The missing link has been revealed today! The link from us to the animal kingdom - Page 17 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM   #321
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,432
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
When you look at things from the perspective of what a person with a secular viewpoint, then yes I could see how you could take that . A person with a creation viewpoint would see that different. Isn't this a great country we live in, we can have a difference of opinion and only agree to disagree.
Nothing wrong with an opposing viewpoint.

I personally believe there is a God out there of some type. I also believe that the Bible is 98.7% bullshit because of the deceptive nature of man and his desire to manipulate things to get what he wants.

One problem I have with some of the posts is what are considered "facts" by some people. A true fact is something that is repeatable by normal scientific means. If a large number of facts support something, it is considered a law. An example of a fact/law would be the boiling of water. Water will boil at the same temperature every time as long as all parameters are kept constant (solutes, BTU input, and pressure above the surface). This can be repeated over and over by ANYBODY, not just somebody that has a direct line to God or whatever. If something can not be repeated by normal scientific means but a person BELIEVES that something is true, then this is know as a hypothesis. Science is full of hypotheses. These hypotheses lead to threories and sometimes event facts if enough proof can support the claim.

Citing the Bible does not make some factual. Believing what is said in the Bible without being able to repeat/witness/test it makes the Bible's statement a hypothesis by the vary nature of the definition of facts.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #322
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
Nothing wrong with an opposing viewpoint.

I personally believe there is a God out there of some type. I also believe that the Bible is 98.7% bullshit because of the deceptive nature of man and his desire to manipulate things to get what he wants.

One problem I have with some of the posts is what are considered "facts" by some people. A true fact is something that is repeatable by normal scientific means. If a large number of facts support something, it is considered a law. An example of a fact/law would be the boiling of water. Water will boil at the same temperature every time as long as all parameters are kept constant (solutes, BTU input, and pressure above the surface). This can be repeated over and over by ANYBODY, not just somebody that has a direct line to God or whatever. If something can not be repeated by normal scientific means but a person BELIEVES that something is true, then this is know as a hypothesis. Science is full of hypotheses. These hypotheses lead to threories and sometimes event facts if enough proof can support the claim.

Citing the Bible does not make some factual. Believing what is said in the Bible without being able to repeat/witness/test it makes the Bible's statement a hypothesis by the vary nature of the definition of facts.

You say the Bible is 98.7% BS. Where is your proof. As posted earlier spend six months in a good Christian church that will teach you about Christ, and have an open mind. Then I believe God will change the way you think.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #323
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,432
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
You say the Bible is 98.7% BS. Where is your proof. As posted earlier spend six months in a good Christian church that will teach you about Christ, and have an open mind. Then I believe God will change the way you think.
I said I BELIEVE the Bible is 98.7% bullshit, not I KNOW.

I'm so comfortable in my religious views it’s not funny.

From what I've witnessed about "true" Christians, they are a hypocritical group that really has their own self-interest at heart. Save me? I don't think Christians are concerned with my soul so much as to their own. From what I've observed (repeatedly), most Christians are trying to score points with God so they can increase their chances of getting into heaven. These same "Christians" are quick to tell me that I'm going to burn in Hell because they don't like something I did or don't agree with me. Yup, that's loving your fellow man.

I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I do believe in a Supreme Being of some type. I am a good person. Not because I am seeking an eternal reward for my actions but instead because I try to respect my fellow human beings for whom they are. I believe that when you die, your dead, nothing more. That doesn't mean I can't believe in God, that means I believe in God because something unexplainable in my heart tells me to believe.

As far as "proof" about the Bible, I could go on and on about EVIDENCE that most of the Bible is not fact but instead an allegory. There is very little proof that can back up the Bible. The usual response I get at this point is "That's how God wants it." or "Satan is controlling your mind.”

There is nothing wrong with your religious views as far as I'm concerned. If you believe in your heart that you are correct, so be it. What I want you to do is stop throwing out "facts" that are not substantiated. Just be comfortable in your own skin and follow your faith.

From what I've observed in these "debates", nobody is going to convince anybody to change their mind. Religion is a personal choice and it's not based on hard facts but instead faith. Religious people pulling "facts" out of their ass only furthers my disdain for the hypocrisy of the misguided faithful.

Last edited by Nuggets; June 1st, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM   #324
no1likesme
not Frank Sinatra
 
no1likesme's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-08
Location: shepherd, MI
Posts: 678
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to no1likesme Send a message via MSN to no1likesme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Well I say open your eyes. What more do you need.
I see absolutely nothing that would require a supernatural creator. If god wants to reveal himself than that is fine but until he does, i remain unconvinced.
no1likesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:03 AM   #325
clint357
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
 
clint357's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
I see absolutely nothing that would require a supernatural creator. If god wants to reveal himself than that is fine but until he does, i remain unconvinced.
Exactly, the proof of evolution is in the fossils found. The proof of Jesus lies in old scrolls. Just like the thousands of other scrolls that all tell different stories. It's like if you got 100 different stories that were found 2000 years ago which each described why the sky is blue. You choose the one that says it's because that's the color God thinks makes people happy. A scientist says it's because blue light has the shortest wavelength and is the only one that is powerful enough to pass through our atmosphere. The scientist tests the theory and it checks out OK. Who do you believe?
clint357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #326
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,947
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets View Post
I said I BELIEVE the Bible is 98.7% bullshit, not I KNOW.

