Theist or Non-Theist - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
View Poll Results: Are you a Theist or Non-Theist?
Theist 48 46.60%
Non-theist 55 53.40%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #81
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Then you should qualify your statement with that very important tidbit. I would agree with your assessment of religious extremism, however, your last statement + your poll made it sound like Theists == Religious Extremists.

That isn't the case.
touche. ;)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #82
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Faith has been brought into this, it's not that I don't have faith. I just don't believe in the bible and what it says. And you will sit there and tell me that I am wrong and you are right, and that I will be going to hell. You can sit on your high horse and preach to me because you think you know, well keep in mind that there are many other belief systems out there that have you stamped with a one way ticket to hell. Well me personally I think it takes all kinds, you can believe whatever you want and I could care less. I don't believe any of you are going to hell, I don't think it exists. But keep in mind that you may be wrong and if you are that's fine too just don't try to tell me I'm going to hell because as even your beliefs teach you only "god" can judge.
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #83
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

I don't think faith is a good thing. Faith is believing in something without any logical reason or evidence and even possibly when there is contrary evidence to the claim/idea. Let's set religion aside, when is it a good idea to have faith in something? I suppose if it makes you feel better in a situation that you have no control over, but... anything else?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #84
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't think faith is a good thing. Faith is believing in something without any logical reason or evidence and even possibly when there is contrary evidence to the claim/idea. Let's set religion aside, when is it a good idea to have faith in something? I suppose if it makes you feel better in a situation that you have no control over, but... anything else?
Faith works for some people. All hypothesis start on faith and get worked out from there.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #85
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Faith has been brought into this, it's not that I don't have faith. I just don't believe in the bible and what it says. And you will sit there and tell me that I am wrong and you are right, and that I will be going to hell. You can sit on your high horse and preach to me because you think you know, well keep in mind that there are many other belief systems out there that have you stamped with a one way ticket to hell. Well me personally I think it takes all kinds, you can believe whatever you want and I could care less. I don't believe any of you are going to hell, I don't think it exists. But keep in mind that you may be wrong and if you are that's fine too just don't try to tell me I'm going to hell because as even your beliefs teach you only "god" can judge.
Please, do, Tell me what religion I'm considered to be going to hell in. Muslim doesn't count. I believe in Allah. I just don't believe in the prophet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't think faith is a good thing. Faith is believing in something without any logical reason or evidence and even possibly when there is contrary evidence to the claim/idea. Let's set religion aside, when is it a good idea to have faith in something? I suppose if it makes you feel better in a situation that you have no control over, but... anything else?
Wrong. Faith is not a bad thing and those with faith can have logic and reason. Do you have faith in your wife to not Cheat on you? IMO, it takes more to use logic and reason but still be able to have a faith in something more that cannot be seen. Anybody can trust in something they can see. Also, I've never seen Contrary Evidence that I didn't except. Maybe I'm the Exception; Just to let you know though, I'm not much different then most Christians my age.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #86
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,955
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't think faith is a good thing. Faith is believing in something without any logical reason or evidence and even possibly when there is contrary evidence to the claim/idea. Let's set religion aside, when is it a good idea to have faith in something?
L4CX already covered the relationship thing.

I'll cover another slant, some of you exercised certain votes based on faith or the belief in a liar and his media blitz even when contrary evidence was available; and now look who we have mismanaging things in D.C....

I'll add another, you have previously claimed to have faith in scientific/logical theory that science is presumably based upon. While the underlying premise may seem reasonable, what you miss is that it is up to humans to enforce, police and reason through the process. Humans are fundamentally flawed, prone to acting in their own self interests, come to conclusions based upon a preconceived notion, etc. As but an example, the climate blitz in my own lifetime has swung from the 1970's alarmism that we were headed in the direction of a mini ice age (I remember reading such claims in National Geographic as a pre-teen in the 1970s) to the current trend of "Climate <> Weather" as the AlGore Worshippers lamely apologetically attempt to snidely look down on reasonable skepticism to their false science.

While we're piling things up, you take it on faith that the input from your various senses sending nerve impulses to your brain are accurate - yet can you ever think of instances where your own senses have fooled you? can you ever think of instances where your own urges and impulses have led you astray?

blame it on a glitch in the matrix? of course not.

the point is, whether you are willing to admit it or not, many things that you take for granted on a daily basis are a form of faith. some are supported by your senses, some are supported by a sense of logic, rule, and order, others you faithfully rely upon the logic/integrity of others to validate...
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #87
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post


