Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
pigfat
GONE COMMANDO
 
pigfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-09
Location: West of Monroe Michigan
Posts: 1,773
iTrader: (50)
Ammo availability gets worse

Ive been watching closely the availability of ammo. As we all know common hand gun ammo and most rifle ammo is ultra hard to come by. If you do find it its way more expensive than it should be. Well today i found that its very difficult to find .22lr. To find a brick of 22lr was hard but i was successful. Looking online, most 22lr is on backorder. Shotgun shells are next. Im getting stocked up so i can at least have a frickin duck season this year. Next year i might not be able to find shells. What a crock of shit!!
pigfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #2
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,965
iTrader: (3)
Yup it sucks
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #3
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,040
iTrader: (9)
cabellas had plenty when walmart had very little. try magnum force in monroe
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4
traveller
Senior Member
 
traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-09
Location: williamston mi
Posts: 536
iTrader: (3)
Yup this sucks we can thank all the who voted Obama in.
traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Medic8
You call, we haul.
 
Medic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Yup this sucks we can thank all the who voted Obama in.
No, you can thank all the "They're takin our guns!!!" folks who are scared that the bullets suddenly won't be available one day.

The horders who go in and buy out all the stock of ammo, just to turn around and triple the price... they are the reason you can't buy ammo right now. The people who are so scared that they won't be able to find ammo for that gun they never shoot, so are willing to pay 3x the price, they are the reason you can't buy ammo right now.

Solution: Quit buying ammo from private sources, and only buy what you're actually going to shoot. If we put the private sales guys out of "business", then they'll stop buying out the stores and we might be able to get reasonably priced .38, 9mm, .223, or .40 again.
Medic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #6
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 20,675
iTrader: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrt6dakota View Post
No, you can thank all the "They're takin our guns!!!" folks who are scared that the bullets suddenly won't be available one day.

The horders who go in and buy out all the stock of ammo, just to turn around and triple the price... they are the reason you can't buy ammo right now. The people who are so scared that they won't be able to find ammo for that gun they never shoot, so are willing to pay 3x the price, they are the reason you can't buy ammo right now.

Solution: Quit buying ammo from private sources, and only buy what you're actually going to shoot. If we put the private sales guys out of "business", then they'll stop buying out the stores and we might be able to get reasonably priced .38, 9mm, .223, or .40 again.


Actually I bought 40S&W at the gun show this weekend in Grand Rapids. The dealers were telling me that they have plenty of ammo. 40 Cal was going for $20 a box of 50 (American Eagle) and $35 for a box of 100 (Winchester).
9mm was even cheaper. I took a couple cards, from dealers who said they could handle my ammo needs with no problems.
I bought 40S&W American Eagle from Silver Bullet on Division in Grand Rapids two weeks ago for $25 a box of 50.
I think the Box stores are gouging just as bad as the private sellers that you mention. (Gander, Cabella, ect....)
I'm going through a lot of ammo right now, I have few guys trying to teach me how to shoot properly. LOL

Last edited by FORD FLARESIDE; June 29th, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #7
03hemisilver
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
 
03hemisilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-07
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (30)
Keep checking Wallyworld, it's coming in pretty regular now. Livonia had 160 boxes of 9mm at $9 a box on Fri nite. Picked mine up Sat morning.
__________________
80 CJ frame, YJ body, 304 cid, 4" lift, 35"s, 4.10's, locked, 8K winch, garage queen
2012 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew Ecoboost
03hemisilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Medic8
You call, we haul.
 
Medic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03hemisilver View Post
Keep checking Wallyworld, it's coming in pretty regular now. Livonia had 160 boxes of 9mm at $9 a box on Fri nite. Picked mine up Sat morning.
Holy shit, that's a surprise. Given the "regulars" that shop at the Livonia walmart, I'd think 9mm would be gone in a heartbeat.

It doesn't seem as bad now as it was a couple of months ago. Then again I've been watching MGO for posts about where to buy ammo.
Medic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #9
03hemisilver
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
 
03hemisilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-07
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (30)
.40 and .45 were at the Ypsi Wallyworld a couple weeks ago on a Thurs around lunchtime. Just gotta start stopping in if your near one and take a look. They have invoked a 6 box limit, but if they have the 100 rd boxes, it's like getting 12 anyway

Now to find some .380, or if someone wants to "deal" on some .380 for my 9mm, .40, or .45acp?
__________________
80 CJ frame, YJ body, 304 cid, 4" lift, 35"s, 4.10's, locked, 8K winch, garage queen
2012 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew Ecoboost
03hemisilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #10
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,965
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03hemisilver View Post
.40 and .45 were at the Ypsi Wallyworld a couple weeks ago on a Thurs around lunchtime. Just gotta start stopping in if your near one and take a look. They have invoked a 6 box limit, but if they have the 100 rd boxes, it's like getting 12 anyway

Now to find some .380, or if someone wants to "deal" on some .380 for my 9mm, .40, or .45acp?
Did you say 380? Let me know, i'm looking
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #11
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,395
iTrader: (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfat View Post
Ive been watching closely the availability of ammo. As we all know common hand gun ammo and most rifle ammo is ultra hard to come by. If you do find it its way more expensive than it should be. Well today i found that its very difficult to find .22lr. To find a brick of 22lr was hard but i was successful. Looking online, most 22lr is on backorder. Shotgun shells are next. Im getting stocked up so i can at least have a frickin duck season this year. Next year i might not be able to find shells. What a crock of shit!!
you must not follow it too close, .22lr has been hard to get for the last four months, it's out there, just not everywhere
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #12
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrt6dakota View Post
No, you can thank all the "They're takin our guns!!!" folks who are scared that the bullets suddenly won't be available one day.

