In Memory of "JeepSter85" - Page 18 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #341
shockfuel
When in Rome...
 
shockfuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-25-07
Location: Grandville, Michigan
Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shockfuel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
Well, I just pulled in from Drummond Island. Hit my first deer on the way up. My bumper has a new look after nailing it at 75mph on US131.Can't believe I was lucky enough that it went under the Jeep instead of over the hood and into the windshield. NONE of the mechanicals were hurt, other than a bent trans cooler. But nothing leaks, so I'm all good.

It was a pleasure to meet all of you I didn't already know! Some GREAT folks. Sorry for the slow start. Next year we'll have to run the route backward so you can all see the rest of the trails I had planned for you. The better stuff was after the mud pits. you'd think after 25 years of this I would realize that I ALWAYS have too much trail planned for the day, lol.

Jeff, thanks for posting up the Tailgate Report link.
PLEASE fill them out! The DNRE doesn't think wheelers spend any money when they go out. I'll bet that store clerk thinks we do!

Sorry I had to bug out right after the run, but I had to get to Drummond. GLFWDA just got the trails up there designated as an ORV Route last year after DNRE Law Enforcement Division wanted to shut them all down to full sized rigs. It took us 2 years of meetings and now someone has given us a HUGE black eye. They drove their 4x4 down an ORV Trail (ORV Trails are for vehicles 50" wide or less, ORV Routes are for ALL vehicles [us]). The damage is extensive and has pissed off a LOT of Islanders against the 4x4 crowd. It will take the Drummond Island Off Road Club thousands of dollars and months of work to try to fix. You'll probably see a more official post about it in a couple of days (after I've had time to catch up on a few things).

I'd like to apologize about the small delay in the afternoon with the angry land owner. He didn't seem to understand the difference between a Certified (Act 51) Road and an uncertified (but still public) Road. All unimproved and most Seasonal Roads are not Certified Roads, but that obviously doesn't make them any less open to the public. I'll be at the Muskegon CRC office at 7:00am tomorrow morning to straighten that business out. I'll post the results of the meeting.

Again, it was a GREAT time running with all of you!


Sincerely,

Pat Brower
Chairman, Land Use Committee, GLFWDA

Pat,

I must say what's on my mind. I believe as a new(er) Off Road Enthusiast, that the community is blessed to have you. Meg and I attended the Two Trackers meeting tonight and heard a little more about the Drummond Island incident. Quite frankly? It was disgusting! To have people in our community (who know the consequences and repercussions) do what they did despite the fact that we're being frowned upon and our trails are being closed at an alarming rate, and seeing nothing wrong with their actions? That's total bullsh!t.

Any avid wheeler, hiker, geo cachers, etc. knows where they can and cannot go. Where they should and shouldn't be and what they can and cannot do while they're on the trails. ANY with common sense and respect for other enthusiasts that share their hobbie. We've all seen trails that have been abused, closed, and developed. Not to mention the fact that I can think of roughly 4 magazines that have titles such as "STOP TRAIL CLOSINGS! Are we losing ground?" (Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road, December 2010) that have stories and reasons why our trails are being closed. But, then to hear eyewitness accounts of seasoned veterans and their disregard for their fellow enthusiasts is just... unfair and offensive. Not to mention, RETARDED.

I'm sorry, Pat. I know that my family and I don't know you very well yet. But you're doing ONE HELL OF A JOB, and I respect you just as much as I respect anyone who stands up for what he/she believes in without fear of reprocussion. YOU ARE BLAZING A TRAIL THAT MANY SHOULD AND WILL FOLLOW. You deserve recognition for it.

Thanks for all that you do.
shockfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #342
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,174
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Thanks guys. It's nice to hear some appreciate the work involved.
I just want our trails back. They've been closing them for over 25 years now, so I don't expect to get them back overnight. Any progress is good progress. I just wish we could get organized enough to stop shooting ourselves in the foot!

The 3 tiered system only works if we're all watching our own area. United IS watching DC and GLFWDA IS watching Lansing. We need more clubs and individuals to join up and start watching their favorite places and keep in mind that GLFWDA / United aren't here to do it FOR you, they are here to do it WITH you. Local support is CRITICAL to success. GLFWDA was instrumental in getting Drummond designated, but could NOT have done it without the constant support of the Drummond Island Off Road Club (and MANY others too).

