Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Tea Partiers

This quote was so good I had to copy and paste it. Not my words. I'm not taking credit here.

"There are a lot of children out there who want their parents to protect them from the evils of the world, keep their siblings and other neighborhood children from beating them up, and clean up the messes they make, but want these same parents to leave them alone and dispense with rules, curfews, set bedtimes, and other pesky regulations. The incongruence of this is lost on them — but after all, they’re only children.

Tea partiers want the government to let corporations run the way they want to without any regulations, but expect the government to keep corporations from taking jobs away to another country.

Tea partiers want the government to allow offshore drilling without any regulations, but consider it the government’s fault and the government’s responsibility when something goes wrong.

Tea partiers want the government to quit regulating workplaces for safety, even for hazardous workplaces such as coal mines. Yet when a mine collapses and kills workers, it’s the government’s fault for allowing it to happen.

Tea partiers want to quit paying taxes and the government to quit giving “handouts” to other people. But they want the government to continue giving “handouts” to the “real Americans” — like farm subsidies. In other words, eliminate the other guy’s entitlements, but leave mine alone.

Yep — their logic pretty much looks like the logic of a child."
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM   #2
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,616
iTrader: (7)
And you believe this is what they really want?

Moron.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM   #3
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
And you believe this is what they really want?

Moron.
Well, having done a bit of web research I would say that it's pretty close.

Since I'm such a moron, why don't you share some of your profound wisdom with me and educate me the facts?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Nuggets
Professional Pisser Offer
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,302
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Well, having done a bit of web research I would say that it's pretty close.

Since I'm such a moron, why don't you share some of your profound wisdom with me and educate me the facts?
Do you consider what you originally posted fact?
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #5
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: north of a bankrupt city
Posts: 3,041
iTrader: (3)
since you did a bunch of "web research" would you please qoute your sources?

there MUST be some tea party website which outlines the aims, goals, objectives, philosophy of the tea party movement.

i will read it with interest and maybe even learn something. and please don't qoute wikipedia or any other 'open source' website. use something that can be tied directly to the leaders of this movement.
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM   #6
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 20,705
iTrader: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Well, having done a bit of web research I would say that it's pretty close.

Since I'm such a moron, why don't you share some of your profound wisdom with me and educate me the facts?
Just for you:
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM   #7
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhri View Post
since you did a bunch of "web research" would you please qoute your sources?

there MUST be some tea party website which outlines the aims, goals, objectives, philosophy of the tea party movement.

i will read it with interest and maybe even learn something. and please don't qoute wikipedia or any other 'open source' website. use something that can be tied directly to the leaders of this movement.
We both know this is a rhetorical challenge, so why don't we not waste bandwidth and just jump ahead to what it is you're trying to achieve with it? We both know about Tea Party Patriots, etc. I've visited their sites. What's your point?

Wiki is actually a pretty good source for information. You know why? Because anyone can challenge anything that is posted there. If you can disprove what's on there, they will take it down. If you can add to what's there, they will put it up. If what you added was later disproved, it will be taken back down. Very fair system that, interestingly enough, is identical to the "peer review" system practices by the scientific community to test hypotheses and theses.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:24 AM   #8
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,621
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
We both know this is a rhetorical challenge, so why don't we not waste bandwidth and just jump ahead to what it is you're trying to achieve with it? We both know about Tea Party Patriots, etc. I've visited their sites. What's your point?

Wiki is actually a pretty good source for information. You know why? Because anyone can challenge anything that is posted there. If you can disprove what's on there, they will take it down. If you can add to what's there, they will put it up. If what you added was later disproved, it will be taken back down. Very fair system that, interestingly enough, is identical to the "peer review" system practices by the scientific community to test hypotheses and theses.


That has never stopped you before, why is it an issue now?
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:27 AM   #9
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,092
iTrader: (11)
Smaller gov, manage money better, get rid of lifetime politicians, replace with people who have actually had to go to work to make a living. That was what was explained to me when I asked about it. Makes sense to me but I've been called stupid by ignorant people also.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM   #10
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,092
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
We both know this is a rhetorical challenge, so why don't we not waste bandwidth and just jump ahead to what it is you're trying to achieve with it? We both know about Tea Party Patriots, etc. I've visited their sites. What's your point?

