Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #1
xlinkinpark2438x
03 Rubicon
 
xlinkinpark2438x's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-06
Location: Taylor
Posts: 355
iTrader: (1)
92 Explorer running problems

I have a 92 explorer and today drove it from taylor to newport about 30 min drive and a couple of hours later i filled up on gas and came back to taylor and it ran fine and about an hour after i got back i went out to go somewhere nd my truck sounds like it hs a miss and is running rough. soo i took it around the block thinking that it just got carbon build up or something nd would just clear up but that did not help at all. i opend the hood and notice that there was gas on the connection from the manifold to the rest of the exhaust (not a perfect connection there) and figured a miss soo i checked all of my plug wires and they are all good. and the plugs were petty black soo i bought all new and that did no difference. soo i tried to narrow doun the problem and ran the engine on just the three cylinders on the passenger side and then on the driver side and noticed that the driver side 3 cylinders ran worse soo i had just those three connected and disconnected them one by one and found that the front cylinder on the driver side is not making any difference when i unplug it and plug it back in. and i am getting spark to the spark plug. and i am getting gas i know because i am getting gas leaking out at the manifold. i was woundering what anybodys thoughts are. and just for the record the truck has 290,000 miles and has been running exelcent for a while now i have driven it from 7oclock in the morning till about midnight doing escorting for manufactured homes a couple of times this year and ran exelcent. and now been using it to drive to and from work which is about 30 minutes away. i was planning on using it to tow my jeep to silver lake sand dunes leaving friday morning soo any help would be great.


thanks

Last edited by xlinkinpark2438x; October 5th, 2006 at 03:50 AM.
xlinkinpark2438x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,382
iTrader: (10)
given the long run you gave it I would suspect the egr valve is stuck open, pull it off and clean out the valves seat and reinstall, it should cure the bad idle. the fuel leak should be delt with or you could burn up the truck.
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #3
xlinkinpark2438x
03 Rubicon
 
xlinkinpark2438x's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-06
Location: Taylor
Posts: 355
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
given the long run you gave it I would suspect the egr valve is stuck open, pull it off and clean out the valves seat and reinstall, it should cure the bad idle. the fuel leak should be delt with or you could burn up the truck.
the only problem with that one is that there is no egr on this truck and the gas is coming from one or all of the cylinders from flooding itself.
xlinkinpark2438x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #4
offroad86b2
Senior Member
 
offroad86b2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-05
Location: Mount Clemens,MI.
Posts: 243
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to offroad86b2
a friend of mine bought a 96 and it ran rough like it was missing,he replaced all the sencers and it still did it...then he rebuilt the engine and still the same missing...it ended up being the computer,something was shorting out in it.So i dont know the diffrents in computers between a 92 and 96 but thats what was wrong with his...Good luck
offroad86b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #5
xlinkinpark2438x
03 Rubicon
 
xlinkinpark2438x's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-06
Location: Taylor
Posts: 355
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad86b2
a friend of mine bought a 96 and it ran rough like it was missing,he replaced all the sencers and it still did it...then he rebuilt the engine and still the same missing...it ended up being the computer,something was shorting out in it.So i dont know the diffrents in computers between a 92 and 96 but thats what was wrong with his...Good luck

yeah ill try the computer from my other explorer and see if that helps. hopefully it does because if not i am driving the jeep there Thanks
xlinkinpark2438x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #6
biggs-cj
Senior Member
 
biggs-cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: perry,mi
Posts: 733
iTrader: (0)
i had that problem twice .first time was a bad fuel regulater.....second was the fuel pump & ignition relay switches
biggs-cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,609
iTrader: (12)
If it had an egr, and was stuck upen, it would effect ALL cylinders, not just one. And it would run fine under power. He says the miss is still there.

BUT

You guys are missing what he said.

Basicly he did a cylinder balance test. Pull a plug wire one at a time and see if the rpm drop. All cylinders should drop about the same. He found one cylinder that does not drop any rpm so that means that that cylinder is not firing for some reason. This cylinder is his problem.

He replaced the plugs, so not that. He says he has spark there, so not the wire.

What do you need to make an engine run?

Fuel
Air
Compression
Spark

What is he missing?

He says he has fuel, air, and spark.....

