Cash for clunkers = Obama has access to your complete computer - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #61
Guitardrumr
Senior Member
 
Guitardrumr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: Romulus, MI
Posts: 1,815
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Guitardrumr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
I do not feel Amendment IV was intended to apply to business agreements. But rather to an individuals right to privacy and due process. (yes, businesses are considered individuals in this context, but contracts and agreements are not)
You don't think any of those dealers have any information whatsoever that would fall under individual rights to privacy? How about employment records, customer records, hell, even who got drunk at the office Christmas party last year.

You mean to tell me, that the government has every right to demand access to this information (which in some cases the dealer itself is not authorized to give out, regarding private customer records)?


Far be it from me to argue politics, but this is just asinine.
Guitardrumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #62
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,561
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardrumr View Post
You don't think any of those dealers have any information whatsoever that would fall under individual rights to privacy? How about employment records, customer records, hell, even who got drunk at the office Christmas party last year.

You mean to tell me, that the government has every right to demand access to this information (which in some cases the dealer itself is not authorized to give out, regarding private customer records)?


Far be it from me to argue politics, but this is just asinine.
They have the right to not participate.

This is about what is allowable in a contract. At least, my take on this controversy.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #63
Guitardrumr
Senior Member
 
Guitardrumr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: Romulus, MI
Posts: 1,815
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Guitardrumr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
They have the right to not participate.

This is about what is allowable in a contract. At least, my take on this controversy.
Guess what? The average customer ends up with 0 rights. Know why? No one asked them whether they agreed, and yet all of their information now belongs to the government. Who gave the dealers the right to release private information (which they are doing by agreeing)?
Guitardrumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #64
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,561
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardrumr View Post
Guess what? The average customer ends up with 0 rights. Know why? No one asked them whether they agreed, and yet all of their information now belongs to the government. Who gave the dealers the right to release private information (which they are doing by agreeing)?

You are correct in your concern. And I too have a problem with the government having that information.....oh, wait, they already have it.



But, this is off topic. This thread was about the government getting all of your information off of your personal computer as soon as you log into the cars.gov website as a consumer. And the agreement that you supposedly, as a consumer, have to accept in order to gain basic information about the program.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #65
Guitardrumr
Senior Member
 
Guitardrumr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: Romulus, MI
Posts: 1,815
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Guitardrumr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
You are correct in your concern. And I too have a problem with the government having that information.....oh, wait, they already have it.
Oh? So you're saying whoever may be monitoring this at the government has free access to my social security number, credit info, address, phone number, e-mail? I realize certain parts of the government have certain information, but I highly doubt that whoever is monitoring this has free access to that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
But, this is off topic. This thread was about the government getting all of your information off of your personal computer as soon as you log into the cars.gov website as a consumer. And the agreement that you supposedly, as a consumer, have to accept in order to gain basic information about the program.
Actually, this thread has been off topic general bitching about C4C for a while now, with only a few still discussing this issue. And, by the way, it has been acknowledged both that this was on the dealers side, and that the linked video was a sensationalized story to gain ratings (imagine that, a news show, blowing a story out of proportion *SHOCK*).

The fact remains, that what the government did was unconstitutional. Your defense of this being a business deal is moot, as the government is NOT a business. It is a living, breathing governing body, that all to often has it's collective head up it's collective ass, and this is one of those cases.
Guitardrumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #66
matnic
Scramblin Man
 
matnic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-29-07
Location: Kewadin, Traverse City
Posts: 509
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/clunkers.asp
matnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #67
butters
It curves to the left...
 
butters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-07
Location: Rochester, MI and BFE, IA
Posts: 414
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

don't log on to the website then. I hate cash for clunkers, just blew up a
01 cadillac sts loaded 94k perfect shape.
butters is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.18673 seconds with 41 queries