What do you do - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #81
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,126
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

your welcome
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM   #82
370
Senior Member
 
370's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-10
Location: kouts, in
Posts: 319
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
If you're wife and you (the two people the event means the most too) wanted to celebrate your aniversary on a different date then I don't see why not. Once agian, It's not about celebrating that specific date but what that event means. Do you feel the same way about a Birthday if it's celebrated a week later because the family couldn't get together the week prior?

Here's a little Fact that you probably don't know about alot of Christians. Some don't choose to celebrate Christmas like you think they do. No presents, nothing. They just get together and have good Fellowship. My Family is slowly getting there because we realize that "Christmas" is not longer about Christ but about the Commercial value it brings to the stores.



Thanks, I think you're find, as well, that your assumption about Christians in this matter is not true. Sure, there are plenty out there that reject Science and all that it has to offer. MOST, however, except Science just as much as you do. There are even some who , Gasp!, Believe in Macro-Evolution. Science is not the Enemy of most Christians. It's defiantly not for me, or any of my other Christian Friends. Which, I may add, are Primarily MSU students who are well educated and even a Handful of those are Biology majors. Better known as "Evolution Majors" Because that's about all they teach (Which makes sense from an Education viewpoint).

Me, and many other Christians, Viewpoint is that Science was Originally desinged to glorify God. There is a Verse that talks about God's Unseen nature being in his Creation. His Characteristics are made evident in his Creation. So, To learn more about God someone should study the Physical Characteristics of this world. Sounds like a Scientist to me. The Earliest Scientists were "Air Spirit Worshipers" (As you put it). When in all actuality, the Spirit of the Air is Satan. So no, We're not. We're worshipers of the almighty God.

There are also many Theologians that think that the Writers of the Genesis story were the First Scientists that Wrote down what they thought happened from the Observations they made and what they heard from other people.



I think You'll find that most "God Salesmen" are very willing to talk to anybody and let anybody into thier church. Free of Charge. . My dad Loves to talk to people about these kinds of Subjects and would be thrilled if someone came and talked to him. Most Pastors share this Mentality. In Romans 12 it talks about Renewing our minds, That means not just listening to the Pastor and following blindly what he says. In essence, I'm tell you that your assumption on to how The Church feels about Science is Simply wrong; But I'm not surprised that you have it. It's easy to believe Sterotypes.

On the note of Carbon Dating, It has to go by the fact that our Elements have always Reacted the same way they do now. That the universe (for which we have a Minuscule Perspective on) is exactly as we see it and has never been different. Who's Delusional now?
so your saying that an element with radioactive properties half life changes due to environmental changes? you need to open a 5th grade science book.. oh and god salesmen are exactly that.. the admission to church is free.... then they start talking about tythe.. and offering. that fuckin building doesn't pay for itself dude.. as far as whos delusional... your the one swawkign abouit how great your invisible god is.. and beleieve in imaculate conception... that all animals loaded up and ark and sailed for 40 days.. and lets see.. i believe in the scientific method that has provne so many thing in our world... mine you can see, read, touch etc.. yours is vast nothingness... it's all in your head... you know what.. yeha i'm the delusional one...
370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM   #83
370
Senior Member
 
370's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-10
Location: kouts, in
Posts: 319
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
When you talk about half life, and dinosaurs being millions of years old would'nt the amount of carbon(half life) have run out of the bones from dinosuars to make them with no measurable amount of carbon to date? School me on how much "half life"(carbon)is in something like dinosaurs bones and how long it would take for the carbon to be gone.
Why is it that when measuring in terms of carbon dating the rocks in the area are measured and not the bones themselves?
youir obvisouly missing the boat here dude.. you don't carbon date ROCKS!! youi corbon date the remains of the living being.. and carbon dating works back to 5600 years.. because carbon 14 has a half life of 5600 years.. BUT.. all living things retain a certain amount of raidoactive material in them... so other elements are used with thier half life as the basis for the dating.. it's called arbon dating becuase carbon is the most common.. becuase most things you find to carbon date that involved human liafe would roll into the 5600 year half life of carbon...
370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:11 PM   #84
370
Senior Member
 
370's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-10
Location: kouts, in
Posts: 319
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Why does it make more sense to "believe" that things were different than to assume that things are the same?
because it makes his ridiculous argument hold some sort of water... the thought that radioactive materials half life changes due to climatic change is ridiculous.. BUT christians in general will do whatever they can to prove carbon dating doesnt; work.. UNLESS it supports thier argument.. if there was a dinosuar bone that dated to 4000 years ago and that in turn changed the way carbon dating works.. every fuckign christian would be jumping on that bandwagon... the problem with christain views and those arguing them is that to see thier point you have to believe thier beliefs... and when you say "uhh that makes no sense" they say "read the bible".. everything a christian argues eventually comes back to "the bible says so" thier vauge books of short stories that everyone is supposed to beleieve was written through man by god himself.. it's all stupid really.. power in numbers... thats their saving grace
370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:09 PM   #85
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 View Post
so your saying that an element with radioactive properties half life changes due to environmental changes? you need to open a 5th grade science book..
No, I was saying that our world changes. That woudl inidcate that the universe changes. There is absoultly no PROOF that you can give me to show that the Universe has Ran the EXACT way we think it does for billions of years. Unless of course you're Privy to some alien race from the other side of the Universe that told you about how our Assumptions are exactly what they think.

