SIN Tax - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #21
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganJeeper View Post
It's bullshit i have to pay 6.25 a deck for my squares.. now they're gonna up it AGAIN. My father was paying a dollar for 2 packs when he was my age. tsk tsk tsk...

Cry me a river.

I paid 60 cents when I started smoking.

You have a choice.

You pay the price, or you quit using the product.

I am an ex-smoker.

I feel that since the government (bipartisan) feels smoking is so bad for the smoker and others through medical research, they should all grow a pair and make tobacco products illegal. Taxing people to force them not to smoke is a cowards way out.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #22
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post

As much as I hate taxes I don't have a big problem with taxing tobacco and alcohol.
Fuck you. What do you enjoy? Lets raise taxes on that and see what you say then.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #23
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,562
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post

I feel that since the government (bipartisan) feels smoking is so bad for the smoker and others through medical research, they should all grow a pair and make tobacco products illegal. Taxing people to force them not to smoke is a cowards way out.
They tried that once with alcohol. It didn't work out so well.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #24
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Fuck you. What do you enjoy? Lets raise taxes on that and see what you say then.
Nice debate/discussion technique





Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
They tried that once with alcohol. It didn't work out so well.

Yep, they did. But wasn't that more about alcohol and the whole devils tool to usurp religion? Not sure it was because of health concerns as much as that.

For me the difference is, in moderation, drinking certain alcohol can have health benefits whereas even moderate smoking does nothing but cause destruction of ones health.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #25
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Nice debate/discussion technique
What? I find it a little inconsiderate when people say "hey it doesn't affect me, I don't care if it fucks my friends or neighbors". I don't smoke, but I do enjoy going to the bar with friends 1 or 2 nights a week. Adding more taxes on alcohol is ridiculous. Lets just tax the hell out of everything until people can not afford to do anything ever again.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #26
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,562
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
What? I find it a little inconsiderate when people say "hey it doesn't affect me, I don't care if it fucks my friends or neighbors". I don't smoke, but I do enjoy going to the bar with friends 1 or 2 nights a week. Adding more taxes on alcohol is ridiculous. Lets just tax the hell out of everything until people can not afford to do anything ever again.
Why do you assume that I don't think it affects me? (see screen name)
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #27
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Why do you assume that I don't think it affects me? (see screen name)
Then why in gods name would you be ok with it?
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #28
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
What? I find it a little inconsiderate when people say "hey it doesn't affect me, I don't care if it fucks my friends or neighbors"....................................


Ahhh, but Brewmenn said no such thing. If he had I would agree with your sentiment, but he did not.

I never find insults, put downs and profanity to be a favorable part of a good debate/discussion.

Now that I think about it, I find it inconsiderate when people read something in to a statement that is not there. Lot of that going on around this website.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #29
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Ahhh, but Brewmenn said no such thing. If he had I would agree with your sentiment, but he did not.

I never find insults, put downs and profanity to be a favorable part of a good debate/discussion.

Now that I think about it, I find it inconsiderate when people read something in to a statement that is not there. Lot of that going on around this website.
When you say you don't have a problem with it, it sure seems that way. Maybe its just me, I don't know. All I know is I am sick of all this talk on raising taxes on just about everything. When is enough enough? People only have so much money...
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #30
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
When you say you don't have a problem with it, it sure seems that way. Maybe its just me, I don't know. All I know is I am sick of all this talk on raising taxes on just about everything. When is enough enough? People only have so much money...

Enough has been enough for a lot of years, that is for sure.

I don't like taxes any more than the next guy, but I have less of an issue with use taxes than say income taxes.

If you don't want to pay these taxes, you still have the choice not to use the products.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #31
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Enough has been enough for a lot of years, that is for sure.

I don't like taxes any more than the next guy, but I have less of an issue with use taxes than say income taxes.

If you don't want to pay these taxes, you still have the choice not to use the products.

Would you be O.K. with the same percentage tax thats on cigs be placed on everything?????
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #32
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,562
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Then why in gods name would you be ok with it?
Because I'm not an inconsiderate person who say's "hey it doesn't affect me, I don't care if it fucks my friends or neighbors".

I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy, but I also recognize that for the government to supply services they need money, and most of that money comes from taxes.

