Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
View Poll Results: Are you a Theist or Non-Theist?
Theist 48 46.60%
Non-theist 55 53.40%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #161
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,079
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
You need to crack open a dictionary and find the difference between a theory and a hypothesis.

Your proposal is not a widely accepted "theory". True, some scientist feel that this may have happened, but that is the nature of the scientific way.

Edit: For the record, I think the idea of aliens spinkling "smarts" to the dwellers of earth is alittle far fetched. That doesn't mean I wouldn't reconsider my opinion if more evidence came to light.
Evidence could slap you right in the face and you would say it isn't so.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #162
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,079
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine 00 xj View Post
Are you seriously criticizing someone else's logic after your statement: "Yes, morality is subjective. For example, I am more moral than your God"? I don't know too many people that can totally contradict themselves in thirteen words.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #163
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,383
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine 00 xj View Post
Are you seriously criticizing someone else's logic after your statement: "Yes, morality is subjective. For example, I am more moral than your God"? I don't know too many people that can totally contradict themselves in thirteen words.
But morals are subjective, and personal. So when he says he believes himself to be more moral than your God he has given his personal opinion based on his morality, not a statement of logic.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #164
Mikey1258
HAND-ME-DOWN Racing
 
Mikey1258's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-07
Location: Muskegon Mi. http://www.mymudlife.com/profile/MIkeyWells
Posts: 1,093
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey1258
Default

All I have to say is this:

HELP! MikeSova come to JESUS! - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest
Mikey1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #165
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,759
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
But morals are subjective, and personal. So when he says he believes himself to be more moral than your God he has given his personal opinion based on his morality, not a statement of logic.
thank you, Bruce.
mikesova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #166
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,079
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

All we can do is pray, plant the seeds and let God do the work. His word does not return void.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #167
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
"Well I'll give you one off the top of my head, the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession you sir are hell bound."



Like I said, read what the guy is writing.
So far you have done nothing but say I'm wrong. As it stand I could have said grass is green and you just keep saying no you're wrong. How about instead of just throwing a fit about my inaccuracies, you actually throw your asshat in the ring and explain in detail to me and the rest of this fine group of readers why I am wrong and what I am wrong about. I'll be the first to admit I'm in the wrong if I am shown to be, and it has been about 15 years or so since I have studied the Catholic ways so please indulge me.
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #168
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
So far you have done nothing but say I'm wrong. As it stand I could have said grass is green and you just keep saying no you're wrong. How about instead of just throwing a fit about my inaccuracies, you actually throw your asshat in the ring and explain in detail to me and the rest of this fine group of readers why I am wrong and what I am wrong about. I'll be the first to admit I'm in the wrong if I am shown to be, and it has been about 15 years or so since I have studied the Catholic ways so please indulge me.
Toes may have been being a Bit..er....Funny. But I actually have done just what you've asked. I've given you reasons as to why you are wrong.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #169
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Toes may have been being a Bit..er....Funny. But I actually have done just what you've asked. I've given you reasons as to why you are wrong.
Now you are incorrect. You have not given me any reason why my statement about the Catholics ways of baptism, communion... were incorrect you were just latched on to the fact that I did not make a clear distinction that Catholics are Christians. And on that note I was giving an example of a religion other than yours that believes you are going to burn in hell, "The Catholics" and I did not say that they are not Christians.

Quote:
Nope, not at all. I was meerly asking you tell to me about a Religion were Living a Christian LIfe would ultimately bring me to the "hell" of that religion. I'm drawing a blank. Please do Enlighten me.
This was your statement and my response:
Quote:
Well I'll give you one off the top of my head, the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession you sir are hell bound. So you'd better run down to the nearest little boy petting zoo and tell the man in the box all the naughty stuff you've been up to. (That includes spending too much time wiping your anus.)
At no point did I say Catholics are not christian. I gave an example where "Living a Christian Life" would ultimately bring you to HELL.

Now where was my mistake?
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #170
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Now you are incorrect. You have not given me any reason why my statement about the Catholics ways of baptism, communion... were incorrect you were just latched on to the fact that I did not make a clear distinction that Catholics are Christians. And on that note I was giving an example of a religion other than yours that believes you are going to burn in hell, "The Catholics" and I did not say that they are not Christians.



This was your statement and my response:


At no point did I say Catholics are not christian. I gave an example where "Living a Christian Life" would ultimately bring you to HELL.

Now where was my mistake?

Because "the Catholic Religion" is "the Christian Religion". I don't get why you don't get that. The Catholic Church is Derived from Paul. Jesus put his hands on his Shoulders and said I shall build my church on you, Paul. That church being a church that was built from Teachings of Christ. IE, a Christian Church. There is no such things as the Catholic Religion. It's Christianity's main DENOMINATION. By what you have said, Every Catholic would burn in hell because, By Definition, they are living Christian Lives.

