Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Het "conservative capitalists", defend this....

Conservative Activists Rebel Against Fox News: Saudi Ownership Is ‘Really Dangerous For America’


Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owns a 7 percent stake in News Corp — the parent company of Fox News — making him the largest shareholder outside the family of News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch. Alwaleed has grown close with the Murdoch enterprise, recently endorsing James Murdoch to succeed his father and creating a content-sharing agreement with Fox News for his own media conglomerate, Rotana.

Last weekend, at the right-wing Constitutional Coalition’s annual conference in St. Louis, Joseph Farah, publisher of the far right WorldNetDaily, blasted Fox News for its relationship with Alwaleed. Farah noted correctly that Alwaleed had boasted in the past about forcing Fox News to change its content relating to its coverage of riots in Paris, and warned that such foreign ownership of American media is “really dangerous.” ThinkProgress was at the speech and observed attendees of the conference murmuring and shaking their heads in disapproval:

FARAH: There’s a flaw, a real compromise in Fox that you need to understand. And if you care about national security, you especially need to be attentive to it. And that is that Fox News parent company is News Corp has a significant ownership by a Saudi prince that many of you will be familiar with because right after 9/11 this prince very famously offered Rudolph Giuliani a big multi-million dollar check to rebuild and Giuliani told him to stick the check where the sun don’t shine because this guy was basically blaming America for what happened on 9/11. Well this guy owns a very significant percentage of the News Corp and has let the world know that he can get things taken off Fox News when he finds them objectionable and has in the past. And I really believe this is really dangerous for America.


Brigitte Gabriel, another speaker at the conference, said that Alwaleed was recently interviewed by Fox News’ Neil Cavuto. Gabriel angrily denounced the interview as a “darling high school reunion”: “All of the sudden, Neil Cavuto is interviewing him like a buddy-buddy because he is the boss.” Indeed, in the “rare” interview Alwaleed gave last month, he reaffirmed his “alliance” with the Murdoch family and told Cavuto why he has a personal stake in influencing American politics:

– On continuing America’s dependence on fossil fuels, Saudia Arabian oil: “Saudi Arabia’s strategic alliance with the United States will continue and as a derivative of that, the link with the oil between oil and dollars is there. The bulk of our GDP, the bulk of budget comes from oil and oil is still a dollar based commodity.” Fox News is an opponent of clean energy, and has aggressively attacked efforts to move America away from a fossil fuel dependent economy.

– On opposing financial reforms, bank responsibility fee: “In a way I’m conflicted because I’m invested in Citigroup but at the more global picture, I’m a big supporter of the United States. I believe taxing the banks right now is not the right thing at all. It’s like you have a patient coming out of an ICU.” Alwaleed owns a $4.3 billion dollars stake in Citigroup, a massive bank that spent millions lobbying against financial reform last year.

With the Citizens United Supreme Court decision essentially freeing corporations to spend unlimited amounts in campaigns, theoretically Alwaleed can pressure the American corporations he owns stock in to spend millions — or even billions — of dollars attacking candidates he opposes. In addition to his powerful Fox News outlet, Alwaleed and other foreign investors have potentially unprecedented power to impact American elections.

Okay Toes and 3-Foot, let's hear you trumpet your capitalist views now.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
upchuck
Senior Member
 
upchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: grand rapids, Michigan
Posts: 1,094
iTrader: (3)
Careful, you speak against the Oligarchy so well defended here
upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #3
smasheromalley
Senior Member
 
smasheromalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,036
iTrader: (15)
!!!!!

smasheromalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Conservative Activists Rebel Against Fox News: Saudi Ownership Is ‘Really Dangerous For America’


Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owns a 7 percent stake in News Corp — the parent company of Fox News — making him the largest shareholder outside the family of News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch. Alwaleed has grown close with the Murdoch enterprise, recently endorsing James Murdoch to succeed his father and creating a content-sharing agreement with Fox News for his own media conglomerate, Rotana.

