The Sacraments - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #21
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz View Post
I haven't been a Baptist for quite some time, but I'll do my best.

The Baptists don't really identify sacraments as such, and generally do not ascribe supernatural power to human rituals. They do have a great deal of reverence for the symbolism in the rituals, though, and view two of them as an essential part of Christian practice: Baptism and the Lord's Supper (Communion or Eucharist). These are called "pictorial ordinances," because they were both demonstrated by and ordained by Christ during his earthly ministry.

Obviously, baptism is important to Baptists. They usually practice full immersion baptism--the entire body goes under the water--and it is typically reserved for people who have a full awareness of the significance of the event. They do not, as a rule, baptise infants. Baptism is not usually viewed as having any salvific power; it is merely a public symbolic act.

Communion is taken irregularly. Some congregations take it weekly, and others more infrequently. Monthly seems to be the norm, as far as I have seen. Again, there is no supernatural event associated with the Lord's Supper--it is purely symbolic.
Wow. Very nicely explained!
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #22
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
My reference to confessional and church was rhetorical. Thereagain, it could be said that confessional doesn't have to happen in a building, but it does require 2 or more people...
Bingo. And that's where so many Denominations Differ. As I understand it, Roman Catholics have to confess to a Priest because the Priest is the only one that can go to God about it. Most other Denominations believe that Christ's Sacrifice allows us to go to God Directly. There technically doesn't even need to be more then just one person. It is, however, suggested by Paul that we confess our sins to each other so that we can pray for each other.

The Two or more people thing is just a Single Verse. In all reality God resides in every Christian that is living in his will. That is what the Holy spirit is. In the OT the Presence of God resided in the Holy of hollies in the Hebrew temple. That curtain that separated the presence of God from us sinful humans was torn in two when Christ Died. Literally. Now he lives in us, effectively making each and every Christian A 'church'. When one or more is gathered is just a way of showing that if two or more Christians get together Christ will be in thier minds, hearts, and Conversation.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #23
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Bingo. And that's where so many Denominations Differ. As I understand it, Roman Catholics have to confess to a Priest because the Priest is the only one that can go to God about it. Most other Denominations believe that Christ's Sacrifice allows us to go to God Directly. There technically doesn't even need to be more then just one person. It is, however, suggested by Paul that we confess our sins to each other so that we can pray for each other.

The Two or more people thing is just a Single Verse. In all reality God resides in every Christian that is living in his will. That is what the Holy spirit is. In the OT the Presence of God resided in the Holy of hollies in the Hebrew temple. That curtain that separated the presence of God from us sinful humans was torn in two when Christ Died. Literally. Now he lives in us, effectively making each and every Christian A 'church'. When one or more is gathered is just a way of showing that if two or more Christians get together Christ will be in thier minds, hearts, and Conversation.
You didn't respond to my question/comment in red though. What about that?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #24
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Quote:
So then marriage could possibly be described as a very powerful way to walk with Christ?
My reference to confessional and church was rhetorical. Thereagain, it could be said that confessional doesn't have to happen in a building, but it does require 2 or more people...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
You didn't respond to my question/comment in red though. What about that?

Sorry, I'm getting lazy I guess. Having to write the Different Codes to include those red sentences and all. .

I believe that Marriage can be a Very powerful way to ENHANCE a already strong relationship with Christ. It is not a way to get into heaven and, to be honest, can Hinder some Christians. It's about what it does for your relationship with God that is important, that's all that Sacraments should do, ENHANCE your relationship With God.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #25
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Sorry, I'm getting lazy I guess. Having to write the Different Codes to include those red sentences and all. .

I believe that Marriage can be a Very powerful way to ENHANCE a already strong relationship with Christ. It is not a way to get into heaven and, to be honest, can Hinder some Christians. It's about what it does for your relationship with God that is important, that's all that Sacraments should do, ENHANCE your relationship With God.
And if you don't have a relationship with god?

You say we're all sinners. Which sins are acceptable and which aren't?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #26
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
And if you don't have a relationship with god?

You say we're all sinners. Which sins are acceptable and which aren't?
Then you Don't have a Christian Marriage but a Secular one. That just means your sticking it in with a Person you 'love' and want to spend the rest of your life with and all that comes with that. Just minus the Religious part.

No sin is Acceptable to God (The Father). Sin, by definition, is The Absence of God (The Father). Therefore God cannot be in the presence of ANY sin. However God (the Son) can be in the presence of Sin because he is a Different role then God (the Father). That is why he could come to earth while we were in our, still sinful, states. God's (the Trinity) standards are set at perfection so no Sin is acceptable because Sin is an imperfection.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #27
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Then you Don't have a Christian Marriage but a Secular one. That just means your sticking it in with a Person you 'love' and want to spend the rest of your life with and all that comes with that. Just minus the Religious part.