The horders who go in and buy out all the stock of ammo, just to turn around and triple the price... they are the reason you can't buy ammo right now. The people who are so scared that they won't be able to find ammo for that gun they never shoot, so are willing to pay 3x the price, they are the reason you can't buy ammo right now.

Solution: Quit buying ammo from private sources, and only buy what you're actually going to shoot. If we put the private sales guys out of "business", then they'll stop buying out the stores and we might be able to get reasonably priced .38, 9mm, .223, or .40 again.

Pretty much everything you said is incorrect
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Medic8
You call, we haul.
 
Medic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Pretty much everything you said is incorrect
Please enlighten me then, I'm open for correction.

I'm just going by what I read on MGO, see in the stores, and what I've been told by Firing Line employees.
Medic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #14
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,722
iTrader: (7)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrt6dakota View Post
Please enlighten me then, I'm open for correction.

I'm just going by what I read on MGO, see in the stores, and what I've been told by Firing Line employees.
That would require him to post more than an open ended statement.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #15
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,871
iTrader: (22)
Most of the retail establishments are limiting what they sell. There are a lot of reasons why there is a "shortage."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #16
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
I talked to the PMC world headquarters in Texas, they claim they have freighters full of ammo sitting unable to unload because customs won't allow it, customs DOES NOT receive its direction from the "Their going to take my guns and ammo" citizen, however customs is a government run operation that the current administration has influenece over.
The government cutting the normal supply of ammo is what is causing the problem.





Solution: Quit buying ammo from private sources, and only buy what you're actually going to shoot. If we put the private sales guys out of "business", then they'll stop buying out the stores and we might be able to get reasonably priced .38, 9mm, .223, or .40 again.




What ammo should I quit buying, the stuff that is on the ships that I can't get.....

Put the private guy out of buisness....Isn't that what the government is doing.

Better yet lets just put a monster tax on ammo, that works for everthing else..
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #17
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,696
iTrader: (2)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
I talked to the PMC world headquarters in Texas, they claim they have freighters full of ammo sitting unable to unload because customs won't allow it, customs DOES NOT receive its direction from the "Their going to take my guns and ammo" citizen, however customs is a government run operation that the current administration has influenece over.




I have heard this elsewhere. You personally talked to them or is this a friend of a friend deal?
__________________
May the Sparks be with you
TJJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #18
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,395
iTrader: (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
I talked to the PMC world headquarters in Texas, they claim they have freighters full of ammo sitting unable to unload because customs won't allow it, customs DOES NOT receive its direction from the "Their going to take my guns and ammo" citizen, however customs is a government run operation that the current administration has influenece over.
The government cutting the normal supply of ammo is what is causing the problem.


What ammo should I quit buying, the stuff that is on the ships that I can't get.....
..
1000000% PURE BULLSHIT...Even if you did talk to whoever about whatever,no freighter ever sits full at the dock in any major shipping port. Freighters can't simply pull up and moor for any period or time they like. They pull in, get unloaded and then loaded back up and sent back across. Freighters NEVER sit idle for any period of time, PERIOD. I do know some Freighter Captains and this is how they said it works. If customs refused to allow said goods into country, they unload what they can, reload and returned customs refused goods to port of origin. They don't have time to be dicking around with red tape. And besides everything is already cleared through customs prior to ever being loaded aboard ship. It isn't a surprise to the customs guys when the ship gets here. All they do is check X number of containers to see if they match the PRE-APPROVED manifest
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #19
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,663
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
I think Toes gets all of his information from www.infowars.com
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #20
Medic8
You call, we haul.
 
Medic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Southgate, MI
Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Shortly before the presidential election the dam broke as far as U.S. gun and ammunition sales are concerned. I believe it is a reaction by the general public because of two main reasons. Number one, the political environment which results from the attitudes about gun control in the majority of Congress and the president himself. They are anti-gun. Number two, the current financial crisis in the U.S. has added to the frenzy, causing again the general public to want some sort of personal protection. Just in case they need it.

We are seeing a bubble in demand like I have never seen before and I have been in this business for 35 years. This demand is in addition to the military and law enforcement that also continues. PMC has expanded production to try and handle as much of the demand as it can before the demand starts to drop. Even so, the first scent of legislation being introduced to Congress will light another candle in the demand for these products. It will not end until the legislation is passed.
Rick Shoupe, PMC Ammunition

See also:
"Fear of regulation drives gun, ammo shortage"
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...shortage_N.htm


Toes, I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm sure something to that effect could have a contributing factor to the shortage. I'm just going by what I've heard. Just because it differs from what you've heard, doesn't make it any more right or wrong.

Looking at this, yeah, I guess you could start to place blame on people who voted for Obama, just as much as you could blame a hurricane on a Butterfly flapping it's wings. I'll even go a step further and say that it's not the guy's fault who goes out and gets a few thousand rounds of his favorite handgun ammo just to hold on to it.

I'm going to put my personal blame on the ones I mentioned before, the guys who are exploiting the shortage to sell (gouge) and the people who buy from them.

Last edited by Medic8; June 29th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Medic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.22644 seconds with 50 queries