Last weekend, at the right-wing Constitutional Coalition’s annual conference in St. Louis, Joseph Farah, publisher of the far right WorldNetDaily, blasted Fox News for its relationship with Alwaleed. Farah noted correctly that Alwaleed had boasted in the past about forcing Fox News to change its content relating to its coverage of riots in Paris, and warned that such foreign ownership of American media is “really dangerous.” ThinkProgress was at the speech and observed attendees of the conference murmuring and shaking their heads in disapproval:

FARAH: There’s a flaw, a real compromise in Fox that you need to understand. And if you care about national security, you especially need to be attentive to it. And that is that Fox News parent company is News Corp has a significant ownership by a Saudi prince that many of you will be familiar with because right after 9/11 this prince very famously offered Rudolph Giuliani a big multi-million dollar check to rebuild and Giuliani told him to stick the check where the sun don’t shine because this guy was basically blaming America for what happened on 9/11. Well this guy owns a very significant percentage of the News Corp and has let the world know that he can get things taken off Fox News when he finds them objectionable and has in the past. And I really believe this is really dangerous for America.


Brigitte Gabriel, another speaker at the conference, said that Alwaleed was recently interviewed by Fox News’ Neil Cavuto. Gabriel angrily denounced the interview as a “darling high school reunion”: “All of the sudden, Neil Cavuto is interviewing him like a buddy-buddy because he is the boss.” Indeed, in the “rare” interview Alwaleed gave last month, he reaffirmed his “alliance” with the Murdoch family and told Cavuto why he has a personal stake in influencing American politics:

– On continuing America’s dependence on fossil fuels, Saudia Arabian oil: “Saudi Arabia’s strategic alliance with the United States will continue and as a derivative of that, the link with the oil between oil and dollars is there. The bulk of our GDP, the bulk of budget comes from oil and oil is still a dollar based commodity.” Fox News is an opponent of clean energy, and has aggressively attacked efforts to move America away from a fossil fuel dependent economy.

– On opposing financial reforms, bank responsibility fee: “In a way I’m conflicted because I’m invested in Citigroup but at the more global picture, I’m a big supporter of the United States. I believe taxing the banks right now is not the right thing at all. It’s like you have a patient coming out of an ICU.” Alwaleed owns a $4.3 billion dollars stake in Citigroup, a massive bank that spent millions lobbying against financial reform last year.

With the Citizens United Supreme Court decision essentially freeing corporations to spend unlimited amounts in campaigns, theoretically Alwaleed can pressure the American corporations he owns stock in to spend millions — or even billions — of dollars attacking candidates he opposes. In addition to his powerful Fox News outlet, Alwaleed and other foreign investors have potentially unprecedented power to impact American elections.

Okay Toes and 3-Foot, let's hear you trumpet your capitalist views now.


OMG somebody wrote an article, lets all swing to the left and become socialists because of the atricle written by....Oh we don't know that, but thats O.K. because the mystery writer had it published in a notable .....Oh sorry we don't know that it was actually published. Thats O.K. because someone has uncovered the fact that a non American has investments in American companies.

Holy shit the world as we know it is comming to an end and its the fault of capitalism.

Not to fear the MIghty Obama will save everything by Sucking Ass....
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #5
addicted
Senior Member
 
addicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-31-08
Location: Byron, MI
Posts: 2,260
iTrader: (46)
Capitalism is an economic and social system in which capital, the non-labor factors of production (also known as the means of production), is privately owned; labor, goods and capital are traded in markets; and profits distributed to owners or invested in technologies and industries.



WTF does that article have to do with capitalism other than the fact that a guy with money to invest, invested in a company that will hopefully bring him a decent return on his investment?

Are you trying to say that foreign investors is an evil thing and that it shouldn't be allowed to happen? Do you know what would happen if foreign investors didn't invest anything in our countries businesses?