Just because I might not partake (I actually do) in the Sacraments doesn't mean I'm burning. Catholicism is just a more strict form of Christianity; Based in rules and Dogma's. Those rules and Dogma's being from humans, Not God.

Catholics believe that Christians are not going to hell. I stand by what I said that you either 1) just don't get it 2) have been taught/learned something wrong about the catholic church.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #171
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Because "the Catholic Religion" is "the Christian Religion". I don't get why you don't get that. The Catholic Church is Derived from Paul. Jesus put his hands on his Shoulders and said I shall build my church on you, Paul. That church being a church that was built from Teachings of Christ. IE, a Christian Church. There is no such things as the Catholic Religion. It's Christianity's main DENOMINATION. By what you have said, Every Catholic would burn in hell because, By Definition, they are living Christian Lives.

Just because I might not partake (I actually do) in the Sacraments doesn't mean I'm burning. Catholicism is just a more strict form of Christianity; Based in rules and Dogma's. Those rules and Dogma's being from humans, Not God.

Catholics believe that Christians are not going to hell. I stand by what I said that you either 1) just don't get it 2) have been taught/learned something wrong about the catholic church.
read this .
http://www.olrl.org/apologetics/
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #172
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder xj View Post
I glanced over it. There is a Reason Martin Luther did what he did. Because the Catholic Church had done the exact same thing the Jewish Leaders of Jesus's Time did.

I believe in the Bible, I believe what I read in it. I don't follow Catholic dogma, nor do I follow Protestant Dogma. I am A Christ Follower.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #173
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,505
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I glanced over it. There is a Reason Martin Luther did what he did. Because the Catholic Church had done the exact same thing the Jewish Leaders of Jesus's Time did.

I believe in the Bible, I believe what I read in it. I don't follow Catholic dogma, nor do I follow Protestant Dogma. I am A Christ Follower.
Amen!!
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #174
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I glanced over it. There is a Reason Martin Luther did what he did. Because the Catholic Church had done the exact same thing the Jewish Leaders of Jesus's Time did.

I believe in the Bible, I believe what I read in it. I don't follow Catholic dogma, nor do I follow Protestant Dogma. I am A Christ Follower.
Well They say Your going to hell.


Catholics hold that Protestants who have these dispositions, and who have no suspicion of their religion being false, and no means to discover, or fail in their honest endeavors to discover, the true Religion, and who are so disposed in their heart that they would at any cost embrace the Roman Catholic Religion if they knew it to be the true one, are Catholics in spirit and in some sense within the Catholic Church, without themselves knowing it. She holds that these Christians belong to, and are united to the "soul," as it is called, of the Catholic Church, although they are not united to the visible body of the Church by external communion with her, and by the outward profession of her faith

Very different is the case of a person who, having the opportunity, neglects to learn from genuine trustworthy sources what the Catholic Religion is and really teaches

Last edited by disorder xj; March 16th, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #175
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
So far you have done nothing but say I'm wrong. As it stand I could have said grass is green and you just keep saying no you're wrong. How about instead of just throwing a fit about my inaccuracies, you actually throw your asshat in the ring and explain in detail to me and the rest of this fine group of readers why I am wrong and what I am wrong about. I'll be the first to admit I'm in the wrong if I am shown to be, and it has been about 15 years or so since I have studied the Catholic ways so please indulge me.
Originally Posted by L4CX
Nope, not at all. I was meerly asking you tell to me about a Religion were Living a Christian LIfe would ultimately bring me to the "hell" of that religion. I'm drawing a blank. Please do Enlighten me.

Well I'll give you one off the top of my head, the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession you sir are hell bound. So you'd better run down to the nearest little boy petting zoo and tell the man in the box all the naughty stuff you've been up to. (That includes spending too much time wiping your anus.)

Thats your answer to L4CX.

You clearly said that in the Catholic religion if you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession, you where hell bound.

You are wrong , and the Catholic church doesn't and never taught that.

You never qualified an age, and as I said before you are not permitted to take communion in the Catholic Church untill you reach a certain age and accomplish certain education.

At no time prior to a that age are you ever taught you will go to hell, because you didn't take communion or go to confession.

Your statement is structured in such a manor that you indicate you MUST do all three. Thats not true simply by age and education alone.

What you said is wrong, incorrect, not true, never taught.
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #176
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Because "the Catholic Religion" is "the Christian Religion". I don't get why you don't get that. The Catholic Church is Derived from Paul. Jesus put his hands on his Shoulders and said I shall build my church on you, Paul. That church being a church that was built from Teachings of Christ. IE, a Christian Church. There is no such things as the Catholic Religion. It's Christianity's main DENOMINATION. By what you have said, Every Catholic would burn in hell because, By Definition, they are living Christian Lives.

Just because I might not partake (I actually do) in the Sacraments doesn't mean I'm burning. Catholicism is just a more strict form of Christianity; Based in rules and Dogma's. Those rules and Dogma's being from humans, Not God.