I would do a compression test on the cylinder. The fluid he is seeing on the exhaust doughnut area could be coolant. There is no way it could be running and have raw fuel coming out of the cylinder, going down the inside of the maifold and leaking out the exhaust connector. It would either catch fire inside the exhaust from the other cylinders blowing fire out the ports or it would evaporate from the heat before it got to the exhaust connector.

I call head gasket...explorers are good for those.
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #8
xlinkinpark2438x
03 Rubicon
 
xlinkinpark2438x's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-06
Location: Taylor
Posts: 355
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws
If it had an egr, and was stuck upen, it would effect ALL cylinders, not just one. And it would run fine under power. He says the miss is still there.

BUT

You guys are missing what he said.

Basicly he did a cylinder balance test. Pull a plug wire one at a time and see if the rpm drop. All cylinders should drop about the same. He found one cylinder that does not drop any rpm so that means that that cylinder is not firing for some reason. This cylinder is his problem.

He replaced the plugs, so not that. He says he has spark there, so not the wire.

What do you need to make an engine run?

Fuel
Air
Compression
Spark

What is he missing?

He says he has fuel, air, and spark.....

I would do a compression test on the cylinder. The fluid he is seeing on the exhaust doughnut area could be coolant. There is no way it could be running and have raw fuel coming out of the cylinder, going down the inside of the maifold and leaking out the exhaust connector. It would either catch fire inside the exhaust from the other cylinders blowing fire out the ports or it would evaporate from the heat before it got to the exhaust connector.

I call head gasket...explorers are good for those.



actually when i was checking if the spark plugs were getting spark it caught on fire at the exhaust doughnut area soo i would imagine that it was gas. and like you said i dont see how it got there it should of burnt up or evaroprated. and i just got back from silver lake and i am going to do an compression check on it when i get the time and when i feel like messing with it for now i got my jeep to drive. but thanks for the advice hopefully i will get it going
xlinkinpark2438x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #9
xlinkinpark2438x
03 Rubicon
 
xlinkinpark2438x's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-06
Location: Taylor
Posts: 355
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlinkinpark2438x
actually when i was checking if the spark plugs were getting spark it caught on fire at the exhaust doughnut area soo i would imagine that it was gas. and like you said i dont see how it got there it should of burnt up or evaroprated. and i just got back from silver lake and i am going to do an compression check on it when i get the time and when i feel like messing with it for now i got my jeep to drive. but thanks for the advice hopefully i will get it going



i just went out there to check it out again and there is also oil at the exhaust manifold connection to the rest of the exhaust and i smell gas in the oil and looked in my radiator and i dont see any antifreeze. i do not think that it overheated because i usually watch all of my guages to make shure they dont go over the half way mark. (but maybe i didnt notice it) so i am not forshure that that it didnt overheat i also see some oil on that side of the block looked to be coming from the head gasket.


i was woundering on your thoughts on if it could be a bad head gasket, or bad piston rings or both thanks


xlinkinpark2438x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Buggy_Tim
(513) 891-8372
 
Buggy_Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sault Sainte Marie
Posts: 11,609
iTrader: (12)
The more you type, the more I think head gasket.
Buggy_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #11
xlinkinpark2438x
03 Rubicon
 
xlinkinpark2438x's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-06
Location: Taylor
Posts: 355
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws
The more you type, the more I think head gasket.

thats what i am going to hope it is but its just going to sit for a lil while until i feel like messing with it and if i find out more bad news i might just sell it and use my jeep as a daily driver wntil i get enough money to buy a newer truck.
but thanks
xlinkinpark2438x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #12
biggs-cj
Senior Member
 
biggs-cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: perry,mi
Posts: 733
iTrader: (0)
there good for melting the first piston on the drivers side also
biggs-cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #13
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
fuel injector on "faulty" cylinder stuck open.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #14
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,382
iTrader: (52)
Yup, thats what I thought here:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=15262
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,266
iTrader: (36)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
I would do a lot of things before I did the headgaskets....

#1- Go to Autozone and see if any codes are set
#2- compression test
#3- swap fuel injectors from one cylinder to another, see if the problem follows the trade
#4- buy new spark plug wires
#5- pay a cheap shop to run a coolant compression/leak test
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.18234 seconds with 40 queries