Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

18" barrel, 26" overall

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Blackjackbender 
#1 · (Edited)
Is teh legal lengths for a shotgun in Michigan? Is it legal to modify it yourself?

I have an old model 10 Remington Id like to butcher up for an under-the-pillow-for-the-tooth-fairy type.

***corrected, model 10, not 12***

#4 ·
I agree on the extra 1/2"

If you just keep it at home for security purposes, and it saves you or your family... I wouldn't care what the law says. Deal with the repercussions while your still alive.
Well I might like to transport it at some time or another either to take it to a new residence or to my place in the thumb to check the pattern, etc.

#7 ·
Yeah, even most aftermarket barrels are minimum 18.5"...I build custom 10/22's, and even the high dollar carbon fiber barrels are 18.5" just to avoid hassle from the BATF.

Really? Is knocking another few ounces and a few inches off of a barrel really worth the hassle? An 18" barrel is plenty short to get a nice wide spread from a buckshot or a bird shot in a home defense situation, so why take the risk of having an illegal weapon in your home? Have you ever looked at the fines and jail time for owning an illegal/unregistered SBR or SBSG in this case? Definitely not worth it, and honestly...that was some very stupid advice to give to anybody.

#6 ·
Is teh legal lengths for a shotgun in Michigan? Is it legal to modify it yourself?

I have an old model 12 Remington Id like to butcher up for an under-the-pillow-for-the-tooth-fairy type.
yes you can modify it yourself. leave an extra 1/2 inch or 1 inch on the length of the barrel.

its a federal law 18 inch barrel on shotguns, 26 inches overall length.

do not fuck with the batfe. keep your weapon legal. if, gos forbid you do have to use it to defend yourself and it turns out your gun is to short and thus illegal, the judge and jury will nail your ass to the wall.

club fed is not a nice vacation place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.