Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Dodge Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
mj23polaris
Senior Member
 
mj23polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-21-09
Location: Manitou beach
Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default V10,V8 or cummins 2500 ram?

lookin at ram 2500s, plan is get one and get a Carli Suspension package, i want to go fast over bumps in the dunes, bust through a mud pit, drive to work, ive found teh truck i want i just dont know which motor

this is the kit im lookin at

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...ormance25.html
mj23polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #2
mj23polaris
Senior Member
 
mj23polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-21-09
Location: Manitou beach
Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

can this be moved put it in wrong place......


can it be put in general
mj23polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Fullsize4life
Kicking Cancers ASS
 
Fullsize4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-06
Location: Hart, Mi (next to silver lake)
Posts: 18,757
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Get a cummins. then you can tow when you get a wheeling rig also. If you just plan on wheeling it then look for a v8 i would say.
Fullsize4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,548
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

If you want to go fast over bumps, get the V8. I've had a lot of seat time in all 3 types, and, unloaded a V8 is a much much lighter truck and drives that way. Loaded, both big motors are nice. But they are 7000+lb trucks.

My 00 3/4 QC LB with a 360 and camper special (adds the rear sway bar and stiffer springs) handled very well, night and day better than the nose heavy V10/CTDs do.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
joe_jeep
welfare wheeler
 
joe_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-03-06
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 5,595
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_jeep
Default

Is the v10 that heavy? I know the cummins is an freighter anchor weight wise.
I didnt realize the v10 was so heavy.
joe_jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,548
iTrader: (54)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
Is the v10 that heavy? I know the cummins is an freighter anchor weight wise.
I didnt realize the v10 was so heavy.
Mine was a worn out suspension, but it felt like a tank. With me and the cap on it, I usually was 7700lbs empty at the scrap yard with my 96. My 2000 with the 360 was 5900 or 6000 without me in the truck.

I noticed a big difference in snow, the v8 truck was excellent in snow, the V10 just sank and got stuck. Did that a few times in my yard too. Nothing liek burying your loaded tow rig to the frame in your yard..

It just felt so much heavier than my V8 truck. The V8 felt faster unloaded. I know my V8 truck woudl beat a friends diesel of the same vintage unloaded.

Maybe a new one would feel different, mine had 100k miles when I got it, and was killing its 2nd transmission. My V8 truck was new off the lot. Both were ext cab long bed 4x4s.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Tie Dyed
O.G.
 
Tie Dyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,157
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tie Dyed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Mine was a worn out suspension, but it felt like a tank. With me and the cap on it, I usually was 7700lbs empty at the scrap yard with my 96. My 2000 with the 360 was 5900 or 6000 without me in the truck.

I noticed a big difference in snow, the v8 truck was excellent in snow, the V10 just sank and got stuck. Did that a few times in my yard too. Nothing liek burying your loaded tow rig to the frame in your yard..

It just felt so much heavier than my V8 truck. The V8 felt faster unloaded. I know my V8 truck woudl beat a friends diesel of the same vintage unloaded.

Maybe a new one would feel different, mine had 100k miles when I got it, and was killing its 2nd transmission. My V8 truck was new off the lot. Both were ext cab long bed 4x4s.
You would be surprised what a new set of tires does for getting stuck in the yard with that truck

I do agree, if you are looking to jump and race and do all that fun crap, a V8 is what you want. I have the V10, and while it is a good motor, it sucks fuel and is way too heavy to be jumping with.
__________________
2000 XJ with a 3 inch body lift
Tie Dyed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #8
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

You guys are such a buzzkill.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #9
mj23polaris
Senior Member
 
mj23polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-21-09
Location: Manitou beach
Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

single cab 8ft bed or ext cab short bed?
mj23polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #10
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,835
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23polaris View Post
lookin at ram 2500s, plan is get one and get a Carli Suspension package, i want to go fast over bumps in the dunes, bust through a mud pit, drive to work, ive found teh truck i want i just dont know which motor

this is the kit im lookin at

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...ormance25.html
V-10 if your going to using it for a toy, cummins if it's a tow rig. The v-10 is infinitally better than the v-8
wave_crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #11
mj23polaris
Senior Member
 
mj23polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-21-09
Location: Manitou beach
Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

well i think im gonna look for a single cab 8ft bed ram 2500
mj23polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #12
mj23polaris
Senior Member
 
mj23polaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-21-09
Location: Manitou beach
Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

lookin at this in the morn

http://usedcars.kbb.com/detail/cars/...&kbb_zip=49221
mj23polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM   #13
nickb304
Senior Member
 
nickb304's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-08
Location: jackson/mi
Posts: 615
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

what year trucks? 2nd gen or 3rd gen? the 360 in the old trucks was a turd. I love the v-10 in my girlfriend's 98 2500. it pulls like a mule and scoots around pretty good when empty. but i think the hemi in my 08 gets it better than the v-10 when unloaded. no experience with the ctd.
nickb304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Dodge Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.13686 seconds with 36 queries