No sin is Acceptable to God (The Father). Sin, by definition, is The Absence of God (The Father). Therefore God cannot be in the presence of ANY sin. However God (the Son) can be in the presence of Sin because he is a Different role then God (the Father). That is why he could come to earth while we were in our, still sinful, states. God's (the Trinity) standards are set at perfection so no Sin is acceptable because Sin is an imperfection.
I've noticed that no one else is getting in to this, but I wonder if others agree with you.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #28
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
I've noticed that no one else is getting in to this, but I wonder if others agree with you.
Doubting my Credibility? I think you'll find that most do agree with me. It's pretty basic theological thinking. Because, after all, I am a Basic Thinking person.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #29
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,586
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
I've noticed that no one else is getting in to this, but I wonder if others agree with you.
What is there to "get in to"?
L4CX posted his beliefs. I agree that they are his beliefs.
I posted what the church I grew up in considers sacraments and you ignored them.
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this thread is.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #30
MonkeyBiz
Master Cocksman
 
MonkeyBiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Whitehall
Posts: 8,612
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBiz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Wow. Very nicely explained!
Thanks but for what it is worth.. I googled it. I was born and raised STRICT Babtist, Rebeled, and have no settled down. But it does hit exactly on my thoughts. I did do Communion, and I was fully emersed when I was babtised. I don't do communion right now. I was brought up to believe in the reverence of having the Lords supper with Christ, and you should be good in your walk with him. Since I know I am not a "good" Christian, if I am at Church, and there is communion, and choose not to partake.
__________________
In bed, according to prophesy.

Last edited by MonkeyBiz; June 15th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
MonkeyBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #31
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,833
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this thread is.
There isn't one. Like all the others on these subjects, they are pointless babble.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #32
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz View Post
Thanks but for what it is worth.. I googled it. I was born and raised STRICT Babtist, Rebeled, and have no settled down. But it does hit exactly on my thoughts. I did do Communion, and I was fully emersed when I was babtised. I don't do communion right now. I was brought up to believe in the reverence of having the Lords supper with Christ, and you should be good in your walk with him. Since I know I am not a "good" Christian, if I am at Church, and there is communion, and choose not to partake.

None of us are. For the record. We're all Horrible Christians. I hope that you will some day "settle down" and find a way to have a Fulfilling life with Christ. And, BTW, that was a great explanation of the sacraments.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #33
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Doubting my Credibility? I think you'll find that most do agree with me. It's pretty basic theological thinking. Because, after all, I am a Basic Thinking person.
Not doubt. Just intellectual curiosity.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #34
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
What is there to "get in to"?
L4CX posted his beliefs. I agree that they are his beliefs.
I posted what the church I grew up in considers sacraments and you ignored them.
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this thread is.
By "get in to" I meant adding their thoughts.

I apologize if I didn't adequately acknowledge your contribution to the discussion. I did not ignore you. I was waiting for others to contribute. I'm looking for more than a few opinions. Besides, just because that's what your church said they were doesn't mean others had the same ones, right?

It isn't that there's a point like you suspect, it's that I wanted to understand which sacraments are fundamental and common in ALL of you. From them I would raise a few questions about fundamental things and see how they would be answered.

I'm not here to pick a fight. I'm here to ask questions. Just because you answered with your beliefs doesn't mean that I should stop taking responses and just move forward. I was hoping for more.

That said, and going back to the earlier explanation, can I then safeley assume:

1. That 2 or more people in worship of Christ can be called a church?

2. That even if one has sinned, they may be part of that church and walk with Christ?

3. That no sin is different than any other because no sin is acceptable to God, and all sins are forgiven by Christ?

My "point" may be coming next...
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #35
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
I've noticed that no one else is getting in to this, but I wonder if others agree with you.
I haven't gotten into it because I am a Godless Heathen.

Well, actually, I am closer to Buddhism than anything else.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #36
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,586
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post

That said, and going back to the earlier explanation, can I then safeley assume:

1. That 2 or more people in worship of Christ can be called a church?

2. That even if one has sinned, they may be part of that church and walk with Christ?

3. That no sin is different than any other because no sin is acceptable to God, and all sins are forgiven by Christ?

My "point" may be coming next...
yes, yes, and yes.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #37
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post

That said, and going back to the earlier explanation, can I then safeley assume:

1. That 2 or more people in worship of Christ can be called a church?

2. That even if one has sinned, they may be part of that church and walk with Christ?

3. That no sin is different than any other because no sin is acceptable to God, and all sins are forgiven by Christ?

My "point" may be coming next...
1. Yes, But we're also considered a Temple of the Holy Spirit all day, every day. 'Church' Is just another word used to describe the body of Christ or, how much people understand it, the building where they meet.


2. Yes, Because we all sin. All the time. The way to become part of that church (the body of Christ) is to Willingly acknowledge your sin to Christ, turn from it, and allow him to help you work on not sinning any more.

3. No Sin is Different then any other - For the most part, True. As far as God's/Jesus's View on sin, they are all the same. As far as the impact they can have on our lives, they are not the same. 1 Corinthians 6:12 - 20 Talks about Sexual sin being different as it's sinning agianst your own body. But as far as Levels of Sin, there is little to no reference that I know of that are Biblically Based.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #38
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
I haven't gotten into it because I am a Godless Heathen.

Well, actually, I am closer to Buddhism than anything else.
Really...? So what is your view of Buddhism compared to Existentialism? Similar? Not? Why? I know this is off topic, but it's an interesting discussion. Do you believe existence precedes essence?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.34214 seconds with 74 queries