Weight loss - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Weight loss

I need to drop 10 pounds and I would like to do it quick. Any tips? i went to the doctor yesterday and got a clean bill of health, but he asked me why I gained 15 pounds since last year when I was in. I know some of it is muscle, but a lot of it is fat. So, any ideas?
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM   #2
cj7
Mr. Merrill MI
 
cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-19-06
Location: merrill,mi
Posts: 512
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Drink at least 24 oz of water when you wake up.
I do it before I leave the bedroom.
I've done that and no fast food.
I am down over 60 pounds since march.

Good luck.
cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
xj4life
Senior Member
 
xj4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: LaPorte, IN
Posts: 7,715
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Atkins has worked well for me in the past
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Jeep is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My Jeep, without me, is useless. Without my Jeep, I am useless.
xj4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM   #4
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7 View Post
Drink at least 24 oz of water when you wake up.
I do it before I leave the bedroom.
I've done that and no fast food.
I am down over 60 pounds since march.

Good luck.
I drink about a gallon of water a day and haven't eaten fast food in years. I will admit that I eat fried food when we go out to eat though. Really I think its the beer that is doing it, but every event I go to everyone is drinking which makes it tough not to.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM   #5
forbyefore
.
 
forbyefore's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-07
Location: Bay City/AuGres, MI
Posts: 1,435
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

if you like rum and diet coke/pepsi that's a low calorie drink (65 calories I think) The lack of sugar in the soda helps me not get hangovers.
forbyefore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Weasal
Better than Newbie
 
Weasal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-30-06
Location: Mt Pleasant, MI
Posts: 2,827
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Cardio, cardio, and more cardio... Also, if you're willing to change your diet, eat 4-5 small meals a day
Weasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:20 AM   #7
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Default

very simple. plan a 1000 calorie/day meal plan. create exercise program that burns 2-3x that amount. your body will then reconvert the stored fat back to usable energy and you will lose weight.
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM   #8
cj7
Mr. Merrill MI
 
cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-19-06
Location: merrill,mi
Posts: 512
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
I drink about a gallon of water a day and haven't eaten fast food in years. I will admit that I eat fried food when we go out to eat though. Really I think its the beer that is doing it, but every event I go to everyone is drinking which makes it tough not to.
I drink about 2.5 gallons a day, I did also quit beer, switched to whiskey and diet coke.
Drinking the water when you wake up is supposed to spike your metabolism for about 4.5 hours.
cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:29 AM   #9
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,589
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I've lost about 30 pounds this year. I did it by cutting back on fast food and sweets, trying not to eat after about 7:30 p.m. (unless I am going to be up late) and increasing the cardio (I run about 80 miles a week and go to spinning classes 2 - 4 times a week.

All of that helped out significantly and then about 2 months ago I added a bunch of fiber to my diet (you might not want to get too close to my cubicle at work... it can get pretty toxic in here) and started doing more interval training with a lot of short bursts of high energy cardio work (i.e. lifting weights for a bit then all out sprint on treadmill for about 8 minutes, back to weights, back to treadmill but with a lower speed and high incline, repeat). After those changes, I noticed a really quick additional weight loss.

I started the year at about 188 lbs (I am about 5' 8") and am currently about 155 lbs. My goal was to lose 20 lbs and I beat that a long while back.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM   #10
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK View Post
I've lost about 30 pounds this year. I did it by cutting back on fast food and sweets, trying not to eat after about 7:30 p.m. (unless I am going to be up late) and increasing the cardio (I run about 80 miles a week and go to spinning classes 2 - 4 times a week.

All of that helped out significantly and then about 2 months ago I added a bunch of fiber to my diet (you might not want to get too close to my cubicle at work... it can get pretty toxic in here) and started doing more interval training with a lot of short bursts of high energy cardio work (i.e. lifting weights for a bit then all out sprint on treadmill for about 8 minutes, back to weights, back to treadmill but with a lower speed and high incline, repeat). After those changes, I noticed a really quick additional weight loss.

I started the year at about 188 lbs (I am about 5' 8") and am currently about 155 lbs. My goal was to lose 20 lbs and I beat that a long while back.
Good tips! I am 5' 7" and a small build. I am at 155 right now and would like to get down to 145 again.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 25,939
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Default

Get some hand cuffs.
Find a vacant house in detroit somewhere but don't tell anyone.
Cuff yourself in the basement around the sewer pipe.
Bring a 5gallon bucket as a crapper.
Cuff yourself and wait.
When you are skinny enough slip out of the cuffs and pick up hawt chicks
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #12
OSulley
Insert Title Here
 
OSulley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-11-09
Location: Oakland County Michigan
Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

What about the Shake Weights CC was advertising?
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=143342
OSulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:32 AM   #13
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,441
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I use a site called sparkpeople.com. It will help you develop a plan for how many calories you need to intake based on your current weight and how much you want to lose.
I would say extreme or fad diets don't work because you will end up just putting the weight back on.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Chief Brody
Get off my lawn.
 
