Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #1
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default Palin and "Death Panels" - Hypocritical

Interesting tidbit I found.

She is so against End of life counseling, yet, just over a year ago she endorsed the very same provisions. In fact, in this press release she even points out the Alaska Statute 13.52 (Health Care Decisions Act) that covers it.

I am sorry but she is a Hypocrite.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a


WHEREAS, Healthcare Decisions Day is designed to raise public awareness of the need to plan ahead for healthcare decisions, related to end of life care and medical decision-making whenever patients are unable to speak for themselves and to encourage the specific use of advance directives to communicate these important healthcare decisions. WHEREAS, in Alaska, Alaska Statute 13.52 provides the specifics of the advance directives law and offers a model form for patient use.

WHEREAS, it is estimated that only about 20 percent of people in Alaska have executed an advance directive. Moreover, it is estimated that less than 50 percent of severely or terminally ill patients have an advance directive.

WHEREAS, it is likely that a significant reason for these low percentages is that there is both a lack of knowledge and considerable confusion in the public about Advance Directives.

WHEREAS, one of the principal goals of Healthcare Decisions Day is to encourage hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, and hospices to participate in a statewide effort to provide clear and consistent information to the public about advance directives, as well as to encourage medical professionals and lawyers to volunteer their time and efforts to improve public knowledge and increase the number of Alaska’s citizens with advance directives.

WHEREAS, the Foundation for End of Life Care in Juneau, Alaska, and other organizations throughout the United States have endorsed this event and are committed to educating the public about the importance of discussing healthcare choices and executing advance directives.

WHEREAS, as a result of April 16, 2008, being recognized as Healthcare Decisions Day in Alaska, more citizens will have conversations about their healthcare decisions; more citizens will execute advance directives to make their wishes known; and fewer families and healthcare providers will have to struggle with making difficult healthcare decisions in the absence of guidance from the patient.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Sarah Palin, Governor of the state of Alaska, do hereby proclaim April 16, 2008, as:

Healthcare Decisions Day in Alaska, and I call this observance to the attention of all our citizens.

Dated: April 16, 2008
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,078
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

It has a totally different meaning coming from a democrat as coming from a repulican. You see if it comes from a democrat you know that there is a hidden agenda that you are not being told about.
Just what I have noticed from the obama administration
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,758
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
It has a totally different meaning coming from a democrat as coming from a repulican. You see if it comes from a democrat you know that there is a hidden agenda that you are not being told about.
Just what I have noticed from the obama administration
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Palin for president 2012
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,379
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
It has a totally different meaning coming from a democrat as coming from a repulican. You see if it comes from a democrat you know that there is a hidden agenda that you are not being told about.
Just what I have noticed from the obama administration
After reading that statement I have decided that any further discussion with you is a complete pointless waste of time.

I hope you're joking, but I don't think you are.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #6
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
After reading that statement I have decided that any further discussion with you is a complete pointless waste of time.

I hope you're joking, but I don't think you are.


I don't think he is joking.

Talk about blind and brain washed
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #7
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,379
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Talk about blind and brain washed
Exactly. His seems to have been scrubed clean of any independent thought.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #8
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,565
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Wow Pete, your losing it. You've left view is affecting you mind.
The difference between Palins public education progam with guidance and a government mandate carried out by beauracrats.
I don't need the government to tell me how to die.
When the money runs out, suck on a gun barrel and pull the trigger.
__________________
If I didn't think with my penis, I wouldn't think at all

I hope I am not a racist, I mean I drive fast, But I am not specialized at it.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #9
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
Wow Pete, your losing it. You've left view is affecting you mind.
The difference between Palins public education progam with guidance and a government mandate carried out by beauracrats.
I don't need the government to tell me how to die.
When the money runs out, suck on a gun barrel and pull the trigger.

How do you figure that?

The House plan says that this type of voluntary counseling will be paid under medicare. The only mandate is that is be made available in the program, no mandate for people to get the counseling.

But you may never see that.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #10
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
How do you figure that?

The House plan says that this type of voluntary counseling will be paid under medicare. The only mandate is that is be made available in the program, no mandate for people to get the counseling.

But you may never see that.


Remember, Obama was determined to sign a bill before the august recess, in fact, any bill. You can say this detail or that detail isn't in one version of a bill or another, but don't you think obama will leave it up to his radical czars to decide what really goes down? Obamas "plan" isn't even his plan. He's not writing any bills, or even pretending to be involved in writing any bills. He's nothing but a puppet, and a bad one at that. I am loving seeing his presidency collapse
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #11
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,565
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
How do you figure that?

