Help me out here - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
View Poll Results: What should I do
Drill away and install them. 3 21.43%
Don't do it. 1 7.14%
Get some real rock sliders with a step. 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #1
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default Help me out here

I bought these nerf/side bars a while ago and I'm thinking about installing them on the scrambler to make it easier for wife and kids to get in and out. I had it all mocked up where I wanted them and...I couldn't get over the fact that I have to drill holes in my frame.

This is what they look like:


Is it worth putting holes in the frame to install these?
__________________
I SHOOT RAW!
---

Exercise your rights! Open Carry!
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Chief Brody
Get off my lawn.
 
Chief Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-06
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 3,688
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Chief Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3
traveller
Senior Member
 
traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-09
Location: williamston mi
Posts: 536
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If yout going to use those weld them on.
traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
If yout going to use those weld them on.
And don't wheel.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Pokerob
hug life
 
Pokerob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-06
Location: G-Rap, MI
Posts: 10,147
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
And don't wheel.
he only goes to silver lake, so he will be fine


however, his scrambler will look like shit...


just get a stool.
Pokerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #6
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
I bought these nerf/side bars a while ago and I'm thinking about installing them on the scrambler to make it easier for wife and kids to get in and out. I had it all mocked up where I wanted them and...I couldn't get over the fact that I have to drill holes in my frame.

This is what they look like:


Is it worth putting holes in the frame to install these?

That's how they are designed. The alternative is putting holes in the body and fabricating supporting bracketry. Do you think that the body is going to hold up to you stepping on them?
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #7
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerob View Post
he only goes to silver lake, so he will be fine


however, his scrambler will look like shit...


just get a stool.
As long as it's not cold out.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #8
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerob View Post
he only goes to silver lake, so he will be fine
That's right, I only play in the sand. But I'm not welding these to the frame either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerob View Post
however, his scrambler will look like shit...
I thought it already did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerob View Post
just get a stool.
I'll sell you these side bars to make your tugly look a little bit better, hey are you wheeling it yet?

I'm surprised you haven't commented on my hillbilly cage fabrication that I posted in my build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
That's how they are designed. The alternative is putting holes in the body and fabricating supporting bracketry. Do you think that the body is going to hold up to you stepping on them?
Hey, I'm only around 250lbs, I still have some time before the body caves in on me.
__________________
I SHOOT RAW!
---

Exercise your rights! Open Carry!
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #9
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

The alternative, I guess, would be to install the stock cj steps, but I'm unsure if those or the bars look more gay, I hope Rob will chime in.
__________________
I SHOOT RAW!
---

Exercise your rights! Open Carry!
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #10
Pokerob
hug life
 
Pokerob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-06
Location: G-Rap, MI
Posts: 10,147
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
That's right, I only play in the sand. But I'm not welding these to the frame either.
You wont weld or drill holes? why even ask if ther is anyother way..
get some sqare ubolts made up to go around your frame to bolt to the steps, some fabrication may be involved.


Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
I thought it already did?

i like it all jacked up looking, im in to that, i have an ugly tug remember


Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
I'll sell you these side bars to make your tugly look a little bit better, hey are you wheeling it yet?
no thanks i just bent my own up and welded them on



Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
I'm surprised you haven't commented on my hillbilly cage fabrication that I posted in my build thread.
im going to look right now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
Hey, I'm only around 250lbs, I still have some time before the body caves in on me.

i like the jabba the hut look on you, suits you well


Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jeep View Post
The alternative, I guess, would be to install the stock cj steps, but I'm unsure if those or the bars look more gay, I hope Rob will chime in.
Those would be totally hot!!!! or gay...........whatever you know what i like big guy
Pokerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.20523 seconds with 51 queries