What is the obsession with... - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #1
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default What is the obsession with...

...energy drink paraphernalia? I see people with shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc. covered with MONSTER or ROCKSTAR. I constantly see those montser stickers on motorcycles, cars, and trucks. Apparently people are even paying for this stuff, I got an email from Rocky Mountain ATV saying they are having a sale on all their rockstar and monster apparel.

The stuff is disgusting and is horrible for you. Drink a cup of coffee. Then go and buy a starbucks hat.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #2
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
...energy drink paraphernalia? I see people with shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc. covered with MONSTER or ROCKSTAR. I constantly see those montser stickers on motorcycles, cars, and trucks. Apparently people are even paying for this stuff, I got an email from Rocky Mountain ATV saying they are having a sale on all their rockstar and monster apparel.

The stuff is disgusting and is horrible for you. Drink a cup of coffee. Then go and buy a starbucks hat.
I think it's because Monster and rockstar sponsor alot of motorsports.
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #3
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I wondered the same thing. I see the monster stickers all over the place.
greygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Tranny Tom
Switcheroo
 
Tranny Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Southfield
Posts: 3,810
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
...energy drink paraphernalia? I see people with shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc. covered with MONSTER or ROCKSTAR. I constantly see those montser stickers on motorcycles, cars, and trucks. Apparently people are even paying for this stuff, I got an email from Rocky Mountain ATV saying they are having a sale on all their rockstar and monster apparel.

The stuff is disgusting and is horrible for you. Drink a cup of coffee. Then go and buy a starbucks hat.
I agree, I hate people that put Monster stickers on their arctic cats... I try to knock them off their sleds if I see them on the trail. I really don't do that.

Monster stickers on a snowmobile = look at me I'm a giant douche.
Tranny Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #5
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

unless its served with jager, energy drinks are canned puke.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #6
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,793
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Plus, why would you want to support a company that would do this:

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/beer/2009...er-vs-monster/
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #7
deathdealer
Senior Member
 
deathdealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 1,637
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I think Kawasaki made special Monster edition Ninjas last year...pretty nice actually.

So not in all cases are people just putting the stickers on their rides, some are just coming that way now.
deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #8
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdealer View Post
I think Kawasaki made special Monster edition Ninjas last year...pretty nice actually.

So not in all cases are people just putting the stickers on their rides, some are just coming that way now.
I saw a monster Kawasaki klr 250 the other day when I was looking at bikes.
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Tab
Senior Member
 
Tab's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Freeland, mi
Posts: 4,841
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Marketing genius if you ask me. Get a bunch of young kids who want to be cool and will blow money to "keep up" with what they think is cool because they see it on all the "extreme" sport machines. Kinda like all the fat kids with the Tap Out stickers on their shitty cars.
Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,438
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I'm wearing a condom that says Monster on it.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #11
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
I'm wearing a condom that says Monster on it.
Is it making it hard to breathe?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #12
mean_greenEXJAY
YJ now
 
mean_greenEXJAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Vicksburg, MI
Posts: 1,382
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Anyone that wheres a monster hat with a staight bill I want to kick in the junk, actually that goes for anyone that wheres their had like that.
mean_greenEXJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #13
Matt-BDS
BDS Suspension Co.
 
Matt-BDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-12-07
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 447
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

These companies have some amazing marketing campaigns. What company wouldn't want their name plastered all over the country on everything from t-shirts to motorcycles? They have basically created their own culture...not a small feat now days. Genius marketing is what it comes down to. Plus, they continue to hit their focus groups with their association with just about every extreme sport you can think of. Proves how important a fancy logo and excellent marketing is to making sales. They are almost to the point of not really selling the individual product but the company and the image that goes with it. Truely impressive IMO.

I'm not saying I understand why everyone wants to be on the Monster/Rockstar/Red Bull bandwagons but congrats to those companies on the ability to make their stuff so "cool" and desirable. And I also agree on the taste...not for me. But I guess it is just like people getting hooked on Mountian Dew or coffee.

Edit: Beat me to it Tab...I gotta stop taking 20 minutes to write a reply.
__________________
www.bds-suspension.com
NO FINE PRINT WARRANTY
"If you are the original purchaser of any BDS product and it breaks, we will give you a new part. Period."
Matt-BDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #14
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,989
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I don't get it either.

I'd have to agree it's probably because of all the motorsport affiliations.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #15
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I don't get it either.

I'd have to agree it's probably because of all the motorsport affiliations.
I bet if they made a monster edition neon you would suck a fat dick to own one.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #16
JohnL
Go until it breaks.
 
JohnL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-09
Location: Greenwood , Indiana
Posts: 2,101
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to JohnL
Default

I have a big monster sticker on the back of my blazer because I used to race dirt bikes and they sent me a bunch of shit for free.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #17
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,989
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I bet if they made a monster edition neon you would suck a fat dick to own one.
Only if it had nawwwssss.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #18
Sol Goode
Obama Nation!
 
Sol Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Curt1656 & Scooters love castle
Posts: 14,414
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
unless its served with jager, energy drinks are canned puke.
Lies

Its also good with Vodka
Sol Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #19
mean_greenEXJAY
YJ now
 
mean_greenEXJAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Vicksburg, MI
Posts: 1,382
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE View Post
These companies have some amazing marketing campaigns. What company wouldn't want their name plastered all over the country on everything from t-shirts to motorcycles? They have basically created their own culture...not a small feat now days. Genius marketing is what it comes down to. Plus, they continue to hit their focus groups with their association with just about every extreme sport you can think of. Proves how important a fancy logo and excellent marketing is to making sales. They are almost to the point of not really selling the individual product but the company and the image that goes with it. Truely impressive IMO.

I'm not saying I understand why everyone wants to be on the Monster/Rockstar/Red Bull bandwagons but congrats to those companies on the ability to make their stuff so "cool" and desirable. And I also agree on the taste...not for me. But I guess it is just like people getting hooked on Mountian Dew or coffee.

Edit: Beat me to it Tab...I gotta stop taking 20 minutes to write a reply.

Just think your guys name could be plastered on everything it you still had the stickers that said "big dicks suspension"
mean_greenEXJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #20
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
Lies

Its also good with Vodka
everything is improved once you add vodka, so your argument is invalid.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.25472 seconds with 81 queries