Wiki is actually a pretty good source for information. You know why? Because anyone can challenge anything that is posted there. If you can disprove what's on there, they will take it down. If you can add to what's there, they will put it up. If what you added was later disproved, it will be taken back down. Very fair system that, interestingly enough, is identical to the "peer review" system practices by the scientific community to test hypotheses and theses.
All I read was , change subject. That's usually an ignorant persons response btw.
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #11
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,410
iTrader: (40)
I think tea party people are morons because they are not really doing anything...but big agoodbuzz is even a bigger one
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM   #12
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,108
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
I think tea party people are morons because they are not really doing anything...but big agoodbuzz is even a bigger one
What are you doing?
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #13
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,941
iTrader: (8)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Tea partiers want the government to quit regulating workplaces for safety, even for hazardous workplaces such as coal mines. Yet when a mine collapses and kills workers, it’s the government’s fault for allowing it to happen.
I don't want the governement to quit regulating industries. They need to regulate them properly, without all the bureacracy and red tape. They need to follow through on regulations and inspections that actually seek out and prevent issues like this. They need to stop creating regulatory agencies to regulate other agencies that regulate other agencies. We don't need 40 people supervising 2 people in the field that don't actually do the inspections because they are too busy filing reports to those 40 people. We want responsible government and responsible spending.

And yes, you are a fucking idiot.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #14
VeniVidiVici`
Member
 
VeniVidiVici`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-11-08
Location: Mishawaka,IN
Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
I don't want the governement to quit regulating industries. They need to regulate them properly, without all the bureacracy and red tape. They need to follow through on regulations and inspections that actually seek out and prevent issues like this. They need to stop creating regulatory agencies to regulate other agencies that regulate other agencies. We don't need 40 people supervising 2 people in the field that don't actually do the inspections because they are too busy filing reports to those 40 people. We want responsible government and responsible spending.

And yes, you are a fucking idiot.
X20,000,000,000,ooo Thats in numbers our currant govt. understands!!!
VeniVidiVici` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM   #15
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,410
iTrader: (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
What are you doing?
waiting for it to start, so I can take my place in history
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #16
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,984
iTrader: (3)
It sounds like to me that it was an upset liberal that wrote that piece. Upset that this fall conservatives will take control of the house and senate. Then we will all see very angry liberals across this country screaming, "It's Bush's fault".
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #17
fabguy01
hammer down grabbin gears
 
fabguy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-20-10
Location: ravenna,Mi
Posts: 293
iTrader: (3)
I think that the real solution is quite simple, remove all of the senetors, congressmen, and represenitives and start a TRUE democracy where the people actually vote on the bills to be passed or not ,say once a month.
While your at it you should remove the "executive order" abillities of the president
fabguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM   #18
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,555
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy01 View Post
I think that the real solution is quite simple, remove all of the senetors, congressmen, and represenitives and start a TRUE democracy where the people actually vote on the bills to be passed or not ,say once a month.
While your at it you should remove the "executive order" abillities of the president

That would involve throwing out the Constitution. mmmmm interesting.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM   #19
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,831
iTrader: (11)
We need a level of regulation - rational, well thought-through, effective, and fact-based regulation. Not emotional, irrational, gesture politics, or fashion-based.

Examples of good regulation: meaningful, science & probabalistic risk assessment-based rules from the FDA, NRC, FAA, and OSHA as well as many SEC rules.

Examples of bad regulation: Mandating the granting of mortgages to unqualified borrowers, race/gender-based hiring or admission quotas, EPA rules driven by emotion or appearance, non-scientific auto safety standards (the center brake light).

What the liberal crowd doesn't get is that government needs to work with business in crafting regulation. Government's role is not to punish or prevent success - in a well-designed system, they should work together as allies (each with their respective roles).

When regulation is rational and fact-based this can work. Our competitors (Japan, Korea, China, etc...) all have a high level of government/business cooperation - so we need to follow suit if we expect to compete. The nuclear business is a model of this - it's about the most regulated business there is, yet the regulator and business cooperate in the development of new rules and revision of existing ones. Safety is not compromised.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM   #20
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,555
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
We need a level of regulation - rational, well thought-through, effective, and fact-based regulation. Not emotional, irrational, gesture politics, or fashion-based.

Examples of good regulation: meaningful, science & probabalistic risk assessment-based rules from the FDA, NRC, FAA, and OSHA as well as many SEC rules.

Examples of bad regulation: Mandating the granting of mortgages to unqualified borrowers, race/gender-based hiring or admission quotas, EPA rules driven by emotion or appearance, non-scientific auto safety standards (the center brake light).

What the liberal crowd doesn't get is that government needs to work with business in crafting regulation. Government's role is not to punish or prevent success - in a well-designed system, they should work together as allies (each with their respective roles).

When regulation is rational and fact-based this can work. Our competitors (Japan, Korea, China, etc...) all have a high level of government/business cooperation - so we need to follow suit if we expect to compete. The nuclear business is a model of this - it's about the most regulated business there is, yet the regulator and business cooperate in the development of new rules and revision of existing ones. Safety is not compromised.

I agree with this completely, with one exception.

Pointing out "the liberal crowd" as the problem is not wholly accurate. There is plenty of evidence of the conservatives among us kowtowing to industry to eliminate reasonable regulation.

This problem goes on year after year and administration after administration.

I find it funny how one group can support something when it is introduced by someone they agree with, yet oppose it when it is brought up by the "other guys". This is what has to stop before we can make reasonable progress.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.24963 seconds with 50 queries