Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #21
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I find this story very interesting. I also find the Bias undertones to be ridiculous, at best. To be honest, they didn't need to mention it was a group of Baptists. Or even that they were affiliated with God. But they did, And I'm not surprised.
I still don't understand how it's biased just because they mention that they are baptists. Why wouldn't they? That is their reason for being there, they are a baptist missionary group. That is the underlying "thing" that linked them together.

If they were from another non-profit organization, do you think they would just identify them as 10 random americans?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #22
Whit11b
Groovy
 
Whit11b's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-09
Location: Fenton, Mi
Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Whit11b
It's amazing how people go around with good intentions and cause problems. Instead of trying to grab kids and take them to some "rented beach hotel" in the Dominican Republic, why not take that money and setup a relief center in Haiti. Could have bought a lot of tents, cots, and what not. If you were well organized and knew what you were doing, it wouldn't have been that hard to get water and food supplies.

Then I read this -"One of their lawyers said they were being treated poorly: 'There is no air conditioning, no electricity. It is very disturbing,' Attorney Jorge Puello told the AP"

No A/C or electricity in a country that just got rocked by an earthquake? No wonder they wanted to take the kids out of country. Can't help people and sacrifice those luxuries now can we? I mean you about took a bunch of kids out of a country illegally, that should catch you a beating. The human trade is still alive in the world. Rightfully people get a little pissed about just trying to take a bunch of kids out of a country with no documentation.


This little bit is good, too. "'They're treating me pretty good,' she said, adding that Haitian police didn't bring her group any food or water, but that U.S. officials have delivered water and MREs to eat." Really the Haitians have their hands full trying to help the people affected by the quake and now they have to deal with these morons. I'm sure feeding these "rescuers" is their top priority.

On the whole Baptist note, it's right that they identified the people as Baptist. After all it was a mission put on by the Southern Baptist Convention. Which, unless I'm wrong, makes them Baptist participating in a "rescue" backed by a Baptist organization.
Whit11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #23
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
To be honest, they didn't need to mention it was a group of Baptists. Or even that they were affiliated with God. But they did, And I'm not surprised.
What do you mean? That is why they were there, spreading the word of god.


and stealing kids
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #24
Whit11b
Groovy
 
Whit11b's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-09
Location: Fenton, Mi
Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Whit11b
Right on CC.

"They are very precious kids that have lost their homes and families and are so deeply in need of, most of all, God's love and his compassion,' she told the AP in a jailhouse interview Saturday."

What those kids need most right now is not fluffy BS from some idiot, it's food, water, and shelter. I get the feeling that this Silsby lady was trying to set up an orphanage in order to spread the word of god, helping the children was really secondary. The quake just gave her a convenient excuse to go and grab some kids and grow her orphanage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35069039
OH LOOK, a faith based group doing some good. With out doing something blatantly illegal.
Whit11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit11b View Post
It's amazing how people go around with good intentions and cause problems. Instead of trying to grab kids and take them to some "rented beach hotel" in the Dominican Republic, why not take that money and setup a relief center in Haiti. Could have bought a lot of tents, cots, and what not. If you were well organized and knew what you were doing, it wouldn't have been that hard to get water and food supplies. Monday morning quaterback.

Then I read this -"One of their lawyers said they were being treated poorly: 'There is no air conditioning, no electricity. It is very disturbing,' Attorney Jorge Puello told the AP"

No A/C or electricity in a country that just got rocked by an earthquake? No wonder they wanted to take the kids out of country. Can't help people and sacrifice those luxuries now can we? I mean you about took a bunch of kids out of a country illegally, that should catch you a beating. The human trade is still alive in the world. Rightfully people get a little pissed about just trying to take a bunch of kids out of a country with no documentation. Do you know how common this is, and do you know who does it the most?

This little bit is good, too. "'They're treating me pretty good,' she said, adding that Haitian police didn't bring her group any food or water, but that U.S. officials have delivered water and MREs to eat." Really the Haitians have their hands full trying to help the people affected by the quake and now they have to deal with these morons. I'm sure feeding these "rescuers" is their top priority.

