GM and government "choices" i've noticed. - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #41
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
How can I get you to fill my tank??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
I'm working on a system of adjustable shims or collars; last time I tried to fill your tank, the nozzle kept falling out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I know, I'm sorry. I feel like such a blown out whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
But you're MY blown out whore, Sweetheart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
All better now.


You 2 really need to get a room


Or maybe a machanics bay with a lift. That way it would be esier to adjust heights, easier than shims and collars.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #42
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,833
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
You 2 really need to get a room


Or maybe a machanics bay with a lift. That way it would be esier to adjust heights, easier than shims and collars.
Now your talkin!!
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #43
BRUSER
Senior Member
 
BRUSER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: WestSide Michigan
Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Yes, that is a good question. I think it depends on many factors. Thats why I said "in theory".

Another question is how many people getting home from work and plugging in their car to recharge around the same time can the power grid handle?
The issue is weather gas fired cars polute more that coal fired powerplants (elect), steel mills (more high trension towers to handle the increased electrical needs) Mining operations ( got to mine more metal to make batterys), etc....

I think not
BRUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #44
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,845
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've put some miles on a prototype plug-in Ford Escape.

Works well at low subdivision speeds and stop-and-go traffic. Super quiet too - tire noise becomes the issue. During braking the tranny loads a flywheel to convert "wasted" kinetic energy into battery charge.

Main challenge is range (25 real-world commuting miles took batteries down to 85%) and dealing with heat and A/C. Heat and A/C both run the gas engine regardless of speed in the Escape. Otherwise, it's pretty nice to drive. Peppy in electric mode up to about 25-30 mph.

Oh, yes. Build more nukes.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #45
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,584
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSER View Post
The issue is weather gas fired cars polute more that coal fired powerplants (elect), steel mills (more high trension towers to handle the increased electrical needs) Mining operations ( got to mine more metal to make batterys), etc....

I think not
Yes, all that stuff need to be considered.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #46
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSER View Post
The issue is weather gas fired cars polute more that coal fired powerplants (elect), steel mills (more high trension towers to handle the increased electrical needs) Mining operations ( got to mine more metal to make batterys), etc....

I think not
Depends on where Obama leads us with his DOE appointment (which I think was a good pick).

Biggest problem is, we have lots of coal in the U.S. and many plants that already burn it. Cars being recharged by those plants will definitely use power that generates far more pollutants than a modern automobile on gasoline (or diesel) alone.

I'm with Duffy; more nukes, now.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #47
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,130
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Depends on where Obama leads us with his DOE appointment (which I think was a good pick).

Biggest problem is, we have lots of coal in the U.S. and many plants that already burn it. Cars being recharged by those plants will definitely use power that generates far more pollutants than a modern automobile on gasoline (or diesel) alone.

I'm with Duffy; more nukes, now.

Nukes

Good

Steven Chu (DOE Pick) is pro cap & trade and supports a one world government.

Bad.
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #48
JeepInABox
Jeep yard art collector.
 
JeepInABox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-07
Location: Fenton
Posts: 2,352
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So, $0.10 a kwh just turned to $1.00 a kwh drive your car.

What happens to Grandma who is living on a fixed budget?
She can reduce her trips to the store and church to save gas money.

Increase her electric bill 10x’s and she can no longer afford to turn on the electric heat to keep from freezing to death.

This is what will happen if we turn a convenience energy (gasoline is not life or death) into a survival energy.
JeepInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #49
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInABox View Post
So, $0.10 a kwh just turned to $1.00 a kwh drive your car.

What happens to Grandma who is living on a fixed budget?
She can reduce her trips to the store and church to save gas money.

Increase her electric bill 10xs and she can no longer afford to turn on the electric heat to keep from freezing to death.

This is what will happen if we turn a convenience energy (gasoline is not life or death) into a survival energy.


Don't worry, Grandma won't be around much longer anyway. Didn't you hear that death panels are coming?
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #50
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Don't worry, Grandma won't be around much longer anyway. Didn't you hear that death panels are coming?
You're going to get fucking old too. At least think about it. Whether they get it right or not, (government's never run anything even close to right) do you want what used to be your personal choices on your health care to be decided for you by obama's communist czars?
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #51
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,584
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInABox View Post
So, $0.10 a kwh just turned to $1.00 a kwh drive your car.