Quote:
oh and god salesmen are exactly that.. the admission to church is free.... then they start talking about tythe.. and offering. that fuckin building doesn't pay for itself dude.. as far as whos delusional...
Oh really? thanks for the Educational Lesson..... I'm a Pk, Dude. I've been to the budget meetings for many different churches. The CHurch doesn't pay for itself but the money they collect is volunteer. You don't HAVE to give money. Our bible actually teaches to only give if you WANT to. If the church was in it for the money they wouldn't give it away like they do. The Majority of churches in America are struggling to stay open.


Quote:
your the one swawkign abouit how great your invisible god is.. and beleieve in imaculate conception... that all animals loaded up and ark and sailed for 40 days.. and lets see.. i believe in the scientific method that has provne so many thing in our world... mine you can see, read, touch etc.. yours is vast nothingness... it's all in your head... you know what.. yeha i'm the delusional one...
I believe in Scientific Method just as much as you do. For the 2nd or 3rd time this Conversation. Just because I'm Christian Doesn't mean I can't accept science. I do. My Friends do. The next generation of Christians (the ones in college) are pretty accepting of Science.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 View Post
because it makes his ridiculous argument hold some sort of water... the thought that radioactive materials half life changes due to climatic change is ridiculous.. BUT christians in general will do whatever they can to prove carbon dating doesnt; work.. UNLESS it supports thier argument.. if there was a dinosuar bone that dated to 4000 years ago and that in turn changed the way carbon dating works.. every fuckign christian would be jumping on that bandwagon... the problem with christain views and those arguing them is that to see thier point you have to believe thier beliefs... and when you say "uhh that makes no sense" they say "read the bible".. everything a christian argues eventually comes back to "the bible says so" thier vauge books of short stories that everyone is supposed to beleieve was written through man by god himself.. it's all stupid really.. power in numbers... thats their saving grace
SteroTypes. They are easy to talk about. Harder to Talk about if you actually want to listen. Which you aren't. If you think you really know Christians. You don't. We are just like you. Most of us believe in science, just like you. Most of us pay our taxes, just like you. Most of us Care about our Fellow man, Just like most non-believers. If you see us as the Enemy then there is no point to even talk about it anymore. You're not willing to listen. Just spout your opinion. That's what Fools do.

Christ is Our Saving Grace. The reason we go back to the bible is because, TO US, it's the Holy inspired word of God. I, personally, stay away from using it unless we're talking Specifically about Christian theology. If that's the case then it only makes sense to use the book that our faith is based off. But, According to you, Nothing I can say makes sense Because I'm a Christian.

Here's the deal though. You believe/Accept/Follow what ever you do primarily because of the Experiences in your life. Logically, to you, it makes more sense to not believe in God. Only he can change your heart about that. BUT, Not believing in God would be just as Foolish for me because of my personal Experiences and how God Makes himself evident in my life, EVERYDAY.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #86
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I don't hate wikipedia I tend to see there interpitations lean toward evolution and I don't buy evolution.
So how long does it take for something to fossilize?
What about the dinosuars bones found in Alaska that had marrow and tissue inside the bones? How could any carbone be found let alone marrow and soft tissue if dinosaurs died off millions of years ago?
You don't know how atomic decay works and you are misunderstanding what a half life is. Go find yerself sum ejumacation and report back when you understand what you are talking about.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:54 PM   #87
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Why does God have a penis? He is the father and everybody refers to God as "Him".

Also, if people are God's main concern, why did he create such a vast universe and put everything so bloody far away? Is he neglecting his cute little planets and moons HE created? Are faraway planets a place for God to stash all his stuff?

Why did God command "Thou shall not kill" then tell his followers to kill everybody that doesn't worship him? Me confused.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #88
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,509
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
1) Why does God have a penis? He is the father and everybody refers to God as "Him".

2) Also, if people are God's main concern, why did he create such a vast universe and put everything so bloody far away? Is he neglecting his cute little planets and moons HE created? Are faraway planets a place for God to stash all his stuff?

3) Why did God command "Thou shall not kill" then tell his followers to kill everybody that doesn't worship him? Me confused.
1) The same reason we often refer to George Washington as "the father of the country". We don't mean that he literary used his penis to have intercourse with something to make this country.

2) I know of nothing in the Bible that would eliminate the possibility that God created other life forms on other planets. Maybe he created lots of them and placed them far apart because he didn't want them mixing.

3) Please quote specific reference for discussion.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #89
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post

3) Please quote specific reference for discussion.
Your wish is my suggestion!

Leviticus 24:14-16

Deuteronomy 2:34, 3:6-7, 13:5-6, 13:8-9, 13:15

Ezekiel 9:5-6

I could cite many more examples put I think I've satified your request.

