navy rant. =update= - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
kj kyle
Senior Member
 
kj kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-09
Location: SWMI
Posts: 2,200
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default navy rant. =update=

Well about a month ago I decided it was time to enlist in the Navy. I told the recruiter I wanted air traffic control, and he said its not possible, The only jobs the navy is offering are Nuke and SEAL. I started studying, took the ASVAB and scored a 92. He told me that was an auto qualifier for the nuke program which I was pretty excited about. I went to MEPS, and spent 2 days their going through medical, and testing, which I passed without any issues. Now it was time to go talk to the job classifier and put my contract together. Well apparently a 92 wasn't good enough, because they told me first I need to take a nuclear advanced placement test. Its a 2 hour test based on physics, calculus, trigonometry, and chemistry. I sat in my little room and took this test, and passed it in a little under an hour, Then they told me I can't go any further until the nuke dpt has seen my scores, so I went home. Now, two weeks later.. I just talked to my recruiter, and he said He wont be able to put me through for at least another month because they have put too many nukes through all ready.


WTF. it seems like the Navy is looking for any reason they can to not take me.

Last edited by kj kyle; December 26th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
kj kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2
mideerslayer
NEVER GIVE UP!
 
mideerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-27-06
Location: Clinton Township
Posts: 3,850
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have know a few people to go thru the nuke program and it is very intense to get into it. IIRC they only take so many people a year.


If you passed the test, i am sure they will be in contact
mideerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3
JeepInABox
Jeep yard art collector.
 
JeepInABox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-07
Location: Fenton
Posts: 2,340
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Sorry you did not get the nuke but they always need someone to peel potatoes, clean the head or swab the deck.
JeepInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

Like someone said above, wait for it if it is what you really want.

On a positive Navy beat Notre Dame again.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
ppkaprince98
Size Matters (.)(.)
 
ppkaprince98's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-08
Location: Hudsonville, Mi
Posts: 3,639
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
On a positive Navy beat Notre Dame again.
Awesome. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
ppkaprince98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #6
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,657
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInABox View Post
Sorry you did not get the nuke but they always need someone to peel potatoes, clean the head or swab the deck.
Everyone I met says they were a SEAL, I didn't think they had cooks.

Take your scores to the Air Force.



on edit: thanx for volunteering, you won't regret it.

Last edited by XXXJ; November 11th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #7
tail-dragger
Scramblin Man
 
tail-dragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Location: Racine, Wi
Posts: 9
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

going in as a nuke now is different than when I went in. There are only so many spots in the classes and they plan on you going in to start those classes at a certian time. When I went in there was a 5 month delay between when I finished boot camp and A school before the nuke schools started which is wasted time for the navy so they time you starting now so there is no gap between the schools.
tail-dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #8
kj kyle
Senior Member
 
kj kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-09
Location: SWMI
Posts: 2,200
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

well I was signing up for the delayed entry program, for that reason.
kj kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #9
rockrat
Senior Member
 
rockrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-15-06
Location: Lake City, MI
Posts: 1,901
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tail-dragger View Post
going in as a nuke now is different than when I went in. There are only so many spots in the classes and they plan on you going in to start those classes at a certian time. When I went in there was a 5 month delay between when I finished boot camp and A school before the nuke schools started which is wasted time for the navy so they time you starting now so there is no gap between the schools.
also, have a second choice in mind. The nuke program is intense, 3 friends of mine tried and didn't last for 1 reason or another, another made it and is now a boiler operator for a power plant. If it's meant to be, you'll get it, the navy takes that program very seriously.
As for your recruiter, remember they're "car salesmen", feed you anything to get you to sign, they're trained to do so. I spent 9 years active navy as a jet mechanic, have a job before you leave MEPS, otherwise it's galley or painter for 4 years. Good luck.
rockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #10
kj kyle
Senior Member
 
kj kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-09
Location: SWMI
Posts: 2,200
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

well the only way I am going to leave meps this time is as a nuke or civilian. (unless they offered ATC which was my original choice.)

I understand school is tough, and failure their = culinary specialist for the remainder of my enlistment... but I know I have the brain to make it through, maybe that is just motivation to work harder.
kj kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #11
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Did you check to see if the Air Farce is looking for air traffic controllers? I think they may have a few airplanes.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #12
f250mrozi
Senior Member
 
f250mrozi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-29-09
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 566
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Just had a buddy of mine go through as a nuke guy, its crazy he was Belushi from animal house in real life.
f250mrozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #13
Marine_mike
SNSHTF
 
Marine_mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-08
Location: Mount Clemens/MI
Posts: 1,946
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

1st rule of the military..... Hurry Up and Wait!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I like you Mike.
Marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #14
f250mrozi
Senior Member
 
f250mrozi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-29-09
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 566
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_mike View Post
1st rule of the military..... Hurry Up and Wait!
x1000000000000
f250mrozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #15
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_mike View Post
1st rule of the military..... Hurry Up and Wait!
And if they had wanted you to have a spouse, they would have issued you one.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #16
kj kyle
Senior Member
 
kj kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-09
Location: SWMI
Posts: 2,200
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_mike View Post
1st rule of the military..... Hurry Up and Wait!
yea, I got to experience that at meps.
kj kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #17
cglenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Location: .
Posts: 5,719
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj kyle View Post
Well about a month ago I decided it was time to enlist in the Navy. I told the recruiter I wanted air traffic control, and he said its not possible, The only jobs the navy is offering are Nuke and SEAL. I started studying, took the ASVAB and scored a 92. He told me that was an auto qualifier for the nuke program which I was pretty excited about. I went to MEPS, and spent 2 days their going through medical, and testing, which I passed without any issues. Now it was time to go talk to the job classifier and put my contract together. Well apparently a 92 wasn't good enough, because they told me first I need to take a nuclear advanced placement test. Its a 2 hour test based on physics, calculus, trigonometry, and chemistry. I sat in my little room and took this test, and passed it in a little under an hour, Then they told me I can't go any further until the nuke dpt has seen my scores, so I went home. Now, two weeks later.. I just talked to my recruiter, and he said He wont be able to put me through for at least another month because they have put too many nukes through all ready.


WTF. it seems like the Navy is looking for any reason they can to not take me.
From what I've been hearing, the Navy is eager to get people out because so many people want to enlist. I'm not sure if this is the case in your area, but a friend of mine down here in San Diego is getting out early, like a few months to a year early. She said it is because so many people want in.
I'm not sure if this at all pertains to your position but I'd assume it might have some influence.
cglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #18
kj kyle
Senior Member
 
kj kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-09
Location: SWMI
Posts: 2,200
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

thats pretty much it. my recruiter said last year when he re enlisted, they offered him a re-enlistment bonus. this year one of his buddies in the same rate re-enlisted, and instead of a bonus they reviewed his enlistment to see if their was any reason to kick him out.
kj kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #19
thormxboy420
FOUNDRY RATT
 
thormxboy420's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-02-07
Location: Ludington, MI
Posts: 545
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to thormxboy420
Default

try the seebee's they are probaly gonna take people
thormxboy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #20
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,104
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Did you check to see if the Air Farce is looking for air traffic controllers? I think they may have a few airplanes.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.35455 seconds with 81 queries