On the whole Baptist note, it's right that they identified the people as Baptist. After all it was a mission put on by the Southern Baptist Convention. Which, unless I'm wrong, makes them Baptist participating in a "rescue" backed by a Baptist organization.

Like I said earlier, I would like to see more detail on people that commit crimes, race, religious belief, political party, ect. I also like the idea of convicting some one without a trial. just a news article thats enough for me.
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #26
scramblerman72
Moonlight stomper
 
scramblerman72's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 5,936
iTrader: (20)
Send a message via AIM to scramblerman72 Send a message via MSN to scramblerman72 Send a message via Yahoo to scramblerman72
saying Baptists are bad is like saying Bikers are bad Not all of them are bad but it seems ther are quit a few Baptists nut jobs out there but they don't read there own bible much or they wouldn't act the way they do in some cases...like the ones that picketed solders graves I wanted to kill and I am Baptists or was...not I don't label my self as one I am just a Christian (with no denomination) but I believe the same things that I did when I went to my Normal Baptists church
scramblerman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #27
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I still don't understand how it's biased just because they mention that they are baptists. Why wouldn't they? That is their reason for being there, they are a baptist missionary group. That is the underlying "thing" that linked them together.

If they were from another non-profit organization, do you think they would just identify them as 10 random americans?
If it had no Religious Affiliation, Yes. I do. Why not just put "10 Missionaries......instead of 10 Baptists". The Affiliation really has nothing to do with what they were doing except the fact that they belonged to a Baptist church.

Had they started forcing the kids underwater in a Mass Baptizing Ceremony, then I might be ok with the Baptist label. You never see in the news "Athiest Kills wife and children". Ever. You see "East Lansing Man Kills Wife and Children". If he was a Christian it would say something along the lines of "Christian Man swears God told him to Kill his wife and Kids". But, That's just how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
What do you mean? That is why they were there, spreading the word of god.


and stealing kids
Spreading the word of God, yes. Stealing kids, Not really. My question is would you care if they had not crossed the Border? Chances are most of the parents willing gave their children to these missionaries to try and allow them a better life. LIke I said before, There probably wasn't a van with the word "candy" on the side of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Like I said earlier, I would like to see more detail on people that commit crimes, race, religious belief, political party, ect. I also like the idea of convicting some one without a trial. just a news article thats enough for me.
I like were you are going with this.


Personally I think that the people that came down right away shouldn't get the brunt of the punishment. It sounds to me like they were just being Sheeple and didn't think for them selves. They should get punished, but the leader lady should have to answer to most of it.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #28
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,978
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder xj View Post
So I take it you think it's ok to take kids out of their country without the right paperwork ? There was nothing wrong with doing it the right way christians or not.
No I do believe that they should and require the proper docomentation to go about what they did and they did not go about it properly even with good intentions to help.
This group of people from what I understand is that they have been in Hatii off and on helping the poor and people in need, and at this time they were trying to help the kids that do need help. They do need to go through the proper channels to get things done.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #29
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,978
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
What do you mean? That is why they were there, spreading the word of god.


and stealing kids
Who said they were stealing kids?
The children were given up freely by their parents to give them a better chance in life. The parents knew that the Christains were ther to help that is why they gave the kids to them.
But if you say the were stolen then I guess thats ok too. One more to say that Christians are out to rob, steal and destoy whatever they get their hands on right?
People like you with your outlook on Christianity is the reason why the world looks at us as the way they do.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #30
kj kyle
Devil Dolphin
 
kj kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-09
Location: NAS Boca Chica
Posts: 2,193
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
the part I find odd is how they think they could waltz in pick up 30 or so odd kids and then hit the border like its just a shopping trip? didn't they think they would need papers for each one? or did they have forged papers already prepared?
I heard they had a hand written note, from a local minister.


seriously.
kj kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #31
Blazin_wheeler
turtles like me
 
Blazin_wheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-09
Location: Milford IN 46542
Posts: 4,648
iTrader: (7)
Fuck Haiti lol
Blazin_wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #32
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,382
iTrader: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj kyle View Post
I heard they had a hand written note, from a local minister.


seriously.

