how am this pattern look? **UPDATE** - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #1
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default how am this pattern look? **UPDATE**




Have about 1000 miles on the axle - this pattern provides quiet cruising with a bit of noise coasting. Nothing I can't ignore.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker

Last edited by ScOoTeR; September 11th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 19,652
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Default

thats not to bad
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
JeepMizer
Member
 
Join Date: 07-07-10
Location: Dbn Hts, Mi
Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Looks yellow to me.
JeepMizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #4
1988JeepXj
XJ Aficianado
 
1988JeepXj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-10-09
Location: Redford, Mi
Posts: 1,120
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 1988JeepXj Send a message via Yahoo to 1988JeepXj Send a message via Skype™ to 1988JeepXj
Default

Nice TrueTrac :jealous:
1988JeepXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #5
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMizer View Post
Looks yellow to me.
I don't know you Sir, but I think I like you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988JeepXj View Post
Nice TrueTrac :jealous:
Then you're going to be pissed to know this is going in an Astrovan...
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #6
crassell
Senior Member
 
crassell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-03-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 1,346
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

post pic of astrovan
crassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #7
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassell View Post
post pic of astrovan
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #8
creeping death
I'm that guy.
 
creeping death's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: MUSKEGON, MI. 49442
Posts: 8,041
iTrader: (83)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Default

pimpin!
__________________
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker.
creeping death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #9
SANDVIPR
Yeeeee Haaaaw!
 
SANDVIPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: Holland
Posts: 7,649
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

I'd run it....
SANDVIPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #10
crassell
Senior Member
 
crassell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-03-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 1,346
iTrader: (43)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

nice looking van
you should change your name to SocKeR mOm

Last edited by crassell; August 1st, 2010 at 07:50 AM.
crassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #11
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,031
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Looks like good tooth contact to me.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #12
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassell View Post
nice looking van
you should change your name to ScOcKeR mOm
You should change your name to shut the hell up!
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #13
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,777
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

It looks like it's a little out on the tooth, depending on how much of a PITA it was to get to that point, I'd see if you can get the contact patch into the root a little further and slightly outwards on the diameter. It's a little hard to tell in the pics but does the contact patch fall off the tip of the ring gear teeth or is it just some of the scuffing after the contact area?

I usually mess with it until I get the sweet spot that looks good and then see if I can get it any better making .002-.003" adjustments, if each change makes it worse then it's a good sign you're in the sweet spot.

But, if you dont have setup bearings and it's a big PITA then I'd say it's close enough and just run it if all the clearances and preloads check out. For what it's duty cycle is, I'm sure it'll be issue free.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #14
joe_jeep
welfare wheeler
 
joe_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-03-06
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 5,824
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_jeep
Default

id wheel it.
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,987
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Default

Shallow. Add .003 to .005.

The higher on the tooth the weaker the gear set, I would not run that pattern.
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #16
Tranny Tom
Switcheroo
 
Tranny Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Southfield
Posts: 3,848
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Scooter,

I'm assuming you just did a carrier swap... Correct? If so, how much backlash do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
It looks like it's a little out on the tooth, depending on how much of a PITA it was to get to that point, I'd see if you can get the contact patch into the root a little further and slightly outwards on the diameter. It's a little hard to tell in the pics but does the contact patch fall off the tip of the ring gear teeth or is it just some of the scuffing after the contact area?

I usually mess with it until I get the sweet spot that looks good and then see if I can get it any better making .002-.003" adjustments, if each change makes it worse then it's a good sign you're in the sweet spot.

But, if you dont have setup bearings and it's a big PITA then I'd say it's close enough and just run it if all the clearances and preloads check out. For what it's duty cycle is, I'm sure it'll be issue free.
I agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyevil View Post
Shallow. Add .003 to .005.

The higher on the tooth the weaker the gear set, I would not run that pattern.
If he did just a carrier swap, in theory he shouldn't have to change the pinion depth. I would recheck backlash first before sinking it. If the backlash is on the high end, he could tighten it up and recheck the pattern, it would probably bring it to a near perfect pattern.

I also agree with Bryce... It's an Astro Van, it would probably be just fine. It isn't really going to see hard use.




























I would try adjusting first by sinking it or adjusting BL before I ran that pattern.
Tranny Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,987
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Tom View Post
If he did just a carrier swap, in theory he shouldn't have to change the pinion depth. I would recheck backlash first before sinking it. If the backlash is on the high end, he could tighten it up and recheck the pattern, it would probably bring it to a near perfect pattern.

I also agree with Bryce... It's an Astro Van, it would probably be just fine. It isn't really going to see hard use.
He said pinion bearings as well, but even if not, I've seen factory setups that weren't great patterns.

Backlash will move the pattern slightly deeper or shallow, but it tends to move the pattern more from heel to toe than anything.

It takes what, 20 more minutes to make it perfect?
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #18
Tranny Tom
Switcheroo
 
Tranny Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Southfield
Posts: 3,848
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyevil View Post
He said pinion bearings as well, but even if not, I've seen factory setups that weren't great patterns.

Backlash will move the pattern slightly deeper or shallow, but it tends to move the pattern more from heel to toe than anything.

It takes what, 20 more minutes to make it perfect?
I agree with as well...
If he pulled the pinion, then I agree try and sink it. I have also crappy patterns on factory GM gears.

Did you see my disclaimer on the bottom of my last post?
Tranny Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,987
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranny Tom View Post
I agree with as well...
If he pulled the pinion, then I agree try and sink it. I have also crappy patterns on factory GM gears.

Did you see my disclaimer on the bottom of my last post?
I did see it.
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #20
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyevil View Post
It takes what, 20 more minutes to make it perfect?
IF I had setup bearings for my pinion, or a press - yes.

I have no press to get that damned bearing off to add teh sheemz. Currently has an 0.041 in there.

Consarn it all!
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.32058 seconds with 80 queries