Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,286
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default USB sharing devices

You know those things that allow you to share a device between 2 computers.
usually meant for printers, scanners etc.


Well I need one for another reason and was wondering if anyone has dealt with one that would allow you to 100% see the device on 2 machines at the same time.


One of the programs i use all the time requires the use of a security dongle, i want to be able to run the program on both machines at the same time, but if they dont see the dongle they terminate :)

Anyone try anything like this? or should i just try my self and when it doesn't work send CC a bill for pain and suffering?
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals View Post
You know those things that allow you to share a device between 2 computers.
usually meant for printers, scanners etc.


Well I need one for another reason and was wondering if anyone has dealt with one that would allow you to 100% see the device on 2 machines at the same time.


One of the programs i use all the time requires the use of a security dongle, i want to be able to run the program on both machines at the same time, but if they dont see the dongle they terminate :)

Anyone try anything like this? or should i just try my self and when it doesn't work send CC a bill for pain and suffering?
I usually hold CC accountable for any misinformation I get from this site.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Cartman
Can't lose with 42s
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-17-06
Location: Williamsburg, MI
Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

pissing off IT admins since 2001 with mine..works badass

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/review/pc-linq.asp

place you can buy:
http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...37;2C106%2C141

reseller review on company seling them:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/USB_Gear

Last edited by Cartman; October 15th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #4
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,286
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
pissing off IT admins since 2001 with mine..works badass

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/review/pc-linq.asp

place you can buy:
http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...37;2C106%2C141

reseller review on company seling them:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/USB_Gear



Hi!

Next time you reply to a post, please make sure you actually read it before responding.

K

thanx

bye

Last edited by Sandals; October 16th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #5
Disturban
Senior Member
 
Disturban's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-27-08
Location: Lowell, MI
Posts: 2,794
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

What program/device are you trying to share? Reason I am asking is if it just a printer and you have a wireless network setup you can just activate print share. I have not tried but I am sure you could share other devices as well and save CC a few dollars
Disturban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #6
AFRd_CJ5
Senior Member
 
AFRd_CJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-26-07
Location: Carson City
Posts: 690
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Yes, but the ones that I have seen are not free. But....the cost of the software could easily be much much cheaper than that dongle would cost should you wanna be legit :-)

http://share-usb-dongle.qarchive.org/

I haven't personally used any of these, but the one below I do know somebody that used it with no problems.

http://www.usb-over-network.com/usb-over-network.html
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #7
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,944
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I hate hardware keys. We were usually able to get around them a developer license install, but yes, sadly we sometimes had to pony up, set up a license manager on a central server.

Wish I could help, but I don't have any experience with this level of sophisticated piracy
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #8
yellowjeeperman
The N3rd
 
yellowjeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Location: Birch Run/Clarkston, Mi
Posts: 5,871
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

It doesn't seem like they can access it simultaneously. All the devices I've come across need to be manually switched. How do the security dongles work? do they check for it at random intervals or does it always check to see if it's there?
yellowjeeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #9
yellowjeeperman
The N3rd
 
yellowjeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Location: Birch Run/Clarkston, Mi
Posts: 5,871
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRd_CJ5 View Post
Yes, but the ones that I have seen are not free. But....the cost of the software could easily be much much cheaper than that dongle would cost should you wanna be legit :-)

http://share-usb-dongle.qarchive.org/

I haven't personally used any of these, but the one below I do know somebody that used it with no problems.

http://www.usb-over-network.com/usb-over-network.html
That won't help him. USB to Ethernet Сonnector does not allow multiple computers to access the same shared USB device simultaneously.
yellowjeeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #10
deathdealer
Senior Member
 
deathdealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 1,637
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

We use them for some really expensive scanners at work. It isnt in use by both computers simultaneously though, you press a button on the box and it switches it from one computer to the next.
deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #11
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,944
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdealer View Post
We use them for some really expensive scanners at work. It isnt in use by both computers simultaneously though, you press a button on the box and it switches it from one computer to the next.
most of what I have seen on the "non-scary" sites do something similar, either through hardware switches, or via virtualization.

e.g.: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/fe...70121193602985


http://www.woodmann.com/crackz/Dongles.htm is sort of the history of hardware keys, and those that dabble in emulating/reverse engineering them.

Down near the bottom there are some links that may prove promising, but overall the site looks fairly dated.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #12
yellowjeeperman
The N3rd
 
yellowjeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Location: Birch Run/Clarkston, Mi
Posts: 5,871
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
http://www.woodmann.com/crackz/Dongles.htm is sort of the history of hardware keys, and those that dabble in emulating/reverse engineering them.

Down near the bottom there are some links that may prove promising, but overall the site looks fairly dated.
The parallel port ones are fairly easy to do. Can get most of the parts you need at radioshack or similar places. I've never tried a USB one before. I would imagine it is proprietary hardware for the most part.
yellowjeeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #13
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,286
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Yeah, if they key is removed the program terminates within 10 seconds.

I would buy another, but the initial software license is $5,000 and then i pay a yearly subscription of $1200. Not something I want to pay twice LOL

I tried one of the network crack ones a while ago with no success
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.16037 seconds with 36 queries