Chief Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-06
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 3,688
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

ECA Stack. It's a combination of ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin. A combination of that stack, eating healthier, and running I lost 30 pounds in 2-3 months. Google it.
Chief Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:21 PM   #15
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
ECA Stack. It's a combination of ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin. A combination of that stack, eating healthier, and running I lost 30 pounds in 2-3 months. Google it.
Thanks but I want to do it naturally. Plus, caffeine and me don't get a long.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #16
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,441
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
Thanks but I want to do it naturally. Plus, caffeine and me don't get a long.
Yes, please don't do any fads. I have lost over 120lbs in less than a year with no funky suppliments or gimmicks. The real trick is simple. You need to eat less calories than you burn. If you burn 500 calories more than you eat a day then you will lose 1lb a week. I generally burn around 2300-2700 calories a day depending on which exercises I do, and I eat anywhere between 1250 and 1550 calories a day.
There is no magic gimmick if you want the loss to be permanent.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,478
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
very simple. plan a 1000 calorie/day meal plan. create exercise program that burns 2-3x that amount. your body will then reconvert the stored fat back to usable energy and you will lose weight.
don't you dare bring logic and reason into a weight loss thread.
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM   #18
MT-Dawg
Camel Buggy
 
MT-Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-07
Location: F-L-I-N-T South Side
Posts: 735
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

OK, this is a fad diet from the 80's and does nothing for keeping the weight off, but I thought I would share it...

You can loose 15lbs in 48-hours with the sure fire Hollywood PURGE method.

~ Drink 32 ounces of sea salt water (use a couple of table spoons of sea salt NOT table salt) early a.m. - wait by the toilet. You'll start power purging in about a half hour. Drink only water, natural juices (organic if possible) for the rest of the day.

Repeat this the next day...try to drink only juices or filtered water during the day. Don't eat anything - but be sure to drink plenty of liquids.

The way I understand it, you are flushing all the toxins which are stored as fat in your body along with the buildup in your intestinal tract. I tried it once and found that it did work, but I did NOT like having to be at least 10 feet from a bathroom at all times. Also, if you try it, you'll become familiar with the term "pissing out your Ass".

Happy flushing!
__________________
"Opportunity knocks once" Not true... In some cases it never comes knocking, you have to go out and grab it by the hippie pony tail, and drag it over to your place for wine and chocolate."
MT-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM   #19
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
Yes, please don't do any fads. I have lost over 120lbs in less than a year with no funky suppliments or gimmicks. The real trick is simple. You need to eat less calories than you burn. If you burn 500 calories more than you eat a day then you will lose 1lb a week. I generally burn around 2300-2700 calories a day depending on which exercises I do, and I eat anywhere between 1250 and 1550 calories a day.
There is no magic gimmick if you want the loss to be permanent.
See, my problem is that I don't eat very much at all. I have figured it out (calories wise) and with breakfast and dinner (no lunch) I probably eat 1000 calories a day. But, I do drink beer, not a lot tho maybe on average 2 cans a day. but I also walk 4 miles in an hour every other day.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM   #20
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Dawg View Post
OK, this is a fad diet from the 80's and does nothing for keeping the weight off, but I thought I would share it...

You can loose 15lbs in 48-hours with the sure fire Hollywood PURGE method.

~ Drink 32 ounces of sea salt water (use a couple of table spoons of sea salt NOT table salt) early a.m. - wait by the toilet. You'll start power purging in about a half hour. Drink only water, natural juices (organic if possible) for the rest of the day.

Repeat this the next day...try to drink only juices or filtered water during the day. Don't eat anything - but be sure to drink plenty of liquids.

The way I understand it, you are flushing all the toxins which are stored as fat in your body along with the buildup in your intestinal tract. I tried it once and found that it did work, but I did NOT like having to be at least 10 feet from a bathroom at all times. Also, if you try it, you'll become familiar with the term "pissing out your Ass".

Happy flushing!
Wouldn't the salt make you retain water, and raise your blood pressure?
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.28566 seconds with 80 queries