Unions, what if........................... - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #1
pizzaman
Senior Member
 
pizzaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Independence Twsp, North Oakland County
Posts: 935
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Unions, what if...........................

Unions, what if all businesses were unionized? Had this discussion the other day with someone.
I would especially like to hear a response from pro union people on this.
pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,673
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

We'd all have health insurance. :)
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Rebel2345
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
 
Rebel2345's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-07
Location: MI
Posts: 3,081
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Most business' would shut down, because the bag boys would be making $20 an hour.
Rebel2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #4
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,335
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

I would not be employed by my current employer.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,438
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

We would have to shut down all international trade so the business in the U.S wouldn't have to compete with other countries.
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #6
pizzaman
Senior Member
 
pizzaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Independence Twsp, North Oakland County
Posts: 935
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the plumber View Post
We'd all have health insurance. :)
That might be true, but that might be all you have. A large pizza would cost $25 on average.
I would not be employed as well.
pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,673
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I think I would be ok. You can't fix a toilet from India, or eliminate the use of plumbing.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #8
boghog360
Senior Member
 
boghog360's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-12-06
Location: Howell MI
Posts: 812
iTrader: (49)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

After working for 30+ years, for both union and non-union shops, and after having my own company. I can say I have never needed a union where ever I worked. I have had the union thugs threaten me twice, for working hard and making others look bad. The last place I worked I had a life changing injury as a union worker and the union did NOT help with my problem. I say this because even after watching the unions gain great strength in my life time and use it poorly. I still believe we need the unions. They no longer have the power they once had and abused. If you study why, and when the unions formed here in the U.S. I can't imagine anybody saying we don't need them. One can use the swinging pendent in saying if the union is the pendent, the left side is little power, the right great power. I have watched the pendent sway from the great power to the little power side. I don't agree with many of the union policies or rules, but I would hate to see them destroyed. Many women and men fought very hard to get the unions. Some lost their lives. Just look up the documentary about the fires at the sewing shops in New York. Way before the UAW formed. I think most people don't need a union. I also had a supervisors position over UAW workers. While I was in that position, I discovered that there are rules in place to handle the unruly employee's. I also found that management would not enforce the rules. They almost always waited till they were at their wits end to correct a problem employee. Then they would try to inflict a punishment greater than what was called for. Then the union would show that there was no documentation for such punishment and the employee would walk. If management would enforce the rules that they have, we would see a better work ethic from the workers. I have witnessed workers saying "why should I work my ass off when (said idiot) sits on his ass and gets the same pay". My reply to that person was, you were hired for this position, to do this job, for this amount of money. No where did it say you are to monitor other employee's work habits, or lack of. Management is in charge of monitoring employee's.
If we lose the unions, I don't believe we will get them back when we want them. We will want them again. With the new terrorist laws on the books, it will make it impossible to fight for the rights again.

whoops, the window said "post quick reply". Guess I failed that.
boghog360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #9
pizzaman
Senior Member
 
pizzaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Independence Twsp, North Oakland County
Posts: 935
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boghog360 View Post
After working for 30+ years, for both union and non-union shops, and after having my own company. I can say I have never needed a union where ever I worked. I have had the union thugs threaten me twice, for working hard and making others look bad. The last place I worked I had a life changing injury as a union worker and the union did NOT help with my problem. I say this because even after watching the unions gain great strength in my life time and use it poorly. I still believe we need the unions. They no longer have the power they once had and abused. If you study why, and when the unions formed here in the U.S. I can't imagine anybody saying we don't need them. One can use the swinging pendent in saying if the union is the pendent, the left side is little power, the right great power. I have watched the pendent sway from the great power to the little power side. I don't agree with many of the union policies or rules, but I would hate to see them destroyed. Many women and men fought very hard to get the unions. Some lost their lives. Just look up the documentary about the fires at the sewing shops in New York. Way before the UAW formed. I think most people don't need a union. I also had a supervisors position over UAW workers. While I was in that position, I discovered that there are rules in place to handle the unruly employee's. I also found that management would not enforce the rules. They almost always waited till they were at their wits end to correct a problem employee. Then they would try to inflict a punishment greater than what was called for. Then the union would show that there was no documentation for such punishment and the employee would walk. If management would enforce the rules that they have, we would see a better work ethic from the workers. I have witnessed workers saying "why should I work my ass off when (said idiot) sits on his ass and gets the same pay". My reply to that person was, you were hired for this position, to do this job, for this amount of money. No where did it say you are to monitor other employee's work habits, or lack of. Management is in charge of monitoring employee's.
If we lose the unions, I don't believe we will get them back when we want them. We will want them again. With the new terrorist laws on the books, it will make it impossible to fight for the rights again.