The House plan says that this type of voluntary counseling will be paid under medicare. The only mandate is that is be made available in the program, no mandate for people to get the counseling.

But you may never see that.
You are a true believer. You only read what you want and interpet it with rose glasses. But you are articulate. You think Palin is irrevelant, but then start a thread critisizing her views and positions. She neither hold office or is a candidate for office. Her opinion counts the same as you or I.
But she's right.

I remember reading congress, POTUS and unions will be exempt from the bill. Let's get them on board first.

You still think this is about healthcare. It's a powerplay.
The sleeping giant has awoken and the emperor has no clothes.
__________________
If I didn't think with my penis, I wouldn't think at all

I hope I am not a racist, I mean I drive fast, But I am not specialized at it.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #12
jeepinRRT
Senior Member
 
jeepinRRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-13-08
Location: Grand Rapids,MI
Posts: 3,627
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Interesting tidbit I found.

She is so against End of life counseling, yet, just over a year ago she endorsed the very same provisions. In fact, in this press release she even points out the Alaska Statute 13.52 (Health Care Decisions Act) that covers it.

I am sorry but she is a Hypocrite.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a


WHEREAS, Healthcare Decisions Day is designed to raise public awareness of the need to plan ahead for healthcare decisions, related to end of life care and medical decision-making whenever patients are unable to speak for themselves and to encourage the specific use of advance directives to communicate these important healthcare decisions. WHEREAS, in Alaska, Alaska Statute 13.52 provides the specifics of the advance directives law and offers a model form for patient use.

WHEREAS, it is estimated that only about 20 percent of people in Alaska have executed an advance directive. Moreover, it is estimated that less than 50 percent of severely or terminally ill patients have an advance directive.

WHEREAS, it is likely that a significant reason for these low percentages is that there is both a lack of knowledge and considerable confusion in the public about Advance Directives.

WHEREAS, one of the principal goals of Healthcare Decisions Day is to encourage hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, and hospices to participate in a statewide effort to provide clear and consistent information to the public about advance directives, as well as to encourage medical professionals and lawyers to volunteer their time and efforts to improve public knowledge and increase the number of Alaska’s citizens with advance directives.

WHEREAS, the Foundation for End of Life Care in Juneau, Alaska, and other organizations throughout the United States have endorsed this event and are committed to educating the public about the importance of discussing healthcare choices and executing advance directives.

WHEREAS, as a result of April 16, 2008, being recognized as Healthcare Decisions Day in Alaska, more citizens will have conversations about their healthcare decisions; more citizens will execute advance directives to make their wishes known; and fewer families and healthcare providers will have to struggle with making difficult healthcare decisions in the absence of guidance from the patient.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Sarah Palin, Governor of the state of Alaska, do hereby proclaim April 16, 2008, as:

Healthcare Decisions Day in Alaska, and I call this observance to the attention of all our citizens.

Dated: April 16, 2008
I dont see the correlation between these two. First her "death panel" statement may not be valid but it is not 100% disengenuious either. Regardless of the bills verbage one must use the power of forethought. Secondly, This healthcare decisions day is a great idea. It is simply trying to let the patient determine or guide the course of action for the healthcare team. Trust me, there is nothing more furstrating than trying to determine code status during a code. Then trying to differentiate between limited and full recessutation and have conflicting wishes from the family.

Personally, I think advance directives, while helpfull are not worth there weight. Ideally you should appoint a heathcare proxy who acts as you if a situation should arrise where you are unable to make your wishes known, whatever they be. I honestly dont care what your wishes are or aren't I just need to know what you want me to do, and usually time is ticking. I cant tell you how many patients I have recussatated knowing that the wishes of the patient were to be a DNR, but family, who wants everything done, changes that when person is down. THIS HAPPENS EVERY DAY!!!! What happens? Family wins, they could sue if we dont try to save grandma and they wanted us to, regardess of what grandma actually wanted.

Proxy's help mitigate this by having an intimate knowledge of the patients wishes. There are too many what ifs to put on a sheet of paper. Additionally, if you dont have that paper, guess what, it is as good as having never drafted it.
jeepinRRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #13
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,379
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
Remember, Obama was determined to sign a bill before the august recess, in fact, any bill. You can say this detail or that detail isn't in one version of a bill or another, but don't you think obama will leave it up to his radical czars to decide what really goes down? Obamas "plan" isn't even his plan. He's not writing any bills, or even pretending to be involved in writing any bills. He's nothing but a puppet, and a bad one at that. I am loving seeing his presidency collapse
No, it's not the President's job to write bills. That is the job of Congress. He can talk about what he wants to see in it, but in the end his only official input is to sign it or veto it.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #14
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,379
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinRRT View Post
I dont see the correlation between these two. First her "death panel" statement may not be valid but it is not 100% disengenuious either. Regardless of the bills verbage one must use the power of forethought. Secondly, This healthcare decisions day is a great idea. It is simply trying to let the patient determine or guide the course of action for the healthcare team. Trust me, there is nothing more furstrating than trying to determine code status during a code. Then trying to differentiate between limited and full recessutation and have conflicting wishes from the family.