Capitalism built this country and helped make it what it is. If it wasn't for capitalism we wouldn't have but one type of anything because nobody would be allowed to make anything better to compete with the first persons product, and if the government controlled everything like you must think it should, there wouldn't be any incentive to make anything better or come up with a new idea since the government wouldn't allow it anyway. If they did they would get a big cut of it up front and then tax your earnings so badly that it wouldn't be worth your time and effort to do it. After all they have to pay for all the programs they came up with to make your life better because they know better than you do on how you should live your life and spend your money, ect.....

Maybe you should retitle this thread to i'm a socialist asshat and think capitalism is the devil.

Oh, one more thing, you spelled "Hey" wrong in the title..............liberal socialist!
addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Nuggets
Professional Pisser Offer
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,302
iTrader: (12)
AGoodBuzz = Socialist retard.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
AGoodBuzz = Socialist retard.
Socialists and retards like cheese.
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #8
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
AGoodBuzz = Socialist retard that should get bent.
fixed
ovrlnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Nuggets
Professional Pisser Offer
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,302
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Socialists and retards like cheese.
Hey, I like cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
fixed
I like your style.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #10
joe_jeep
welfare wheeler
 
joe_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-03-06
Location: hazel park, mi
Posts: 5,270
iTrader: (36)
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_jeep
remember,

OBAMA SUCKS ASS!
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #11
Nuggets
Professional Pisser Offer
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,302
iTrader: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
remember,

OBAMA SUCKS ASS!
With the enthusiasm of a Hoover.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
With the enthusiasm of a Hoover.
I wonder if Hoover liked cheese?
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #13
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted View Post
Capitalism is an economic and social system in which capital, the non-labor factors of production (also known as the means of production), is privately owned; labor, goods and capital are traded in markets; and profits distributed to owners or invested in technologies and industries.



WTF does that article have to do with capitalism other than the fact that a guy with money to invest, invested in a company that will hopefully bring him a decent return on his investment?

Are you trying to say that foreign investors is an evil thing and that it shouldn't be allowed to happen? Do you know what would happen if foreign investors didn't invest anything in our countries businesses?

Capitalism built this country and helped make it what it is. If it wasn't for capitalism we wouldn't have but one type of anything because nobody would be allowed to make anything better to compete with the first persons product, and if the government controlled everything like you must think it should, there wouldn't be any incentive to make anything better or come up with a new idea since the government wouldn't allow it anyway. If they did they would get a big cut of it up front and then tax your earnings so badly that it wouldn't be worth your time and effort to do it. After all they have to pay for all the programs they came up with to make your life better because they know better than you do on how you should live your life and spend your money, ect.....

Maybe you should retitle this thread to i'm a socialist asshat and think capitalism is the devil.

Oh, one more thing, you spelled "Hey" wrong in the title..............liberal socialist!
If you would have READ the article you would understand that it points out that a foreign investor has adequate influence in a major media source and can now control the information provided to the people over the public airwaves. This could happen because of the very views you so staunchly defend. So I want to know how you defend a foreigner controlling the media on our airwaves. I guess it's okay to you that he censor the news to suit his agenda? What if this happened to all of the media? What then? What if Toyota bought up ALL of our media and refused to advertise the Big 3. and had huge specials on major defects in their vehicles. What then? Are you okay with that? You MUST be, otherwise there is a hole in your capitalist viewpoint.

Me, a socialist... Right. I'm an officer in one the worlds largest financial institutions, publically traded, I earn bonuses, and I've made a fair amount of money on stocks, and you call me a socialist... What kind of job you got there smart guy?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #14
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
OMG somebody wrote an article, lets all swing to the left and become socialists because of the atricle written by....Oh we don't know that, but thats O.K. because the mystery writer had it published in a notable .....Oh sorry we don't know that it was actually published. Thats O.K. because someone has uncovered the fact that a non American has investments in American companies.

Holy shit the world as we know it is comming to an end and its the fault of capitalism.