We need to all work together to get it done.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #343
trailtwister
Don't Insult My Stupidity
 
trailtwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-18-09
Location: Hardy Dam/Newaygo,Mi
Posts: 419
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Pat thanks for all you do
trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #344
xlr84fun18
Jeepin101
 
xlr84fun18's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-23-09
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 250
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Hey Pat, I meant to ask you before we left but forgot,lol. What tires are you running? When that guy came out to bitch, and you had to come back, me and the wife were sitting at the end of that road and I could hear ur tires hummin as you came haulin ass back,lol.
xlr84fun18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #345
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,174
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

KM2 Series BFG MTs.
Don't like them as much as I did the KM1s, but can't find KM1s anymore.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #346
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,174
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Just talked with he Muskegon Road Commission. They confirm that Gibson IS a public Road at this time, but that they are going to tell the land owner that if he really doesn't want people to use the road, he should Petition to have it abandoned. SO, we need to pay attention to the MCRC to see if they receive a Petition for Abandonment and FIGHT it.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #347
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 17,055
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
Just talked with he Muskegon Road Commission. They confirm that Gibson IS a public Road at this time, but that they are going to tell the land owner that if he really doesn't want people to use the road, he should Petition to have it abandoned. SO, we need to pay attention to the MCRC to see if they receive a Petition for Abandonment and FIGHT it.
Its on now!
I got my boxing gloves.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #348
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,174
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Just sent the Township Supervisor pictures and names/addresses from the trash piles too. Hopefully he can get some illegal dumpers prosecuted!
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #349
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,174
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Now we're going to have to contact the MCRC on a regular basis to ask if they've received a Petition to Abandon. That way we can stay on top of the situation.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #350
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 17,055
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
Just sent the Township Supervisor pictures and names/addresses from the trash piles too. Hopefully he can get some illegal dumpers prosecuted!
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
Now we're going to have to contact the MCRC on a regular basis to ask if they've received a Petition to Abandon. That way we can stay on top of the situation.
How often should we contact them?
Weekly? Bi-Weekly? Daily?
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #351
shockfuel
When in Rome...
 
shockfuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-25-07
Location: Grandville, Michigan
Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shockfuel
Default

Pat,

You mean to tell me that the idiots who dumped their trash forgot to shred letters with their address on them? Haha. Wow.

As per contacting the authorities to support wheelin' and keeping the trails open for all to enjoy, THIS IS WHY PAT AND OTHERS CONTINUE TO SAY: We need more people to join organizations that help the cause for these exact reasons!

Pat, any information on any organization(s) a person/family can join to support? The time to act is now! Especially with Decembers ORV Magazines and their cover topics. May have opened some eyes.
shockfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #352
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 17,055
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfuel View Post
Pat,

You mean to tell me that the idiots who dumped their trash forgot to shred letters with their address on them? Haha. Wow.

As per contacting the authorities to support wheelin' and keeping the trails open for all to enjoy, THIS IS WHY PAT AND OTHERS CONTINUE TO SAY: We need more people to join organizations that help the cause for these exact reasons!

Pat, any information on any organization(s) a person/family can join to support? The time to act is now! Especially with Decembers ORV Magazines and their cover topics. May have opened some eyes.
National: United Four Wheel Drive Association
http://www.ufwda.org/

Regional: Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
http://www.glfwda.org/

Local: Two Trackers Four Wheel Drive Club
http://www.twotrackers.org/
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #353
Moles
..are slippery
 
Moles's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-09
Location: Spring Lake, MI
Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfuel View Post
Pat,

I must say what's on my mind. I believe as a new(er) Off Road Enthusiast, that the community is blessed to have you. Meg and I attended the Two Trackers meeting tonight and heard a little more about the Drummond Island incident. Quite frankly? It was disgusting! To have people in our community (who know the consequences and repercussions) do what they did despite the fact that we're being frowned upon and our trails are being closed at an alarming rate, and seeing nothing wrong with their actions? That's total bullsh!t.

Any avid wheeler, hiker, geo cachers, etc. knows where they can and cannot go. Where they should and shouldn't be and what they can and cannot do while they're on the trails. ANY with common sense and respect for other enthusiasts that share their hobbie. We've all seen trails that have been abused, closed, and developed. Not to mention the fact that I can think of roughly 4 magazines that have titles such as "STOP TRAIL CLOSINGS! Are we losing ground?" (Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road, December 2010) that have stories and reasons why our trails are being closed. But, then to hear eyewitness accounts of seasoned veterans and their disregard for their fellow enthusiasts is just... unfair and offensive. Not to mention, RETARDED.