Last edited by Nuggets; May 4th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #90
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
Why does God have a penis? He is the father and everybody refers to God as "Him".
I don't think he has a penis. Of course, We're made in his Likeness....so...Maybe. The Reason he is referred to as HE is mostly because it's just easier to put he instead of it....or maybe I should say it sounds better. There are many characteristics of the God that are Feminine.

Quote:
Also, if people are God's main concern, why did he create such a vast universe and put everything so bloody far away? Is he neglecting his cute little planets and moons HE created? Are faraway planets a place for God to stash all his stuff?
So that you could ask that question and maybe Seek him more. Everything in this Universe is there to Glorify God. He created this vast Universe so that we could study it and see it's beauty and be amazed at his creation. Could also have something to do with being Humble. I mean, If God created the Universe, How big to you suppose he is? Yet, According to his word, he loves every single one of us. No matter what.

Quote:
Why did God command "Thou shall not kill" then tell his followers to kill everybody that doesn't worship him? Me confused.
Are you talking about all the wars in the OT? That's because back then you fought or you died. The Hebrew people had the Hope, Faith, and Security of a Almighty creator on thier side.


On the note of the Science thing. I'll ask the same question many of you guys have asked me but backwards. If an Alien Race came to this planet and proved that our carbon Dating, our understanding of our planet, and our whole scientific world was wrong, Would you except it? And before you say it, I know how it SHOULD be. I want to know if It would actually happen though.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #91
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,126
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
You don't know how atomic decay works and you are misunderstanding what a half life is. Go find yerself sum ejumacation and report back when you understand what you are talking about.
I do understand about half life and how it works, but you did not answer my question about bones(dinosaurs) found in Alaska with soft tissue inside. If dinosuars lived millions of years ago then how is it that they would have any carbon to date let alone soft tissue to see and touch?
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #92
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post

On the note of the Science thing. I'll ask the same question many of you guys have asked me but backwards. If an Alien Race came to this planet and proved that our carbon Dating, our understanding of our planet, and our whole scientific world was wrong, Would you except it? And before you say it, I know how it SHOULD be. I want to know if It would actually happen though.
If super intelligent flying chipmunks came to the planet using a time traveling dinner roll could prove to me (beyond any doubt) that our understanding of science and our physical world are wrong, then by all means I would accept that. This is because I believe in the scientific method. This type of thinking allows a person to change their views based on evidence or facts presented to them.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #93
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
If super intelligent flying chipmunks came to the planet using a time traveling dinner roll could prove to me (beyond any doubt) that our understanding of science and our physical world are wrong, then by all means I would accept that. This is because I believe in the scientific method. This type of thinking allows a person to change their views based on evidence or facts presented to them.
I question that. Seriously. Maybe not you Specifically, but I don't think our Scientific community wouldn't change in an instance. They SAY they would, but I am skeptical. There are alot of parts of that Instution that have way to much stock in what they think is true. Plus, haven't you seen any Sci-Fi movies? You know the Chipmunks are just going to try and enslave us and eat us....

That or Torture us by singing pop songs with thier high pitched voices....Wait a minute.....
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #94
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I do understand about half life and how it works, but you did not answer my question about bones(dinosaurs) found in Alaska with soft tissue inside. If dinosuars lived millions of years ago then how is it that they would have any carbon to date let alone soft tissue to see and touch?
Carbon dating is good to about 60k years. There is still C14 and C13 left after this but our testing methods are not accurate beyond a certain point. Could you cite an example of carbon dating being used on dinosaurs?

Also, carbon dating can not be used on rocks (per your earlier post). Carbon dating is used on carbonaceous compounds (like bones, wood, leaves, etc.).

Are you really sure what an isotope is? I think you are not fully understanding what we are discussing here. If you read up on atomic theory, radioactive decay, transmutation, radioactive isotopes, types of radio activity, etc., you will have a better understanding of how these scientists are approaching the task of finding out how old something is.

Per your question about the actual tissure of a dinosaur(s) found in Alaska. I am not familiar with that finding so I would like you to point me to the article so I can study up. My guess would be that somehow that animal became frozen shortly after death and remained frozen in the perma-frost until found.

Speaking of dinosaurs, explain to me why the richest source of fossels is in Anartica? I know why, I just want to see of you are familier with that finding since you seem to be quite the dinosaur connoiseur.

Last edited by Nuggets; May 4th, 2010 at 08:16 AM.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #95
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I question that. Seriously. Maybe not you Specifically, but I don't think our Scientific community wouldn't change in an instance. They SAY they would, but I am skeptical. There are alot of parts of that Instution that have way to much stock in what they think is true. Plus, haven't you seen any Sci-Fi movies? You know the Chipmunks are just going to try and enslave us and eat us....

That or Torture us by singing pop songs with thier high pitched voices....Wait a minute.....
I agree that the change would not be instantaneous. The scientific community would have to go through the process of verifying the data presented to them via chipmunk.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37720 seconds with 65 queries