Taxes on things like alcohol and tobacco make perfect sense to me. #1 both exert some cost on society, so it makes sense to tax them to recover some of that cost. #2 It is a tax that is completely avoidable. Don't buy them and you pay no tax.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #33
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Because I'm not an inconsiderate person who say's "hey it doesn't affect me, I don't care if it fucks my friends or neighbors".

I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy, but I also recognize that for the government to supply services they need money, and most of that money comes from taxes.

Taxes on things like alcohol and tobacco make perfect sense to me. #1 both exert some cost on society, so it makes sense to tax them to recover some of that cost. #2 It is a tax that is completely avoidable. Don't buy them and you pay no tax.
The government wouldn't need so much money if they didn't piss so much of it away. What cost does alcohol exert on society? If you are not a fall down knock out drunk, you usually don't have health problems. And, even if you did, I pay for health insurance for a reason.

Whats next? A car tax just because you own one? An air tax just because you breathe it? Lets tax people who wear glasses while we're at it, and people with facial hair too. What about bald people, they save money on hair cuts, so they should pay a bald tax too.

Last edited by greygoose; August 5th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #34
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Would you be O.K. with the same percentage tax thats on cigs be placed on everything?????

No I would not.

There are certain products that are essential to sustaining life and being a part of society. Food is an example. Food is not taxed (at the consumer level) because of this.

Cigarettes are an indulgence. They are not essential. And furthermore, they have been proven harmful to those who do not partake in them.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #35
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
No I would not.

There are certain products that are essential to sustaining life and being a part of society. Food is an example. Food is not taxed (at the consumer level) because of this.

Cigarettes are an indulgence. They are not essential. And furthermore, they have been proven harmful to those who do not partake in them.
Yeah, and they have raised taxes on cigarettes. Alcohol in moderation does not harm you or others. In fact, a beer a day is good for you. So what is your feeling on that?
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #36
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,562
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
The government wouldn't need so much money if they didn't piss so much of it away. What cost does alcohol exert on society? If you are not a fall down knock out drunk, you usually don't have health problems. And, even if you did, I pay for health insurance for a reason.
I agree, I would rather see the govenment stop pissing away so much money and not have to raise taxes.

And I agree that people who drink in moderation do not cost society anything. But it's the people who drink to exess (which I have been guilty off) who end up costing society. I wonder what percentage of police calls are alcohol related? I suspect it's a pretty high.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #37
PeteC
Get Up and Go
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 2,566
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Yeah, and they have raised taxes on cigarettes. Alcohol in moderation does not harm you or others. In fact, a beer a day is good for you. So what is your feeling on that?
I posted my feeling about that already. You even quoted and responded to another part of that post. I already stated that certain alcohol in moderation has proven health benefits.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #38
MichiganJeeper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Jackson MI
Posts: 624
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I say they make weed legal. It has no long term health effects if you you use a vaporizer and it's a way to get rid of drug dealers. If you think, why would you want normal weed from a drug dealer if you can buy high grade from the government? Something to think about ;)
MichiganJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #39
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
I agree, I would rather see the govenment stop pissing away so much money and not have to raise taxes.

And I agree that people who drink in moderation do not cost society anything. But it's the people who drink to exess (which I have been guilty off) who end up costing society. I wonder what percentage of police calls are alcohol related? I suspect it's a pretty high.
I agree about the police and alcohol, but even in the instances, I bet a lot of those people do not drink that much on a regular basis. On the other hand, I am sure SOME do. I have had more than I should at times, but I am by no means an alcoholic, that I can assure you. It just pisses me off because as the price of things keep going up, the amount of fun people have keeps going down. Hell, all I can afford to do at times is sit with the guys and have a few (just a few) beers and shoot the shit. Now I have to pay more for that too? That chaps my ass.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #40
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,562
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Whats next? A car tax just because you own one? An air tax just because you breathe it? Lets tax people who wear glasses while we're at it, and people with facial hair too. What about bald people, they save money on hair cuts, so they should pay a bald tax too.
Car tax? Done, it's called title and registration fees. Also the sales tax when you bought it.
Air tax? Glasses tax? facial hair tax? Bald tax? No, because these things do not cost society anything, and mostly aren't things you can just not do.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36713 seconds with 80 queries