What happens to Grandma who is living on a fixed budget?
She can reduce her trips to the store and church to save gas money.

Increase her electric bill 10xs and she can no longer afford to turn on the electric heat to keep from freezing to death.

This is what will happen if we turn a convenience energy (gasoline is not life or death) into a survival energy.
The hope will be that this change over will happen gradually over several decades and the utilities will add capacity to keep up with demand thus avoiding a big runup in price.

I know, maybe a bit of wishful thinking, but thats how it's supposed to work.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #52
JeepInABox
Jeep yard art collector.
 
JeepInABox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-07
Location: Fenton
Posts: 2,352
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

But, the government wants alternatives to gas last week.

Do you know what one of the common uses of gasoline was before automobiles?























It was a cheap cleaning supply. They used it on everything including cleaning the walls of their houses.
I know it is not the same as todays gas but, it would be like saying we could run cars off bleach.
JeepInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #53
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,584
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInABox View Post
But, the government wants alternatives to gas last week.

Do you know what one of the common uses of gasoline was before automobiles?























It was a cheap cleaning supply. They used it on everything including cleaning the walls of their houses.
I know it is not the same as todays gas but, it would be like saying we could run cars off bleach.
The govenment came want all it wants. The technology isn't there yet.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #54
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
Nukes

Good

Steven Chu (DOE Pick) is pro cap & trade and supports a one world government.

Bad.
Last time I checked, he was in charge of our energy policy and not our government.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #55
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,130
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Last time I checked, he was in charge of our energy policy and not our government.
Isn't the DOE part of the government? Do you want our energy policy dictated to us by the UN?
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #56
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,457
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I vote more nuke plants too. Europe has been using them for years without issue. The amount of waste produced per KWH is many times smaller than with conventional power generation.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #57
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
Isn't the DOE part of the government? Do you want our energy policy dictated to us by the UN?
ZOMG! Greenpeace, WTF? LOL!

UN? Fack, France has more nuke plants than ne1, and the UN likes those cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Wat the problem is again?
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #58
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,130
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
ZOMG! Greenpeace, WTF? LOL!

UN? Fack, France has more nuke plants than ne1, and the UN likes those cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Wat the problem is again?
What?

The problem is that the DOE head is pro cap & trade and supports the idea of a one world government.

It has nothing to do with nukes. It has everything to do with who is making choices for you and what choices they are making. Mostly it has to do with them being able to make choices for you in the first place.

I'll say it again....

Nukes = Good

Chu = Bad
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #59
Stan
I got a gold chain
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Shelby Twp.
Posts: 15,833
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
What?

The problem is that the DOE head is pro cap & trade and supports the idea of a one world government.

It has nothing to do with nukes. It has everything to do with who is making choices for you and what choices they are making. Mostly it has to do with them being able to make choices for you in the first place.

I'll say it again....

Nukes = Good

Chu = Bad
Maybe later I will start a thread of "All the presidents men" to point out these issues.
I just never feel like putting that much effort into my posts here.
I'm heading to Summerset to buy school clothes for the kids right now.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #60
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
What?

The problem is that the DOE head is pro cap & trade and supports the idea of a one world government.

It has nothing to do with nukes. It has everything to do with who is making choices for you and what choices they are making. Mostly it has to do with them being able to make choices for you in the first place.

I'll say it again....

Nukes = Good

Chu = Bad
And I'll say it again; Chu does not control our Government. The UN comment was directed toward what might end up being the seat of such a government you fear.

It has everything to do with stupid idiots that allowed Barack Obama to be voted into office. Look at all the choices he's trying to make for me and seem to be fine with everybody else: bailouts, public healthcare, "spreading the wealth", ad nauseum.

You worrying about Chu and one-world government is like crying there might be a wolf in the henhouse, when Obama has single-handedly tore down the fence, euthanized the sheepdog and made the entry doors larger, all the while bringing in poor, disparaged wolves to the countryside because they were unlucky in the lottery of life and need everyone's help (and unprotected henhouses).

I've done what I can; I can only cast my vote and write letters to corrupt politicians.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.44751 seconds with 80 queries