Theist or Non-Theist - Page 6 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
View Poll Results: Are you a Theist or Non-Theist?
Theist 48 46.60%
Non-theist 55 53.40%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #101
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Please, do, Tell me what religion I'm considered to be going to hell in. Muslim doesn't count. I believe in Allah. I just don't believe in the prophet.



Wrong. Faith is not a bad thing and those with faith can have logic and reason. Do you have faith in your wife to not Cheat on you? IMO, it takes more to use logic and reason but still be able to have a faith in something more that cannot be seen. Anybody can trust in something they can see. Also, I've never seen Contrary Evidence that I didn't except. Maybe I'm the Exception; Just to let you know though, I'm not much different then most Christians my age.
Are you trying to say that yours is the only religion that has everyone that doesn't follow it going to hell?
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #102
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,083
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Are you trying to say that yours is the only religion that has everyone that doesn't follow it going to hell?
Wow you catch on quick
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #103
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,416
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Wow you catch on quick
My religion says yours is wrong. Since there is no Hell in my religion, you will be banished to Detroit for all eternity.
Nuggets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #104
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
The lie that i am talking about is a lie from the devil. He gets into your head and tells not just you, but people in general that God is not real, or you don't need God, you can do things on your own without the need of God I've overcome MAJOR distress and trouble in my life and have achieved a pretty high level of success, and all the while believing that man created god in his own image. I guess that satan dude must have b een right.. He also puts fear in your mind. He puts doubt in your mind.
False religions are another way to distract people from God.

I once thought on the same lines as all of you guys on here... well maybe not all but you get the idea. No, you never did, because you always believed there is a real god. Always.
Then things began to change for me. I was no longer in control, as much as I always thought I was. My life as I knew it was crumbling down around me. A failed marriage, a death of a very close sister, no job, no work.
At that time one tends to look at your life and wonder can things get much worse? Yes, they can.
Everything I thought I was doing was the right thing, but failing at it. Then maybe they weren't the right things....? Just saying.
To make a long story short Jesus found me in my troubles and brought me out of it all and I found Him and a new way in life that is better and not about me and what I want. About putting others before me. Not being rushed at everything I do. That's called "growing up".
Things are at times easier but being a Christian does not mean that all your troubles will go away, they do get worse but in a different way. You see now I have the Lord to fight my battles and life seems to be better when I have Him on my side. He will never leave me nor forsake me, He will always be by my side Sounds like you have some abandondment issues. I personally have no fear of anyone forsaking or leaving me. I am not codependent. I can function on my own..
And to think of a friend that created the universe on your side to help you through all of what life throws at you is very comforting.
To know that I can leave my troubles at His feet and not worry or be afraid and know that everything is going to be alright. Seems kind of lazy to me.
I am not afraid as the last post stated that Christians are fearful. I have no fear of death and I don't worry about stuff. I have no control over the big picture of life anyways. When it is your time to die it will happen. Your fear is of being left alone to deal with life's problems, which you've already indicated you didn't really succeed at.

So it may not be a lie that YOU were told, but in general, people are not accepting the truth and believeing what ever non-believers tell them as truth that they themseves know nothing about. If people are unsure of what Christianity is about ask a pastor or attend a church and find out for yourself don't believe the stereo type that the media talk about because there is no truth in what they are claiming Christians are.
Just my 2cents
You say that if we want to know the truth we should pray to god/jesus and he will enlighten us. In order for us to pray to god/jesus we have to believe in their existence in the first place. That's the comedy of your advice. You believed all along. I don't, therefore I cannot pray to your god/jesus because there isn't one to pray TO.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #105
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,782
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
You say that if we want to know the truth we should pray to god/jesus and he will enlighten us. In order for us to pray to god/jesus we have to believe in their existence in the first place. That's the comedy of your advice. You believed all along. I don't, therefore I cannot pray to your god/jesus because there isn't one to pray TO.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #106
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Theists have faith;
Non-Theists do not.
I am a non-theist with TONS of faith. In myself.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #107
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,467
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
I am a non-theist with TONS of faith. In myself.


You know what I meant.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #108
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post


You know what I meant.
No, I know what you SAID. Say what you mean.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #109
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
OH MY GOD. It all makes so much sense to me now. Why didn't someone just show me this in the first place. I was so silly to doubt. I think there should be a buddy christ in the center of the wheel though.

