Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Tool boxes

6K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  koochman450r 
#1 · (Edited)
Im looking at tool box combos for christmas.

one like this-

So what brand of tool box do you recommend?
What is your favorite?
I want recommendations, This will be just for the home garage, my price range is around $1300

thanks, :thumb:

See less See more
#14 ·
bought one almost exactly like the lower box at lowes 4 years ago and it works great..mine is black thought..however they have a stainless top and bottom set like the one in the pic for a decent price.......i love mine and only paied a fraction of the price that my neighbor has into his .....

#30 ·
If you're not going to drag it around a building, and are just looking for storage, the Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky, Cosco, Sams, and Harbor Freight ones are all adequate. IMO, the HF one is a good deal for all you get.

Whatever your decision, make certain that the drawers are all ball bearing design. And that they are latched somehow.

Here's what I've got in my garage:

Craftsman Project Center under Sam's workbench

Husky Lower, Craftsman Upper

I only move them when I need to retrieve something that slipped behind them.

#32 ·
Was just at Bloomfield Lowes yesterday. That Kobalt box with everything but the kitchen sink looked pretty good. I think one of my buddies who's a Ford tech has that same one, and last I heard he loved it. As to the Costco box, I've heard good things. Thought about looking into one of those as well. Ball bearings are a must. I bought a small used Craftsman w/o BB's and the 3rd / 4th drawers constantly run off their track. MAC makes some nice stuff if your looking in that price / brand range. All the tech's where I worked had MAC and Snap On. Nothing else.

You don't have or know anybody with any of the major tool brand student discounts do you? I can grab this 53" for $1,575.42 with my SO SEP discount:

#34 · (Edited)
I used to have this one for work and worked great. Gave it to my brother when i moved up north since i didnt need it and my big snap on box. Can get this one as low as 300 when on sale and coupon. Also make a ton of hang on's for it
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90320

Cousin has this box and loves it. Cant find the link for the bottom half but shows what it looks like. Think it is about 800
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94497

If i were to buy another box and was lookin to spend some money id get this one. This is huge for the price, bigger then my snap-on box and 5K less
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=67428

#36 ·
I have one of the Costco boxes like in the first post, but in black. Used it at work for over 10 years now with no issues, survived the move to new shop fine. With tools, it was heavy enough to squat a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup down almost to the bumpstops.

Co-worker has the big Snap-on box, the ball bearing drawers slide so easy he has to keep it locked. One time he forgot and when the train went by the drawers started opening up, almost tipped it over!

#38 ·
For the money you have to spend you could find a nice pre owned KRL series Snap-On bottom box. You could pic up a nice KRL 1001 for about what you have to spend if you do some lookin. That is how I got mine, the quality is way above the other boxes out there. The drawers have individual latches to keep the drawers shut. There are 2 different depths 24 inch and 30 inch.
Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.