ford 4.0 vs. jeep 4.0 which is better? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default ford 4.0 vs. jeep 4.0 which is better?

i keep wondering this so i thought i would ask. i know jeep guys will say jeep and ford guys will say ford. but really which is better spec and life wise?
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #2
cglenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Location: .
Posts: 5,719
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Why? I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples since one is an I-6 and the other is a V-6 but oh well. I don't know much about the Ford 4.0 but I like the Jeep 4.0 better. They last a long time, easy to stroke, plenty of power etc.
cglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

see i know nothing about jeeps lol this is y i am asking
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #4
liftedandgifted
Senior Member
 
liftedandgifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-14-09
Location: Petoskey Michigan
Posts: 568
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Ford 4.0's suck for one reason. The front and rear timing chains and cassettes that go out. 16hr book time to change the three timing chains. Stupid fricken German engineering. i do not work at a dealership and we still do them on a regular basis.
liftedandgifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #5
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,524
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

I've seen more Jeeps with high mileage 4.0s than I have Fords with high mileage 4.0s but I think they are both a decent motor. I don't know the specs on the Ford 4.0 but I wouldn't be surprised if it made more hp but less torque, and I would bet the I6 makes power at a lower RPM
ajmorell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Kodiak450r
Keep on truckin
 
Kodiak450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-07
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

just for a comparison a 03 ford ranger with the 4.0 is 160HP@4000 rpm and 225ft-lbs@2500 rpm. a 03 jeep wrangler with the 4.0 has 181HP@4600 rpm and 222ft-lbs@2200 rpm. IMO the jeep has more torque down low rpm and more power overall making for a better engine based on just those specs.

comparing engines is like guys comparing dicks. no matter how big yours is someone elses is always bigger. teacher told me that joke
Kodiak450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #7
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedandgifted View Post
Ford 4.0's suck for one reason. The front and rear timing chains and cassettes that go out. 16hr book time to change the three timing chains. Stupid fricken German engineering. i do not work at a dealership and we still do them on a regular basis.
How many miles? What years?

My 2004 was fine with 100k on it when I sold it.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #8
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak450r View Post
just for a comparison a 03 ford ranger with the 4.0 is 160HP@4000 rpm and 225ft-lbs@2500 rpm. a 03 jeep wrangler with the 4.0 has 181HP@4600 rpm and 222ft-lbs@2200 rpm. IMO the jeep has more torque down low rpm and more power overall making for a better engine based on just those specs.

comparing engines is like guys comparing dicks. no matter how big yours is someone elses is always bigger. teacher told me that joke
Incorrect. They started putting the OHC 4.0 in the ranger in 2001. It makes 207hp @ 5,250rpm and 238 ft-lbs @ 3,000rpm.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #9
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

my 4.0 has 213 hp and 280 torque so is there really that bad a prob with timeing chains
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #10
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Incorrect. They started putting the OHC 4.0 in the ranger in 2001. It makes 207hp @ 5,250rpm and 238 ft-lbs @ 3,000rpm.
yes this is right lol they are better than the other so ur facts are wrong buddy
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Kodiak450r
Keep on truckin
 
Kodiak450r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-07
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Incorrect. They started putting the OHC 4.0 in the ranger in 2001. It makes 207hp @ 5,250rpm and 238 ft-lbs @ 3,000rpm.
well then i guess my service manual is wrong. after looking up specs from ford your right.
Kodiak450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #12
liftedandgifted
Senior Member
 
liftedandgifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-14-09
Location: Petoskey Michigan
Posts: 568
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The three we have done in the last two months was the one guy that works here which is a 2002 with 147,000 miles. It has always had mobile one in it since new and changed regularly not that it means much. Another is an 2002 with 47,000 miles. This one must have rattled bad before they finally heard it. When we got it in is sounded like a chain beating around in the washing machine and actually wore through a cassette. Bad part was we changed the cassettes gears and chains but it back together and it had a miss and would pop through the intake. That one screwed us as it had three bent intake valves on the left side. And the last one was a 2003 Explorer at 163000. There are more but those are the recent.
liftedandgifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #13
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

wow i need to watch for this thanks man ur a life saver lol
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #14
bigdogwaggy
Senior Member
 
bigdogwaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-09
Location: s.w. michigan
Posts: 917
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i have seen more jeep 4.0 with 250+k than the fords. the downfall of the jeep is it is a heavy motor. but if taken care of just a little it will take a heck of a beating and ask for more.
bigdogwaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #15
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak450r View Post
well then i guess my service manual is wrong. after looking up specs from ford your right.
so than the ford 4.0 has more power than the jeep 4.0 ? is that what this means?
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #16
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogwaggy View Post
i have seen more jeep 4.0 with 250+k than the fords. the downfall of the jeep is it is a heavy motor. but if taken care of just a little it will take a heck of a beating and ask for more.
but if the ford 4.0 was keep in amazing shap and taken care of every 2000 miles like i do it should last a long time to right lol
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #17
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak450r View Post
well then i guess my service manual is wrong. after looking up specs from ford your right.
You are correct on your numbers I believe, but your numbers are for the pushrod 4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedandgifted View Post
The three we have done in the last two months was the one guy that works here which is a 2002 with 147,000 miles. It has always had mobile one in it since new and changed regularly not that it means much. Another is an 2002 with 47,000 miles. This one must have rattled bad before they finally heard it. When we got it in is sounded like a chain beating around in the washing machine and actually wore through a cassette. Bad part was we changed the cassettes gears and chains but it back together and it had a miss and would pop through the intake. That one screwed us as it had three bent intake valves on the left side. And the last one was a 2003 Explorer at 163000. There are more but those are the recent.
Yikes, I am glad that I got rid of mine before that happened.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #18
demon-fx4
03 FX4 LEVEL II on 32 KM2
 
demon-fx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Location: Comstock Park, MI
Posts: 738
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
You are correct on your numbers I believe, but your numbers are for the pushrod 4.0.



Yikes, I am glad that I got rid of mine before that happened.
well i think i'll keep mine lol i am looking for a gen 1 ranger for the 302
demon-fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #19
liftedandgifted
Senior Member
 
liftedandgifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-14-09
Location: Petoskey Michigan
Posts: 568
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If you start hearing what sounds like spark knock under loads and it seams to be getting worse It most likely is the chains getting loose. Funny part is the guy at work noticed this around sixty thousand miles but the owners manual said with the engines some spark knock is normal so he ignored it until it kept getting louder and louder. Once we fixed the timing chains it mysteriously went away. The rattle sounds a lot like spark knock.
liftedandgifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #20
liftedandgifted
Senior Member
 
liftedandgifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-14-09
Location: Petoskey Michigan
Posts: 568
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

with the jeeps all we fix is cracked exhaust manifolds and the oil leaks that never like to go away. Other than that they are pretty tough engines.
liftedandgifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.31522 seconds with 82 queries