whoops, the window said "post quick reply". Guess I failed that.
I had a job in management where I supervised 10 people that were teamsters.
Their contract was 8 inches thick and a joke. I have similar stories and some worse.
But again the real question here is what if ALL businesses were union? How would that affect life as we know it?
pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #10
kmanxj5011
Senior Member
 
kmanxj5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-08
Location: Reed City, Michigan
Posts: 2,117
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel2345 View Post
Most business' would shut down, because the bag boys would be making $20 an hour.
^^^^^ THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I would not be employed by my current employer.
x2

My Grand-Father, Father, and Uncle own a Screw Machine, CNC shop. If a union came in my grandpa would have a for sale sign on the door 5 minutes later and be retired.
kmanxj5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #11
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,837
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the plumber View Post
We'd all have health insurance. :)
Not necessarily.

Union membership <> health insurance.

If everybody were unionized, it would look a lot like most of Europe where they have government-sponsored healthcare, pensions, workplace rules, etc...

Meaning, extremely high prices, higher unemployment as everything possible is automated or offshored, and impending financial collapse.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,673
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Not necessarily.

Union membership health insurance.

If everybody were unionized, it would look a lot like most of Europe where they have government-sponsored healthcare, pensions, workplace rules, etc...

Meaning, extremely high prices, higher unemployment as everything possible is automated or offshored, and impending financial collapse.
Fine with me. Foreigners I meet on vacations in the Caribbean are cool, laid back and happy for the most part. Once we get to drinking and busting each others balls at the bar, they always tell me how Americans are too high paced, work themselves to death, and don't go on"holiday"nearly enough.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #13
boghog360
Senior Member
 
boghog360's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-12-06
Location: Howell MI
Posts: 812
iTrader: (49)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the plumber View Post
Fine with me. Foreigners I meet on vacations in the Caribbean are cool, laid back and happy for the most part. Once we get to drinking and busting each others balls at the bar, they always tell me how Americans are too high paced, work themselves to death, and don't go on"holiday"nearly enough.
That's true Rob, I have been in Mexico and had the same expreience. We work too much and don't take enough "Holiday's". I know of a couple from England and they say we are underpaid and over worked.
Gee, maybe that's why everybody wants to come to America. We work hard to build a great country, and the foreigners want to come and enjoy the benefits.
boghog360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #14
orangejeeper
Member
 
orangejeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-01-08
Location: Jackson Mich.
Posts: 49
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've been a union member for 34 years, and am now an officer in the same union. Our new owners (foreigners) love our employees and continue to treat us very well. I don't think unions belong or are needed everywhere, but they are needed , and I think if they are lost we of the working class would be in a world of shit..back where we were years ago. You have a-holes on both sides ....Our prev.owners were total a-holes, an American Co.
orangejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,460
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

we would be as innovative and productive as China. We would all be motivated to be better than other professinals in our field.
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #16
schanxj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-28-05
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I work for a union factory as a maintenance electrician, my pay would most likely be the same as it is now if my shop were non-union. I originally hired in as a pipe fitter/welder, my pay was twice what I was making for non-union shops while doing the same work. That being said we also employ people that make less than $10/hr. and are in the same union as I am. The pay is based on skill level and job classification rather than seniority. I think unions help protect the common worker from the big businesses screwing them over. There will ALWAYS be those lazy employees that slip through the cracks and get something for nothing, union or not.
schanxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #17
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,224
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Not necessarily.

Union membership <> health insurance.

If everybody were unionized, it would look a lot like most of Europe where they have government-sponsored healthcare, pensions, workplace rules, etc...

Meaning, extremely high prices, higher unemployment as everything possible is automated or offshored, and impending financial collapse.
So in other words, we are right on track to be Europe 2.0.
mschaffer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #18
jaysusr
Senior Member
 
jaysusr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-10
Location: Oakland county.
Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Want a fun read? Go to unionfacts.com and find your union. See how much the bosses make. You'll sheet your self that u pay them so much.
jaysusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #19
gofastbobby
The guy Dale doesn't know
 
gofastbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-07
Location: kalamazoo, mi
Posts: 4,182
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i'd make twice what I make now and a pizza would probably cost $450 delivered to my door.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
America! Fuck yeah!
gofastbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #20
Tie Dyed
O.G.
 
Tie Dyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,177
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tie Dyed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel2345 View Post
Most business' would shut down, because the bag boys would be making $20 an hour.
When they had them, Meijer baggers were not making $20 an hour. Pretty sure Farmer Jack and Kroger baggers also did not make $20 an hour.



I am not sure what it would be like if every workplace was unionized. Never really thought about it. I think some people would be doing better, while some jobs would suffer.
__________________
2000 XJ with a 3 inch body lift
Tie Dyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.35123 seconds with 82 queries