Oh yeah thats just like a legal document
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #33
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,502
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
It's sad really, but I'm not sure what you mean. I have two theories. One, "Good stuff" is referring to the possibility that these people will be punished for their uncool actions.

The second theory is "good stuff" refers to you thinking that you agree with what they were doing.
The first.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #34
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,899
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Who said they were stealing kids?
The children were given up freely by their parents to give them a better chance in life. The parents knew that the Christains were ther to help that is why they gave the kids to them.
But if you say the were stolen then I guess thats ok too. One more to say that Christians are out to rob, steal and destoy whatever they get their hands on right?
People like you with your outlook on Christianity is the reason why the world looks at us as the way they do.
No the things the church has done in the past is why they look at christians the way they do.

If you look back at the over time the things people did in the name of god is why the world hates white people and thinks were all racists.
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #35
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Who said they were stealing kids?
The children were given up freely by their parents to give them a better chance in life. The parents knew that the Christains were ther to help that is why they gave the kids to them.
But if you say the were stolen then I guess thats ok too. One more to say that Christians are out to rob, steal and destoy whatever they get their hands on right?
People like you with your outlook on Christianity is the reason why the world looks at us as the way they do.
Do you understand what you're saying right now?

You're saying its ok for a group of people to give their children away to a random group of people.

While I don't even agree with you that what you said is true (I've never heard that before) how would you feel if families in the US gave their children away to families from another country? Do you think that's legal?

You're defending these child stealing lunatics because they were missionaries. You should probably learn when to cut rank and admit that these people were wrong.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #36
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,978
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Do you understand what you're saying right now?

You're saying its ok for a group of people to give their children away to a random group of people.

While I don't even agree with you that what you said is true (I've never heard that before) how would you feel if families in the US gave their children away to families from another country? Do you think that's legal?

You're defending these child stealing lunatics because they were missionaries. You should probably learn when to cut rank and admit that these people were wrong.
I did say that they were wrong in what they did in post 28. It may not be the right thing to do... give kids to total strangers, but giving them to people trying to help or selling them into the sex trade or slave labor. I would pick a Christian over the latter
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #37
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
I did say that they were wrong in what they did in post 28. It may not be the right thing to do... give kids to total strangers, but giving them to people trying to help or selling them into the sex trade or slave labor. I would pick a Christian over the latter
But there are no reports of people stealing haitians for sex trades, or slave labor, in fact the only reports are from baptist missionaries.

And where did you read this info about the families freely giving up these children? All the reports I've read state the children were saying they were stolen, and that they were not orphans and they had families.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #38
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,978
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
But there are no reports of people stealing haitians for sex trades, or slave labor, in fact the only reports are from baptist missionaries.

And where did you read this info about the families freely giving up these children? All the reports I've read state the children were saying they were stolen, and that they were not orphans and they had families.
At this time they are not reporting about kids being sold into salve labor or the sex trade but you know it happens and not just in haiti all around the world.
Now all the focus is on missionaries stealing kids or at least that is how the media is saying it. And everybody is taking the word of the media because what they say must be true, right?
There is another side to the story, the media has not found it to be news worthy.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #39
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 41,966
iTrader: (39)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
At this time they are not reporting about kids being sold into salve labor or the sex trade but you know it happens and not just in haiti all around the world.
Now all the focus is on missionaries stealing kids or at least that is how the media is saying it. And everybody is taking the word of the media because what they say must be true, right?
There is another side to the story, the media has not found it to be news worthy.
If there were any evidence of haitian kids being stolen for the sex trade, or the slave trade, believe me that would be the BEST THING EVER for the news syndicates.

Fortunately, that is just not happening.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #40
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,978
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
If there were any evidence of haitian kids being stolen for the sex trade, or the slave trade, believe me that would be the BEST THING EVER for the news syndicates.

Fortunately, that is just not happening.
So because YOU did not read it, it is not happening. What we think would be news worthy the news syndicates may not and it happens all the time.
Just look at how they portray our president as one that can do no wrong, but we know different.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.32155 seconds with 50 queries