checked it was Great Lakes 4x4.com, this appears to be a 4x4 (plenty of projects in this forum are not) and appears to be from the Great Lakes region (a few projects in this forum are not)

It's not my style, but I can appreciate the effort to do something different, everyone likes something different once in a while, which explains the time I saw Honcho smooching on a transvestite.

Keep the pics coming....especially if you get one of it jumping something.
hey I was drinking at the time and anybody could have made that mistake.

I like this guys idea with what he is doing, but right now I dont see it. I see a stock jeep with stickers, lights and rims. Not even close to a rally car look. It would be sweet if he could pull it off, but right now I'm not buying it. I would see about flaring the front fenders and rear quaters, looks of work but I think it might give this build just what it needed.
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #32
SlayerXJ
To Live is To Die
 
SlayerXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 2,825
iTrader: (93)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I kinda dig those magnum wheels, want to sell them?
SlayerXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #33
team illuminata
Newbie
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
hey I was drinking at the time and anybody could have made that mistake.

I like this guys idea with what he is doing, but right now I dont see it. I see a stock jeep with stickers, lights and rims. Not even close to a rally car look. It would be sweet if he could pull it off, but right now I'm not buying it. I would see about flaring the front fenders and rear quaters, looks of work but I think it might give this build just what it needed.
I was drinking when I conceived of this project.

I think I know what you mean but it was never meant to be that hardcore. If you look at the Toyota it is practically stock looking and that's what I'm going for. We have done plenty of rally-bling cars in a similar manner and a few "real" rally cars. This is meant to be the former. These are the latter:






team illuminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #34
team illuminata
Newbie
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerXJ View Post
I kinda dig those magnum wheels, want to sell them?
Sure. $300?
team illuminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #35
natureboynate47
Senior Member
 
natureboynate47's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-10-06
Location: oxford
Posts: 431
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

i'm confused..... i think we need some background info or something. for example: what is team illuminata? looks like a few pics have a shop in the background, do you build race cars or something? just wondering might help us understand. oh and the car looks cool. you should build a C-class TREC racer....lol
natureboynate47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #36
team illuminata
Newbie
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboynate47 View Post
i'm confused..... i think we need some background info or something. for example: what is team illuminata? looks like a few pics have a shop in the background, do you build race cars or something? just wondering might help us understand. oh and the car looks cool. you should build a C-class TREC racer....lol
Sorry for the confussion. We are not a registered vendor on this site so have not posted links to our site, yet. Perhaps this will clear things up a bit. www.teamilluminata.com. We mostly sell rally and race parts and do a little race prep for customers but mostly on our own cars. We aslo import BRAID wheels from Europe.

TREC looks fun and sounds a bit like a mini dessert race. Not quite rally. Shame it is 6 hours away. I have plenty more opportunities to race nearer home.

BTW for those who are interested in rally we are running our WRX in the Lake Superior Performance Rally next weekend up in Houghton, MI. Come on up and see the action. I will be in the service area all day.
team illuminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #37
Jdc215
Senior Member
 
Jdc215's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: Hartland/Fenton
Posts: 1,071
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

whats so great about BRAID wheels? maybe im just an ignorant hill billy. personally my favorite wheels are the ones that fit my truck and tires.
Jdc215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #38
team illuminata
Newbie
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdc215 View Post
whats so great about BRAID wheels? maybe im just an ignorant hill billy. personally my favorite wheels are the ones that fit my truck and tires.
Strong, light, relativley inexpensive, race proven and if you drive a Subaru or a Mitsubishi, in stock. If you drive a Jeep special order or buy some wheel adapters.

Oh, and did I mention they are strong:

team illuminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #39
nick_n_ii
Senior Member
 
nick_n_ii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-12-06
Location: North Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 1,688
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to nick_n_ii
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by team illuminata View Post
I was drinking when I conceived of this project.

I think I know what you mean but it was never meant to be that hardcore. If you look at the Toyota it is practically stock looking and that's what I'm going for. We have done plenty of rally-bling cars in a similar manner and a few "real" rally cars. This is meant to be the former. These are the latter:

That's no Toyota that's a Eagle Talon.

I think your heart in what your building is good but the look isn't quite there yet.

Maybe some window nets and a few skid plats would help..
nick_n_ii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #40
team illuminata
Newbie
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Location: Birmingham, MI
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_n_ii View Post
That's no Toyota that's a Eagle Talon.

I think your heart in what your building is good but the look isn't quite there yet.

Maybe some window nets and a few skid plats would help..
I was referring to the Toyota truck at the beginning of this thread actually.

I agree: not quite there yet.

It's funny, the people over on DirtyImpreza.com think it's great. I guess that's to be expected.
team illuminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 1.09837 seconds with 80 queries