Theist or Non-Theist - Page 10 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
View Poll Results: Are you a Theist or Non-Theist?
Theist 48 46.60%
Non-theist 55 53.40%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #181
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,994
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Wow. I put it all in one easy to read post and still the same response. Once again; I DID NOT SAY CATHOLICS ARE NOT CHRISTIANS. THEY DO NOT BELIEVE ALL CHRISTIANS ARE GOING TO HEAVEN. THE CATHOLIC RELIGION IS A DENOMINATION OF CHRISTIANITY AND I DO UNDERSTAND THIS. I gave you exactly what you asked for and you are not reading what I'm writing. You are more worried about not looking wrong. You wanted an example of where in a belief system other than yours says you will go to hell by living a christian life and that's what I gave you. As for how my comments about the reason catholics believe this you have not given me reason as to why I am incorrect.
It is not a Different Religion. You've admitted that. It's a Different Denomination. I asked you for another religion, not denomination. By Definition When I say "my Religion" I'm talking about Christianity, Including the Catholics. It is not a Valid "religion" when asked "what Religion other then Christianity (or my religion) will I go to hell for living a Christian life?"

"what Color, other then my favorite Color (red), will get me pulled over" You cannot answer Red because I've already Specified that Red is a color that will get me pulled over. But then you came and Said "red".
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #182
93xjr
Senile Member
 
93xjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-10
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 215
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
It is not a Different Religion. You've admitted that. It's a Different Denomination. I asked you for another religion, not denomination. By Definition When I say "my Religion" I'm talking about Christianity, Including the Catholics. It is not a Valid "religion" when asked "what Religion other then Christianity (or my religion) will I go to hell for living a Christian life?"

"what Color, other then my favorite Color (red), will get me pulled over" You cannot answer Red because I've already Specified that Red is a color that will get me pulled over. But then you came and Said "red".
Sir I must tip my hat to you. In light of reading exactly what was written and by your definition of "religions" and "denominations" I did not give you a different religion other than your own that will say you are going to burn in hell.
For that I will admit you have won this argument. This does not however make my statements about the catholic teachings incorrect. But it does make it clear, by what you yourself have said, that you will be damned to hell by your own religion.
93xjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #183
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,994
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjr View Post
Sir I must tip my hat to you. In light of reading exactly what was written and by your definition of "religions" and "denominations" I did not give you a different religion other than your own that will say you are going to burn in hell.
For that I will admit you have won this argument. This does not however make my statements about the catholic teachings incorrect. But it does make it clear, by what you yourself have said, that you will be damned to hell by your own religion.
Yeah, I didn't quite understand what you were saying but now I do.

According to Some Pentecostal, Baptist, and Other Churches I'm not going to heaven either. I don't speak in tongues, I don't Prophecy, the list goes on.

I believe in the base teachings of Christ and Christ alone. Most of the Dogma's From all the other churches are based off of letters written by the Apostles, Mostly Paul. The One article that Disorder XJ posted I actually agree with. I just don't agree that the Roman Catholic Church is that "true religion". I believe that God just wants to have a Relationship with us and my belief system fosters that. Christian Denominations need to get back to the basics and Stick with them.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #184
fruzz
we todd did
 
fruzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-31-07
Location: spring lake
Posts: 142
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

how long has hallucogens been around. no wonder that dumb ass could walk on water. do you not see how much $ churches have. I would like to see everyone to go to church and not give and see how long that place would last thouse non tax paying suckers. you need to give to show your faith. no it so you can bye a new caddy. you are a dumb ass its all about the $ and a waist of time and non-theist.
fruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #185
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,825
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I don't speak in tongues, I don't Prophecy, the list goes on.
I don't prophecy either.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #186
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,994
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruzz View Post
how long has hallucogens been around. no wonder that dumb ass could walk on water. do you not see how much $ churches have. I would like to see everyone to go to church and not give and see how long that place would last thouse non tax paying suckers. you need to give to show your faith. no it so you can bye a new caddy. you are a dumb ass its all about the $ and a waist of time and non-theist.
You are full of Crap. Churches are Struggling just as much as everybody else. They were even before our Economy took a dump. I'm not just pulling this out of my butt either. My Dad is a Pastor, Most of his friends are pastors. I know how much the church is struggling because I've seen the budgets. My dad makes no more then 40,000 a year. He's been doing it for almost 30 years. He made no more then 30,000 a year up intill about 6 years ago. He's not in it for the money, Trust me.

Do actually know what that money goes to? Among things like Paying the heating bill, electric bill, so on. A Majority of it goes to church funded missionaries across seas and even in our country. Most churches in the US are falling apart (the building) because they can't afford to maintain them as they should. Not to mention you have to pay the (very small Salary) for people like the Secretaries and, if they even are paid, the Children's ministry director, the Choir director and the Janitors. Most, if not all, of the smaller churches are, and have been, running in the red for years. Not because they lavishly waste the money, but because they are being spread thin by the amount of money they are giving away to try and make the world a Better place.