I'm so comfortable in my religious views it’s not funny.

From what I've witnessed about "true" Christians, they are a hypocritical group that really has their own self-interest at heart. Save me? I don't think Christians are concerned with my soul so much as to their own. From what I've observed (repeatedly), most Christians are trying to score points with God so they can increase their chances of getting into heaven. These same "Christians" are quick to tell me that I'm going to burn in Hell because they don't like something I did or don't agree with me. Yup, that's loving your fellow man.

I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. I do believe in a Supreme Being of some type. I am a good person. Not because I am seeking an eternal reward for my actions but instead because I try to respect my fellow human beings for whom they are. I believe that when you die, your dead, nothing more. That doesn't mean I can't believe in God, that means I believe in God because something unexplainable in my heart tells me to believe.

As far as "proof" about the Bible, I could go on and on about EVIDENCE that most of the Bible is not fact but instead an allegory. There is very little proof that can back up the Bible. The usual response I get at this point is "That's how God wants it." or "Satan is controlling your mind.”

There is nothing wrong with your religious views as far as I'm concerned. If you believe in your heart that you are correct, so be it. What I want you to do is stop throwing out "facts" that are not substantiated. Just be comfortable in your own skin and follow your faith.

From what I've observed in these "debates", nobody is going to convince anybody to change their mind. Religion is a personal choice and it's not based on hard facts but instead faith. Religious people pulling "facts" out of their ass only furthers my disdain for the hypocrisy of the misguided faithful.

As far as proving miracles and that kind of stuff, there is (as Far as I know) very little proof. However, There is more Manuscripts that back up the bible then any other text in the world. Something like 24,000. The Gospels were written no more then 25 years after the events that happened. Yet, People still question it's historical backing. When you get into books by Areostotle (SP?) there are maybe 20 manuscripts that back it up. I'm not saying that this Supports the Faith behind the book, But the book it's self is very well backed by manuscripts dating back to it's beginings. MOre so then any other book in history.


Oh, I agree with you that Christians are Hypocrites and that many use Christianity to get things for themsleves. It's sad. There are Some out there that actually selfishly live thier lifes for Christ and change things incredibly. I have no doubt in my mind that if more Christians (My self included) aspired a bit more to Act as Christ did, this Discussion wouldn't be happening. Also, If you've seen Christians trying to earn thier way into heaven then you either didn't understand what they were doing, or they didn't fully grasp the Truth of the Gospel. We can't do anything to earn our way into heaven. The only way is through the Sacrifice of Christ. If it weren't for Christ in her life, Mother Terisa (Sp?) would be in hades. We can't meet God's Standard and that's what the hole story of the bible is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint357 View Post
Exactly, the proof of evolution is in the fossils found. The proof of Jesus lies in old scrolls. Just like the thousands of other scrolls that all tell different stories. It's like if you got 100 different stories that were found 2000 years ago which each described why the sky is blue. You choose the one that says it's because that's the color God thinks makes people happy. A scientist says it's because blue light has the shortest wavelength and is the only one that is powerful enough to pass through our atmosphere. The scientist tests the theory and it checks out OK. Who do you believe?

I believe both. I believe God created that Atmosphere to generate blue so that the scientist would be interested enough to learn how it works. All Glorifing God. ONce agian too, Those "old Scrolls" were written less then 25 years after the event. Not many other texts can boast that from that long ago. Also, those accounts (the 4 Gospels) were written by some of Jesus's closet Friends who were there.

Last edited by L4CX; June 2nd, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:18 AM   #327
clint357
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
 
clint357's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
As far as proving miracles and that kind of stuff, there is (as Far as I know) very little proof. However, There is more Manuscripts that back up the bible then any other text in the world. Something like 24,000. The Gospels were written no more then 25 years after the events that happened. Yet, People still question it's historical backing. When you get into books by Areostotle (SP?) there are maybe 20 manuscripts that back it up. I'm not saying that this Supports the Faith behind the book, But the book it's self is very well backed by manuscripts dating back to it's beginings. MOre so then any other book in history.