Wrong. Faith is not a bad thing and those with faith can have logic and reason. Do you have faith in your wife to not Cheat on you? IMO, it takes more to use logic and reason but still be able to have a faith in something more that cannot be seen. Anybody can trust in something they can see. Also, I've never seen Contrary Evidence that I didn't except. Maybe I'm the Exception; Just to let you know though, I'm not much different then most Christians my age.
I do have logical reasons and evidence to believe my wife won't cheat on me and I don't have any contrary evidence showing that she probably will cheat on me.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #88
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,579
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
the point is, whether you are willing to admit it or not, many things that you take for granted on a daily basis are a form of faith. some are supported by your senses, some are supported by a sense of logic, rule, and order, others you faithfully rely upon the logic/integrity of others to validate...
The brakes in an automobile would be an excellent example.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #89
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
The brakes in an automobile would be an excellent example.
But you do have evidence and a logical reason to believe that your brakes will work. Faith is belief despite evidence and logic.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #90
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,126
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Faith has been brought into this, it's not that I don't have faith. I just don't believe in the bible and what it says. And you will sit there and tell me that I am wrong and you are right, and that I will be going to hell. You can sit on your high horse and preach to me because you think you know, well keep in mind that there are many other belief systems out there that have you stamped with a one way ticket to hell. Well me personally I think it takes all kinds, you can believe whatever you want and I could care less. I don't believe any of you are going to hell, I don't think it exists. But keep in mind that you may be wrong and if you are that's fine too just don't try to tell me I'm going to hell because as even your beliefs teach you only "god" can judge.
I am not telling you that you are going to hell. What I am saying to you is Jesus said if you do not believe in Him then you will spend an eternity away from God. Who knows what it is like away from God but Jesus spoke about hell and how real it is more than he spoke about heaven.
I am not on a high horse and I am not preaching to you.
Put it this way, if I am right in what I am telling you, you have everything to gain, but if you are wrong then you will spend an eternity away from God. That is a place I would not want to be.
As Christians we are instructed to tell all the nations about Christ and when that time comes, He willl return and judgment will happen, yes you are correct God will judge you. Did you accept Him or reject Him?
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #91
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,955
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I do have logical reasons and evidence to believe my wife won't cheat on me and I don't have any contrary evidence showing that she probably will cheat on me.


now you do!
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #92
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,955
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
But you do have evidence and a logical reason to believe that your brakes will work. Faith is belief despite evidence and logic.
like Al Gore...
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #93
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
But you do have evidence and a logical reason to believe that your brakes will work. Faith is belief despite evidence and logic.
I do have Evidence and Logical Reason that God is real and alive in my life. You probably won't except it though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I do have logical reasons and evidence to believe my wife won't cheat on me and I don't have any contrary evidence showing that she probably will cheat on me.
Newlywed
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #94
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,955
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I do have logical reasons and evidence to believe my wife won't cheat on me

evidence? logic?

no you don't. you have her testimony and examples of her behavior that lead you to believe she loves you (an illogical emotion) and that she won't cheat on you. to a reasonable man they may be enough.

to someone just coming from a bad relationship that ended horribly, you are as naive as the Christians professing faith despite what you see as evidence that refutes it.

trust and faith are related emotions whether you choose to believe it or not.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #95
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,126
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
But you do have evidence and a logical reason to believe that your brakes will work. Faith is belief despite evidence and logic.
I believe ryebread just handed you more of your dumdass back to you.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #96
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I believe ryebread just handed you more of your dumdass back to you.
What is dumdass?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #97
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,809
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
evidence? logic?

no you don't. you have her testimony and examples of her behavior that lead you to believe she loves you (an illogical emotion) and that she won't cheat on you. to a reasonable man they may be enough.

to someone just coming from a bad relationship that ended horribly, you are as naive as the Christians professing faith despite what you see as evidence that refutes it.

trust and faith are related emotions whether you choose to believe it or not.
I believe that her first hand testimony and me seeing her behavior are logical reasons and evidence to believe she won't cheat on me. Definitely more logical than 2nd hand testimony by people who didn't actually know the person they are writing about. My wife's actions are not concrete or set in stone, but seems to give a logical reason to believe. Do people who sign a contract only believe that the other person will fulfill it on faith? The contract wouldn't act as evidence to support a belief?

Last edited by mikesova; March 14th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #98
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,955
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I believe that her first hand testimony and me seeing her behavior are logical reasons and evidence to believe she won't cheat on me.
logical reasons? nope. trusting, or faithful reasons? yep. some might even state prudent and reasonable conclusions - but not logical.

and definitely not statistically meaningful.

isn't science neat?
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #99
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,990
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
logical reasons? nope. trusting, or faithful reasons? yep. some might even state prudent and reasonable conclusions - but not logical.

and definitely not statistically meaningful.

isn't science neat?
True. I think it's about 50% divorce rate now. Does that mean that there is faith that you won't be in the 50% that get divorced? Or is that hope? I think those two are VERY closely related.

And Mike, I'm not trying to nix your marriage. It's just kind of fun to use as an example. I use mine all the time as an example...Good and bad.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #100
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,440
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I just masturbated with a turnip.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.33948 seconds with 81 queries