Edit: Let me be clear in saying that there are SOME churches that take advantage of people. But to say that all churches are like that is just plain wrong. MOST churches are struggling to keep the doors open.

Last edited by L4CX; March 17th, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #187
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,994
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I don't prophecy either.
Couldn't Think how to spell the word I was looking for. Prophesy? You know what I mean. And I know you don't, because you're not filled with the holy spirit. Mostly because you don't believe in him.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #188
wolverine 00 xj
Senior Member
 
wolverine 00 xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Location: Ypsilanti
Posts: 139
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
But morals are subjective, and personal. So when he says he believes himself to be more moral than your God he has given his personal opinion based on his morality, not a statement of logic.
Nice try to rationalize an irrational statement. Of course he doesn't say "that's just my opinion"; he frames his second statement as an absolute judgment. It reminds me of when my six year old daughter used to ask me to play a little board game she had called "Candyland," where you try to get to the end of a course before your competitor, based on cards you draw. As soon as I would get ahead of her, she would change the rules to send me backwards until she inevitably won. When you make up your own rules, of course you "win" every time. Likewise, when you say morality is "subjective," you're always more "moral" than anyone else - and of course that's a meaningless statement, just like winning every time at Candyland by your own rules is meaningless. But at least my daughter was cute about it.

Like any moral relativist, what you really mean is that all morality that you don't like is relative, but once it comes to a topic you hold an opinion about, then suddenly there's a "right" and "wrong" position.
wolverine 00 xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #189
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
You are full of Crap. Churches are Struggling just as much as everybody else. They were even before our Economy took a dump. I'm not just pulling this out of my butt either. My Dad is a Pastor, Most of his friends are pastors. I know how much the church is struggling because I've seen the budgets. My dad makes no more then 40,000 a year. He's been doing it for almost 30 years. He made no more then 30,000 a year up intill about 6 years ago. He's not in it for the money, Trust me.

Do actually know what that money goes to? Among things like Paying the heating bill, electric bill, so on. A Majority of it goes to church funded missionaries across seas and even in our country. Most churches in the US are falling apart (the building) because they can't afford to maintain them as they should. Not to mention you have to pay the (very small Salary) for people like the Secretaries and, if they even are paid, the Children's ministry director, the Choir director and the Janitors. Most, if not all, of the smaller churches are, and have been, running in the red for years. Not because they lavishly waste the money, but because they are being spread thing by the amount of they are giving away to try and make the world a Better place.

Edit: Let me be clear in saying that there are SOME churches that take advantage of people. But to say that all churches are like that is just plain wrong. MOST churches are struggling to keep the doors open.
$40,000 A year probably sounds like a hell of a living to alot of people, and they're probably willing to do actual work for it instead of selling a line of bullshit. If I opened up a store selling magic air in a can and said it was help people could I give people a guilt trip to make them give me money?
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #190
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine 00 xj View Post
Nice try to rationalize an irrational statement. Of course he doesn't say "that's just my opinion"; he frames his second statement as an absolute judgment. It reminds me of when my six year old daughter used to ask me to play a little board game she had called "Candyland," where you try to get to the end of a course before your competitor, based on cards you draw. As soon as I would get ahead of her, she would change the rules to send me backwards until she inevitably won. When you make up your own rules, of course you "win" every time. Likewise, when you say morality is "subjective," you're always more "moral" than anyone else - and of course that's a meaningless statement, just like winning every time at Candyland by your own rules is meaningless. But at least my daughter was cute about it.

Like any moral relativist, what you really mean is that all morality that you don't like is relative, but once it comes to a topic you hold an opinion about, then suddenly there's a "right" and "wrong" position.

Sounds logical to me, and you are correct how some here tend to make up their own rules as they go.
Glad they can't pack up and take the internet home with them when things don't go thier way, we'd have nobody to debate with.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #191
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,825
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine 00 xj View Post
Nice try to rationalize an irrational statement. Of course he doesn't say "that's just my opinion"; he frames his second statement as an absolute judgment. It reminds me of when my six year old daughter used to ask me to play a little board game she had called "Candyland," where you try to get to the end of a course before your competitor, based on cards you draw. As soon as I would get ahead of her, she would change the rules to send me backwards until she inevitably won. When you make up your own rules, of course you "win" every time. Likewise, when you say morality is "subjective," you're always more "moral" than anyone else - and of course that's a meaningless statement, just like winning every time at Candyland by your own rules is meaningless. But at least my daughter was cute about it.