Oh, I agree with you that Christians are Hypocrites and that many use Christianity to get things for themsleves. It's sad. There are Some out there that actually selfishly live thier lifes for Christ and change things incredibly. I have no doubt in my mind that if more Christians (My self included) aspired a bit more to Act as Christ did, this Discussion wouldn't be happening. Also, If you've seen Christians trying to earn thier way into heaven then you either didn't understand what they were doing, or they didn't fully grasp the Truth of the Gospel. We can't do anything to earn our way into heaven. The only way is through the Sacrifice of Christ. If it weren't for Christ in her life, Mother Terisa (Sp?) would be in hades. We can't meet God's Standard and that's what the hole story of the bible is about.




I believe both. I believe God created that Atmosphere to generate blue so that the scientist would be interested enough to learn how it works. All Glorifing God. ONce agian too, Those "old Scrolls" were written less then 25 years after the event. Not many other texts can boast that from that long ago. Also, those accounts (the 4 Gospels) were written by some of Jesus's closet Friends who were there.
The same could be said for documents about the feats of hercules, Zeus, and a handful of other notable figures. Does this make it true? What if those scriptures were actually the outlines for a performance? What if they were to be a children's book? What if tomorrow someone unearthed 100,000 scrolls which said that an ancient man from 2,600 B.C. was the actual prophet and it mentioned nothing of Jesus. Would this automatically be consitered FACT becuase of the number of scrolls and the early date? Face it, there's a bunch of religions out there and you just pick one that you like or that you grew up with.

Last edited by clint357; June 2nd, 2009 at 07:29 AM.
clint357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM   #328
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint357 View Post
The same could be said for documents about the feats of hercules, Zeus, and a handful of other notable figures. Does this make it true? What if those scriptures were actually the outlines for a performance? What if they were to be a children's book?
These documents about the mythical gods they were written by the Greeks and Romans. They believed in all sorts of gods and they had been proven to be only myths.The Romans did make statues of their gods that is why you still see them in Rome, and stories were invented.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM   #329
clint357
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
 
clint357's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Just out of curiosity, when was Jesus first mentioned in the Bible?
clint357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM   #330
clint357
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
 
clint357's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
These documents about the mythical gods they were written by the Greeks and Romans. They believed in all sorts of gods and they had been proven to be only myths.The Romans did make statues of their gods that is why you still see them in Rome, and stories were invented.
How were they proven to be only myths?
clint357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM   #331
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint357 View Post
The same could be said for documents about the feats of hercules, Zeus, and a handful of other notable figures. Does this make it true? What if those scriptures were actually the outlines for a performance? What if they were to be a children's book? What if tomorrow someone unearthed 100,000 scrolls which said that an ancient man from 2,600 B.C. was the actual prophet and it mentioned nothing of Jesus. Would this automatically be consitered FACT becuase of the number of scrolls and the early date? Face it, there's a bunch of religions out there and you just pick one that you like or that you grew up with.
You know there has never been more confusion about Christ since prayer has been removed from the schools.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #332
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint357 View Post
How were they proven to be only myths?
These myths were made of stone and are statues standing in Rome and the people of the time worshiped them.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM   #333
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,092
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
I see absolutely nothing that would require a supernatural creator. If god wants to reveal himself than that is fine but until he does, i remain unconvinced.
Have you heard the term blind leading the blind. I hope your friends and family don't follow you. God's creations is everywhere.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM   #334
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,432
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

As I said in an earlier post, nobody is going to change anybodys mind in this thread.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM   #335
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Have you heard the term blind leading the blind. I hope your friends and family don't follow you. God's creations is everywhere.
What an arrogent douchebag statement to make. You truly are one fucked up "christian." You're saying this mans family shouldn't follow him because he's chosen to be logical and not bow down to the fantasy land that you think he should? What a piece of shit. I hope jesus makes you suck his dick.
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM   #336
Nuggets
I fix stuff!
 
Nuggets's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-06
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 13,432
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

This thread as staled because some people are using circular logic.
Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #337
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
What an arrogent douchebag statement to make. You truly are one fucked up "christian." You're saying this mans family shouldn't follow him because he's chosen to be logical and not bow down to the fantasy land that you think he should? What a piece of shit. I hope jesus makes you suck his dick.

Quality response.....

Really adds to the thread.....
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM   #338
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Quality response.....

Really adds to the thread.....
I don't chime in anymore unless I see something completely fucked up, mainly because the bible thumpers cry about my blunt and to the point opinions, but if you'd read the posts, he said that he hoped No1likesme's friends and family didn't follow him in life simply because he didn't believe in his fantasy land. Do you agree with that?
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM   #339
clint357
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
 
clint357's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
You know there has never been more confusion about Christ since prayer has been removed from the schools.
How about answering my question?
clint357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #340
clint357
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
 
clint357's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
These myths were made of stone and are statues standing in Rome and the people of the time worshiped them.
I don't know wtf you are talking about. Are you saying that because there were statues made to worship them?
clint357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.54437 seconds with 80 queries