2000 ranger 4x4 issues - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
tmattis
Newbie
 
Join Date: 03-20-10
Location: traverse city
Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 2000 ranger 4x4 issues

girlfriends truck, she was driving 45mph and looped it around into the ditch backwards. she was in 2x when she did this. she then flippped the dash switch to activate her 4x4 high range and pull out of the ditch. she says she was scared and gassed on before the 4x4 engaged and heard a loud bang before it drove out of the ditch. so....... the problem now is, truck drives great in 2x, put it in 4x high and drives great until just over 30 mph, then the front wheel locks up about every 100 feet. on dirt it leaves a tire skid mark but on pavement it just makes a bang noise and you can feel the bang through the floor boards. it only locks the drivers side tire up. i tore the drivers side down and the bearing looks great, cv shaft is in great condition. im stumped. the truck doesnt seem to do it in 4x low. is it inside the transfer case?
tmattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 6th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Did you inspect the locking hub? Was it normal or broken?
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Captain Ledd
Ranger Addiction?
 
Captain Ledd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Davisburg
Posts: 2,064
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Well, driving at speed in 4x4 high is bad on it's own.

How long of a skid mark does it leave?
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Quiefinator
go'til itsounds expensive
 
Join Date: 02-27-07
Location: Romeo
Posts: 987
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Im assuming automatic lockout hubs?

I would check and see if it is actually fully engaged in 4x4 when you click the switch on the dash. Just because you click it doesnt mean its in.

Could be a lot of things, personally i dont think u need to more than 20mph in 4H anyways.
Quiefinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #5
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,737
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

What tcase is it?
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Pop-Tart
RIP Collin
 
Pop-Tart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-10-08
Location: Wayland/Middleville, MI
Posts: 633
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
What tcase is it?
it would be a 1354E.

2000 was the transition year for the Pulse Vacuum Hubs to a live axle setup on the Ranger. So this truck could be PVH hubs or a live axle. Does this truck have PVH hubs or a live axle?

Thats an interesting sounding problem, doesn't sound like its even shifting into 4wd. maybe a pvh hub issue?

Last edited by Pop-Tart; December 6th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Pop-Tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Jeeperz Creeperz
GL 4x4 Vendors
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Wyandotte, MI
Posts: 3,127
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via AIM to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via MSN to Jeeperz Creeperz Send a message via Yahoo to Jeeperz Creeperz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmattis View Post
girlfriends truck, she was driving 45mph and looped it around into the ditch backwards. she was in 2x when she did this. she then flippped the dash switch to activate her 4x4 high range and pull out of the ditch. she says she was scared and gassed on before the 4x4 engaged and heard a loud bang before it drove out of the ditch. so....... the problem now is, truck drives great in 2x, put it in 4x high and drives great until just over 30 mph, then the front wheel locks up about every 100 feet. on dirt it leaves a tire skid mark but on pavement it just makes a bang noise and you can feel the bang through the floor boards. it only locks the drivers side tire up. i tore the drivers side down and the bearing looks great, cv shaft is in great condition. im stumped. the truck doesnt seem to do it in 4x low. is it inside the transfer case?
Might want to take a peak at the front axle housing, it might be cracked.
Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #8
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,737
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Wasn't sure if it would have the option of the 4404 like the explorer or not.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #9
tmattis
Newbie
 
Join Date: 03-20-10
Location: traverse city
Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default good news and bad news

ok. it is a 1354 elect. tcase, and has a live front axle. i pulled fuse #14 out to eliminate an abs brake problem. still locks left front every 100 feet or so. i talked to 2 truck mechanics from different shops and both said they thought the 4 high planetary was broke in the tcase. i took the electric motor off the back of the case and manually shifted it into 4 low and it does not create this problem. when i put it in 4 high the issue comes back instantly. as far as driving a vehicle 40 mph in 4 high, i dont see a problem with this vehicle. its a bone stock vehicle. ford says you can drive it 55, i wouldnt but they say its ok. so then the good news, i found a used in like new condition planetary for my 1354 electric tcase for 10 bucks on ebay and 10 for shipping. im not too thrilled about pulling it off the truck and splitting the case but i have done worse repair jobs. the only other place it could be is in the front housing. maybe a broken side gear. what do you think?
tmattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #10
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,737
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

If its in the front axle/housing then it wouldn't matter 4hi/4lo.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #11
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmattis View Post
ok. it is a 1354 elect. tcase, and has a live front axle. i pulled fuse #14 out to eliminate an abs brake problem. still locks left front every 100 feet or so. i talked to 2 truck mechanics from different shops and both said they thought the 4 high planetary was broke in the tcase. i took the electric motor off the back of the case and manually shifted it into 4 low and it does not create this problem. when i put it in 4 high the issue comes back instantly. as far as driving a vehicle 40 mph in 4 high, i dont see a problem with this vehicle. its a bone stock vehicle. ford says you can drive it 55, i wouldnt but they say its ok. so then the good news, i found a used in like new condition planetary for my 1354 electric tcase for 10 bucks on ebay and 10 for shipping. im not too thrilled about pulling it off the truck and splitting the case but i have done worse repair jobs. the only other place it could be is in the front housing. maybe a broken side gear. what do you think?
i have a good 1354 electric case for sale if you want it.
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #12
Quiefinator
go'til itsounds expensive
 
Join Date: 02-27-07
Location: Romeo
Posts: 987
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
If its in the front axle/housing then it wouldn't matter 4hi/4lo.
Its also live axle so all that shit is spinning anyways, 4x or 2x.

If your not pumped about swapping that gear just buy a new (used) t case. you can do that swap in a matter of 2 hours and then take your time rebuilding your tcase if you want.
Quiefinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.21654 seconds with 58 queries