Like any moral relativist, what you really mean is that all morality that you don't like is relative, but once it comes to a topic you hold an opinion about, then suddenly there's a "right" and "wrong" position.
No. morals are subjective to each person. My morals are superior to yours (to me). I'm sure your morals are superior to my morals (to you). That is what I am saying. (to me) My morals and your morals are superior to what the bible claims to be god's morals. I am not stating that everyone should live by my superior morals, I am stating that everyone has their own set of morals that they live by, even if they claim to be living by those set in the bible.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #192
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
$40,000 A year probably sounds like a hell of a living to alot of people, and they're probably willing to do actual work for it instead of selling a line of bullshit. If I opened up a store selling magic air in a can and said it was help people could I give people a guilt trip to make them give me money?

Lets put it this way, these churches don't make anybody give em money. People give from their hearts because they are willing to give and help others in need.
What you need to do is go on a mission trip and see how poor other places are in this world, that would give you a different outlook about people that have and the people that havenot.
Don't forget 40grand a year, he pays taxes on that, he puts his own money back into his church, he has expences to live on and so on.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #193
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
No. morals are subjective to each person. My morals are superior to yours (to me). I'm sure your morals are superior to my morals (to you). That is what I am saying. (to me) My morals and your morals are superior to what the bible claims to be god's morals. I am not stating that everyone should live by my superior morals, I am stating that everyone has their own set of morals that they live by, even if they claim to be living by those set in the bible.
Wow you're just so full of yourself, how do you live with yourself?
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #194
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,825
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Wow you're just so full of yourself, how do you live with yourself?
Aber61, Do you think that your morals are superior to mine? Keep in mind, I think having pre-marital sex...is OK. gasp.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #195
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Lets put it this way, these churches don't make anybody give em money. People give from their hearts because they are willing to give and help others in need.
What you need to do is go on a mission trip and see how poor other places are in this world, that would give you a different outlook about people that have and the people that havenot.
Don't forget 40grand a year, he pays taxes on that, he puts his own money back into his church, he has expences to live on and so on.
You can give to charities for all the poor little pygmies in the world without funneling it through the story tellers cutting a fat percentage off the top. You tell me exactly how much professional liars are supposed to be paid these days? I know they serve a purpose and help keep the most scared and feeble of the world from pissing themselves whenever the wind kicks up, but it's still selling a line of bullshit.
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #196
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
You can give to charities for all the poor little pygmies in the world without funneling it through the story tellers cutting a fat percentage off the top. You tell me exactly how much professional liars are supposed to be paid these days? I know they serve a purpose and help keep the most scared and feeble of the world from pissing themselves whenever the wind kicks up, but it's still selling a line of bullshit.
The lack of knowledge of how finances are actually run in churches is amazing. Once again we have a perfect example of a delusional anti-church person who believes all church look like and hold the wealth that is displayed by the Catholic church in the DaVinci code


Most, not all but the majority of churches struggle with paying their bills on time.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #197
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
The lack of knowledge of how finances are actually run in churches is amazing. Once again we have a perfect example of a delusional anti-church person who believes all church look like and hold the wealth that is displayed by the Catholic church in the DaVinci code


Most, not all but the majority of churches struggle with paying their bills on time.
There's no lack of knowledge here. To someone such as myself, who doesn't need a security blanket, one nickel is too much for professional scam artists. I realize churches are necessary for the feeble minded, but I think it's sad that such a large (but shrinking) portion of the human race still needs this primitive crutch.
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #198
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
There's no lack of knowledge here. To someone such as myself, who doesn't need a security blanket, one nickel is too much for professional scam artists. I realize churches are necessary for the feeble minded, but I think it's sad that such a large (but shrinking) portion of the human race still needs this primitive crutch.
I have been blessed to be able to tithe. I'm happy that the majority of that money goes towards helping people and I'm thrilled to have a place of worship.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #199
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I have been blessed to be able to tithe. I'm happy that the majority of that money goes towards helping people and I'm thrilled to have a place of worship.
You worship a voice in your head, and have to pay someone to make it feel legitimate? Does god trade in dollars these days? How much is a ticket to heaven anyway? What if god has a little slant to his eyes, and you get to the gates of heaven, and he'd expected you to donate yen all along? What about blood? Does he accept us spilling blood for him anymore like the good old days? Or does people pretending to eat and drink him make that obsolete?
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #200
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,508
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

No, I go to a place where I can be surrounded by like minded people that love the one true God. Yes, he's in my head, but also in my heart, soul and all around. I love feeling the spirit of God. Hopefully you'll get the chance before it's two late.

I like reading your post because you make me laugh . . . I think you are trying to make me look bad but I just see some desperate soul reaching out for Jesus and all I can do is pray for you!! Pause . . . . . there, I just did!
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.42743 seconds with 81 queries