Catholics believe that Christians are not going to hell. I stand by what I said that you either 1) just don't get it 2) have been taught/learned something wrong about the catholic church.
Wow. I put it all in one easy to read post and still the same response. Once again; I DID NOT SAY CATHOLICS ARE NOT CHRISTIANS. THEY DO NOT BELIEVE ALL CHRISTIANS ARE GOING TO HEAVEN. THE CATHOLIC RELIGION IS A DENOMINATION OF CHRISTIANITY AND I DO UNDERSTAND THIS. I gave you exactly what you asked for and you are not reading what I'm writing. You are more worried about not looking wrong. You wanted an example of where in a belief system other than yours says you will go to hell by living a christian life and that's what I gave you. As for how my comments about the reason catholics believe this you have not given me reason as to why I am incorrect.
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #177
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,079
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder xj View Post
Well They say Your going to hell.


Catholics hold that Protestants who have these dispositions, and who have no suspicion of their religion being false, and no means to discover, or fail in their honest endeavors to discover, the true Religion, and who are so disposed in their heart that they would at any cost embrace the Roman Catholic Religion if they knew it to be the true one, are Catholics in spirit and in some sense within the Catholic Church, without themselves knowing it. She holds that these Christians belong to, and are united to the "soul," as it is called, of the Catholic Church, although they are not united to the visible body of the Church by external communion with her, and by the outward profession of her faith

Very different is the case of a person who, having the opportunity, neglects to learn from genuine trustworthy sources what the Catholic Religion is and really teaches
cut and paste?
Can you explain those words in your own language?
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #178
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
cut and paste?
Can you explain those words in your own language?
I don't have to you can read . I read it and understand what it means . Do you?
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #179
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder xj View Post
Well They say Your going to hell.


Catholics hold that Protestants who have these dispositions, and who have no suspicion of their religion being false, and no means to discover, or fail in their honest endeavors to discover, the true Religion, and who are so disposed in their heart that they would at any cost embrace the Roman Catholic Religion if they knew it to be the true one, are Catholics in spirit and in some sense within the Catholic Church, without themselves knowing it. She holds that these Christians belong to, and are united to the "soul," as it is called, of the Catholic Church, although they are not united to the visible body of the Church by external communion with her, and by the outward profession of her faith

Very different is the case of a person who, having the opportunity, neglects to learn from genuine trustworthy sources what the Catholic Religion is and really teaches
I know what they think. I don't agree with it. I don't think Christ would have either. If anything I'm a Protestant, That's what I grew up in. My Beliefs have changed since then and I am more "liberal" in what I believe. Believe it or not.

I did learn what the Roman Catholic Church believes and what they think is truth in that matter. Baptists believe you have to baptized, Pentecostals believe you have to dance around (Not really, But sort of), Lutherans believe......well, They are more traditional, and Methodists believe that God Loves everyone and wants to have an Intimate Relationship with them. That movement (Methodist) was started in Bars and Taverns. It Threw off exactly what it should have; Dogma's, Rules, traditions and Focused Solely on The Saving Grace Of God. I grew up Methodist so I tend to lean that way but now even that denomination is about traditions and Rules.

Christ Threw off the idea of Rules and regulations of the Jewish Faith. He did by Fulfilling their prophecy. His Focus was on His father and showing that Love to everyone. The Roman Catholic church was also, at one time and to an extent still is, doing what Jesus Called Paul to do. They are just so encumbered by Rules and Doctrines that they are hindered by them to actually do the work Of Christ efficiently.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #180
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Originally Posted by L4CX
Nope, not at all. I was meerly asking you tell to me about a Religion were Living a Christian LIfe would ultimately bring me to the "hell" of that religion. I'm drawing a blank. Please do Enlighten me.

Well I'll give you one off the top of my head, the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession you sir are hell bound. So you'd better run down to the nearest little boy petting zoo and tell the man in the box all the naughty stuff you've been up to. (That includes spending too much time wiping your anus.)

Thats your answer to L4CX.

You clearly said that in the Catholic religion if you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession, you where hell bound.

You are wrong , and the Catholic church doesn't and never taught that.

You never qualified an age, and as I said before you are not permitted to take communion in the Catholic Church untill you reach a certain age and accomplish certain education.

At no time prior to a that age are you ever taught you will go to hell, because you didn't take communion or go to confession.

Your statement is structured in such a manor that you indicate you MUST do all three. Thats not true simply by age and education alone.

What you said is wrong, incorrect, not true, never taught.
My apologies, I was under the assumption that L4CX was old enough to receive his first communion. I never gave a broad generalization. He asked specifically about himself and that is what I was responding to. My answer was directed to him only not every person on earth. And besides the age part you talk about people don't get a go to heaven free card from the catholics for having not been taught properly. Having myself been through all of the things I mentioned you are not telling me anything I did not already know. So no i was not incorrect simply because I did not broaden my answer and include every catholic loop hole.

Last edited by 93xjr; March 16th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.33637 seconds with 52 queries