93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #110
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
My religion says yours is wrong. Since there is no Hell in my religion, you will be banished to Detroit for all eternity.
Now there's an idea for the jesus army. Just tell everyone they will spend eternity in Detroit and you'll fill heaven to the brim. Just be careful who you tell about the streets of gold, that crap will come up missin in no time.
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #111
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Are you trying to say that yours is the only religion that has everyone that doesn't follow it going to hell?
Nope, not at all. I was meerly asking you tell to me about a Religion were Living a Christian LIfe would ultimately bring me to the "hell" of that religion. I'm drawing a blank. Please do Enlighten me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
My religion says yours is wrong. Since there is no Hell in my religion, you will be banished to Detroit for all eternity.
oh Please, oh please, oh please, no!
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #112
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Nope, not at all. I was meerly asking you tell to me about a Religion were Living a Christian LIfe would ultimately bring me to the "hell" of that religion. I'm drawing a blank. Please do Enlighten me.
Well I'll give you one off the top of my head, the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession you sir are hell bound. So you'd better run down to the nearest little boy petting zoo and tell the man in the box all the naughty stuff you've been up to. (That includes spending too much time wiping your anus.)
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #113
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Well I'll give you one off the top of my head, the Catholic religion. If you have not been baptized, had communion, and gone to confession you sir are hell bound. So you'd better run down to the nearest little boy petting zoo and tell the man in the box all the naughty stuff you've been up to. (That includes spending too much time wiping your anus.)
Roman Catholicism and Christianity Are the same thing. :facepalm:
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #114
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,445
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Nope, not at all. I was meerly asking you tell to me about a Religion were Living a Christian LIfe would ultimately bring me to the "hell" of that religion. I'm drawing a blank. Please do Enlighten me.
Besides Muslim, I can't think of one either. Most eastern religions do not even have the concept of "hell".

And that is probably the #1 thing about Christianity that bothers me. Most other religions are way more accepting and tolerant of other view points. Christianity is one of the few religions that claim to have a monopoly on enlightenment. I have a tough time with the idea that a god would create an entire universe, claim to love all who dwell in it, but then choose a small band of mid-eastern sheep herders to get his true word while allowing all others to be lead astray.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #115
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,445
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Roman Catholicism and Christianity Are the same thing. :facepalm:
I'm amazed at how many people don't understand that.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #116
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Besides Muslim, I can't think of one either. Most eastern religions do not even have the concept of "hell".

And that is probably the #1 thing about Christianity that bothers me. Most other religions are way more accepting and tolerant of other view points. Christianity is one of the few religions that claim to have a monopoly on enlightenment. I have a tough time with the idea that a god would create an entire universe, claim to love all who dwell in it, but then choose a small band of mid-eastern sheep herders to get his true word while allowing all others to be lead astray.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. However, If/when they do get it out, It'll be that more impressive. That's just how my God rolls.

Seriously though, That's just one more reason for Christians to be more adamant about sharing the gospel.

I also can only think of Islam but I have an interesting view point on that. Ishmael was just jealous so he made sure to instill in his Descendants a Hatred for his brother's "religion" which then materialized into the Qua-ran saying that Christians are going to die and burn.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #117
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,445
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Seriously though, That's just one more reason for Christians to be more adamant about sharing the gospel.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess if you knew that the Titanic was going to sink you would have been pushing awful hard to get people, especially your friends and family, into the life boats.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #118
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Roman Catholicism and Christianity Are the same thing. :facepalm:
So you are saying all Christians are going to heaven according to your beliefs? I realize that there are many different brands of religions in Christianity which makes it even more difficult to believe any of them. There are all these people claiming to be christians and telling you how to get to heaven but they contradict themselves with one another.

So it boils down to; I don't care what you quote from the bible cuz I don't believe it to be correct. :dickmouth:
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #119
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,083
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess if you knew that the Titanic was going to sink you would have been pushing awful hard to get people, especially your friends and family, into the life boats.
That is a great analogy to use in the way you put it.
You could say Christ is that life boat.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #120
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,920
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
So you are saying all Christians are going to heaven according to your beliefs? I realize that there are many different brands of religions in Christianity which makes it even more difficult to believe any of them. There are all these people claiming to be christians and telling you how to get to heaven but they contradict themselves with one another.

So it boils down to; I don't care what you quote from the bible cuz I don't believe it to be correct. :dickmouth:
Denominations are what you are talking about. One thing I think you'll find in all Christian Denominations is that they believe Christ is the son of God and Died on the Cross for our sins. If they aren't that, They aren't a Christian Denomination and are a different religion. This argument has nothing to do with the bible at the moment. This is simple Definitions of Theological institutes.

There are millions of Christians in the world and you expect every single one to agree? Not only that, but you have to realize that there is an enemy of God trying to divide the body of Christ so that we cannot efficiently reach every person on this planet. The Amount of Denominations proves this. I don't like Religion, I like having a relationship With God through his son Jesus Christ. Religion is a Human based institute made up of rules by humans. Most of the time when humans try and put rules on things you get situations like the Roman Catholic Church and The Jewish Church around Christs' time. You have Higher up leaders that are corrupt because they lack the relationship and only care about thier out wards appearence to thier Congregation.

I could care less if you were baptized, spoke in tougnes, Had a "out of body Experience", Was Released from a Demon ETC, All I care about is the Relationship with God. I'm working on not even caring about heaven.

Also, if you want the to play the "don't quote the bible" card......We're talking Christian Theology (right now) and it's part of it. That would be like saying I want to know how the Electrical Code works in MI but you can't quote the NEC. I don't believe in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
That is a great analogy to use in the way you put it.
You could say Christ is that life boat.
Can you tell I'm a bit bored tonight?

I actually use that analogy to try and explain why God does things (Mostly 'bad') to bring glory to himself. If you were drowning in a ocean and destined for death would you want the Life boat captin to let you do what ever you wanted and live your, at the moment, brief life or would you want him to do anything he could to bring attention (glory) to him? Even if that includes hitting you in the head with the safety Ring.

Last edited by L4CX; March 15th, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.31318 seconds with 81 queries