Personally, I think advance directives, while helpfull are not worth there weight. Ideally you should appoint a heathcare proxy who acts as you if a situation should arrise where you are unable to make your wishes known, whatever they be. I honestly dont care what your wishes are or aren't I just need to know what you want me to do, and usually time is ticking. I cant tell you how many patients I have recussatated knowing that the wishes of the patient were to be a DNR, but family, who wants everything done, changes that when person is down. THIS HAPPENS EVERY DAY!!!! What happens? Family wins, they could sue if we dont try to save grandma and they wanted us to, regardess of what grandma actually wanted.

Proxy's help mitigate this by having an intimate knowledge of the patients wishes. There are too many what ifs to put on a sheet of paper. Additionally, if you dont have that paper, guess what, it is as good as having never drafted it.
And that is all that section of the health care bill is trying to do, inspite of what the bills opponents are trying to tell people.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #15
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
No, it's not the President's job to write bills. That is the job of Congress. He can talk about what he wants to see in it, but in the end his only official input is to sign it or veto it.
okay, but he wanted to sign the fucking thing before anybody got to read it, including him
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #16
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,945
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
And that is all that section of the health care bill is trying to do, inspite of what the bills opponents are trying to tell people.
despite your belief of that, when taken in the greater context of a nearly 1,100 page bill, that most of the folks that will vote on it that have not read it, and neither will the President that signs it into law I would think that some of us conservatives can't really be blamed for attempting to fan the flames at this horrid piece of legislation. (there are other truly scary provisions in there - the idea of a health czar/agency who's decisions and policies are not subject to judicial review for example (I'd paste the reference but lost the page/section)

As stated, obama wants any bill, regardless of how horrific to be on his desk for signature.

When was the last time anyone can honestly state when a federal official actually did something beneficial for them, a friend, or a family member?

Sorry, but the words: "I'm from the government, I'm here to help" are more frightening to me, than "Put your hands up, this is a stickup" would be in an alley...

America can not afford more Government, and it is growing exponentially larger, despite the Left's bitching about Bush's growing of the Government/War.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #17
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,379
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
okay, but he wanted to sign the fucking thing before anybody got to read it, including him
Yes, he did seem to be in an awful hurry to sign something.

I'm not sure if that wasn't just to get congress moving on it.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #18
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,379
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
despite your belief of that, when taken in the greater context of a nearly 1,100 page bill, that most of the folks that will vote on it that have not read it, and neither will the President that signs it into law I would think that some of us conservatives can't really be blamed for attempting to fan the flames at this horrid piece of legislation. (there are other truly scary provisions in there - the idea of a health czar/agency who's decisions and policies are not subject to judicial review for example (I'd paste the reference but lost the page/section)

As stated, obama wants any bill, regardless of how horrific to be on his desk for signature.

When was the last time anyone can honestly state when a federal official actually did something beneficial for them, a friend, or a family member?

Sorry, but the words: "I'm from the government, I'm here to help" are more frightening to me, than "Put your hands up, this is a stickup" would be in an alley...

America can not afford more Government, and it is growing exponentially larger, despite the Left's bitching about Bush's growing of the Government/War.
But don't think we'd be better off if we dicussed what is actually in that bill, rather than making stuff up?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #19
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
You are a true believer. You only read what you want and interpet it with rose glasses. But you are articulate. You think Palin is irrevelant, but then start a thread critisizing her views and positions. She neither hold office or is a candidate for office. Her opinion counts the same as you or I.
But she's right.

I remember reading congress, POTUS and unions will be exempt from the bill. Let's get them on board first.

You still think this is about healthcare. It's a powerplay.
The sleeping giant has awoken and the emperor has no clothes.
Very well put.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #20
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,078
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXJ View Post
Wow Pete, your losing it. You've left view is affecting you mind.
The difference between Palins public education progam with guidance and a government mandate carried out by beauracrats.
I don't need the government to tell me how to die.
When the money runs out, suck on a gun barrel and pull the trigger.
I agree with you 100 %. The blind leading the blind and they both fall into a ditch. Obama is hoping that we are all blind.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.29359 seconds with 50 queries