94 K1500 affordable suspension lift options. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Chevy Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #1
SULLY313
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-10-10
Location: Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 124
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default 94 K1500 affordable suspension lift options.

The truck I just purchased has a 3" body lift to accommodate 33" tires. I hate the look of the body lift. What are my options for suspension lift that won't break the bank? I don't want to drop $1500-2k on a lift kit.

I understand that cranking the torsion keys are frowned upon but how bad is it really? Could I get enough out of it to clear the tires without effecting the 4wd ?

Rear Blocks? Yes or no?

Rear helper springs maybe?
SULLY313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #2
sanman
Senior Member
 
sanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-14-09
Location: nashville mi
Posts: 1,575
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Send manyjeeps a pm he has a lift for your truck it's on a truck right now but the truck has never been on the road and he is parting the truck out.
sanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Klumpper
Fuck Cancer!
 
Join Date: 08-26-09
Location: Howell
Posts: 430
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

You shouldn't need a body lift to put 33"s on that pickup. My brother's 97 tahoe didn't have any issues (except front mudflaps) with 33"s on it.

Take the body lift out, stay away from blocks by all means necessary. Helper springs or add-a-leaf in the back and if you need to, give the torsion bars a little bit of a turn.

This tahoe has helpers in the back, because EVERY gmt400 suv I have dealt with (and half tons for that matter) sags. I picked up the 3 leaf helpers from JC whitney (2500#?) and put them on. Torsion bars are set at factory height.
Klumpper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #4
SULLY313
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-10-10
Location: Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 124
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman View Post
Send manyjeeps a pm he has a lift for your truck it's on a truck right now but the truck has never been on the road and he is parting the truck out.
"Toomanyjeeps"? Thats all that came up when i searched.
SULLY313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
SULLY313
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-10-10
Location: Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 124
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klumpper View Post
You shouldn't need a body lift to put 33"s on that pickup. My brother's 97 tahoe didn't have any issues (except front mudflaps) with 33"s on it.

Take the body lift out, stay away from blocks by all means necessary. Helper springs or add-a-leaf in the back and if you need to, give the torsion bars a little bit of a turn.

This tahoe has helpers in the back, because EVERY gmt400 suv I have dealt with (and half tons for that matter) sags. I picked up the 3 leaf helpers from JC whitney (2500#?) and put them on. Torsion bars are set at factory height.
Thanks.... this sounds like the best/cheapest route.
SULLY313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Puddy Nugets
Road Rage is FUN!
 
Puddy Nugets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have airbags in the back of my K1500 and with the torsion bars jacked up I could easily clear 33's. This lift will cost you less than $200 and it looks better then a body lift!
The only problem is the ride is ROUGH! You will have no give in your suspension if you turn the torsion key to far and it is not a fun ride if you go offroad.
Puddy Nugets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #7
sanman
Senior Member
 
sanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-14-09
Location: nashville mi
Posts: 1,575
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY313 View Post
"Toomanyjeeps"? Thats all that came up when i searched.
sorry it's manyjeep
sanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #8
osteologation
Everyday I'm Shufflin'
 
osteologation's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-31-08
Location: Caro, MI
Posts: 1,709
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i know a buddy used ford f150? torsion keys in his 99 to level his lift out. idk if that would work on yours.
osteologation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #9
SULLY313
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-10-10
Location: Lincoln Park, MI
Posts: 124
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy Nugets View Post
I have airbags in the back of my K1500 and with the torsion bars jacked up I could easily clear 33's. This lift will cost you less than $200 and it looks better then a body lift!
The only problem is the ride is ROUGH! You will have no give in your suspension if you turn the torsion key to far and it is not a fun ride if you go offroad.
thats what I hear. Do you think it would be cured with longer shocks? I could see the shock reaching full extension before it dampens rebound sufficiently on big bumps.
SULLY313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Puddy Nugets
Road Rage is FUN!
 
Puddy Nugets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

That might work. I just lowered mine a little to stop the rough ride. I did get a really squeeky ride for a week or two after lowering it. I figured the squeek came from the shocks being extended for a few years and fixed it with some WD40 and a trip through my favorite mud hole.

I think the rough ride comes from the tension on your torsion bar and not the shock extension. I am sure there is someone on here that knows more about it then I do.
Puddy Nugets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Chevy Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.19753 seconds with 50 queries