I'm sorry, Pat. I know that my family and I don't know you very well yet. But you're doing ONE HELL OF A JOB, and I respect you just as much as I respect anyone who stands up for what he/she believes in without fear of reprocussion. YOU ARE BLAZING A TRAIL THAT MANY SHOULD AND WILL FOLLOW. You deserve recognition for it.

Thanks for all that you do.
I could not agree more and could not have said this better myself. Except for the part about "users of our trails knowing where they should and shouldn't be...." The sad part is a lot of people do not find out what trails are legal or illegal before wheeling and this has to change.

Nice seeing you at the meeting, I recognized Meg from the Memorial Ride.

Last edited by Moles; October 7th, 2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added except..
Moles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #354
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,174
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

That's nice of you all, but my reward is seeing places like Drummond staying open against overwhelming odds. We came REALLY close to losing the Island's trails several times during the designation efforts. But in the end, we prevailed and that's what counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusKegon_ZJ_gurl View Post
How often should we contact them?
Weekly? Bi-Weekly? Daily?
Weekly for the first month or two. If we don't get wind of a Petition by then we can drop to twice a month for another couple of months.

IF they do get a Petition to Abandon the road, we'll need to show up at the meeting IN MASS to try to dissuade them from doing so.

Thank you for posting up the answer to shockfuel's question about organizations.




ALL of these organizations need volunteers to help them run smoothly. It's odd, but the more work an organization has to try to do, the fewer volunteers they get to help them with it. Local Clubs have a higher volunteer rate for their membership size than GLFWDA or United with United getting the fewest volunteers of them all. It's a wonder either of them gets as much accomplished as they do. But somehow they do!

Just joining allows them to claim more members and gives them more money to put into the cause. Let's face it, you get more respect in Lansing if you can say you represent 20,000 members than you do if you say you represent 2,000 members. Unfortunately, we have a ways to go to get to either of those numbers, so please help spread the word!


A Note about membership:

If you join the Two Trackers 4WD Club, you are automatically enrolled in both GLFWDA and United. The TTs are a 100% supporting member of GLFWDA and GLFWDA is a 100% supporting member of United. Let's face it, it doesn't do GLFWDA any good to get favorable legislation passed in Lansing if the Federal Government comes along and passes something more restrictive, so GLFWDA understands that United is critical to our success here in Michigan. That's why they insist on 100% support.

If you would rather not join the TT, or belong to another Club, joining GLFWDA automatically enrolls you in United because of their 100% support.

If you belong to another Club, PLEASE, try to convince them to become a 100% supporting member of GLFWDA!! We need ALL the wheelers we can get and in my opinion, the Clubs should be leading the way and setting an example for the rest of the wheeling crowd with their support.

United dues: $15/year
GLFWDA: $35/year ($15 goes to United and $20 stays with GLFWDA)
Two Trackers: $55/ year for non-voting ($15 for United, $20 for GLFWDA and $20 for the Two Trackers) The Two Trackers also have a voting membership for $60 if you think you'll make the meetings in GR. If you don't, please join at the non-voting level so you don't count against the quorum that must be present at a meeting before business can be conducted per the Club's By-Laws.

Last edited by Trail_Fanatic; October 7th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #355
upchuck
Senior Member
 
upchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: grand rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,100
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

[QUOTE=Moles;2381915]I could not agree more and could not have said this better myself. Except for the part about "users of our trails knowing where they should and shouldn't be...." The sad part is a lot of people do not find out what trails are legal or illegal before wheeling and this has to change.

There is still a perception that this is America, land of the free where people can go unrestricted into the woods as some sort of frontier.
This has changed to a reality that some unelected beaurocrats with agendas now control most aspects of our existence.
Citizens not hip to these realities through apathy and ignorance further tighten the noose on all of us.
Constant vigilance to maintain freedoms can seem futile when surrounded by masses absorbed by infotainment news.
Is this what thousands died for on Omaha, Normandy, Utah and others?
upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #356
camccardell
tiger blood
 
camccardell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-14-08
Location: Homer MI
Posts: 1,361
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

posted a long video under pics and vids of everyone playing in the mud!
camccardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.43355 seconds with 68 queries