Not to fear the MIghty Obama will save everything by Sucking Ass....
Yeah, just what I expected from you Toes... You did not respond at all to the point of the article. Typical.
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #15
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
Yeah, just what I expected from you Toes... You did not respond at all to the point of the article. Typical.
The article had no point just an opinion, an opinion with no real depth into the real problems we face, primarily liberal and the left selling out America, and the Constitution, in exchange for socialism and some kind of f**ked up world government.
What they described is exactly what you support and promote every time you say we have a world market now, or we must include the entire world in our actions.
That is unless your swinging right, and now support America first, and can admit that we could survive and prosper with more isolationist views.
This would mean you must denounce your belief in foreign health care being superior to ours. You must support the right of an individual to to have ambition, and be rewarded based on what they produce. You must also publicly announce that you believe there are no entitlements to anybody based on race, religion, sexual preference, or gender.

And finally you must scream OBAMA SUCKS ASS
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #16
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted View Post
Oh, one more thing, you spelled "Hey" wrong in the title..............liberal socialist!
How do you know I didn't want to say Het? You know, like "Het this", or "Het that". Kind of like zarf.

Gawd, you mustn't play Scrabble much.

Yeah, I'm a liberal, but you have no idea what a socialist is. I am quite clear on the definition because I have to decide whether or not it's going to be my belief system, and it clearly is not. You've proven you would deny historical fact and quotes from the framers of fascism as to the definition, so your definition of socialism is likely flawed as well. I bet you don't believe there really was a holocaust either...?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #17
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodBuzz View Post
How do you know I didn't want to say Het? You know, like "Het this", or "Het that". Kind of like zarf.

Gawd, you mustn't play Scrabble much.

Yeah, I'm a liberal, but you have no idea what a socialist is. I am quite clear on the definition because I have to decide whether or not it's going to be my belief system, and it clearly is not. You've proven you would deny historical fact and quotes from the framers of fascism as to the definition, so your definition of socialism is likely flawed as well. I bet you don't believe there really was a holocaust either...?
I believe there was a holocaust, I can't believe there are enough stupid people in this country to get Obama elected
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #18
AGoodBuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-09-07
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
The article had no point just an opinion, an opinion with no real depth into the real problems we face, primarily liberal and the left selling out America, and the Constitution, in exchange for socialism and some kind of f**ked up world government.
What they described is exactly what you support and promote every time you say we have a world market now, or we must include the entire world in our actions.
That is unless your swinging right, and now support America first, and can admit that we could survive and prosper with more isolationist views.
This would mean you must denounce your belief in foreign health care being superior to ours. You must support the right of an individual to to have ambition, and be rewarded based on what they produce. You must also publicly announce that you believe there are no entitlements to anybody based on race, religion, sexual preference, or gender.

And finally you must scream OBAMA SUCKS ASS
You're still avoiding the quesion. A question was clearly inferred in the article, and that is whether or not it's acceptable for a foreign national, by way of this supreme court decision, to be able to not only control the content of our news media, but to be able to finance any candidate they want with no limits to how much they spend? So are you in support of the idea of a candidate loyal to this guy to accept, oh, say, $50 billion dollars and full access to Fox network to run for, and likely win, the presidency of the U.S.?
AGoodBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #19
RangerXtreme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-18-09
Location: U.P. of MI
Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)
"If you would have READ the article you would understand that it points out that a foreign investor has adequate influence in a major media source and can now control the information provided to the people over the public airwaves. This could happen because of the very views you so staunchly defend."

You mean kind of like Obama's people do with CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, and every other liberal news organization?

Last edited by RangerXtreme; February 16th, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
RangerXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #20
Blazin_wheeler
turtles like me
 
Blazin_wheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-09
Location: Milford IN 46542
Posts: 4,648
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerXtreme View Post
"If you would have READ the article you would understand that it points out that a foreign investor has adequate influence in a major media source and can now control the information provided to the people over the public airwaves. This could happen because of the very views you so staunchly defend."

You mean kind of like Obama's people do with CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, and every other liberal news organization?
Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Blazin_wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.29217 seconds with 50 queries