Going to look at a powerstroke tommorow...Tips? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
94transam25th
Senior Member
 
94transam25th's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-07
Location: Utica/MI
Posts: 757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Going to look at a powerstroke tommorow...Tips?

Ok, so i'm going to look at a 99 F350 powerstroke tomorrow afternoon and have never owned a diesel before so what are some things i should check out? The truck has 260,000 miles which is a lot but how much can you expect out of the 7.3? It has a rebuilt trans by driveline in hazel park which was supposed to be built for over 2000 horsepower

This truck has a lot of extras like coil over conversion in the front netting about 15" of lift and 44" swampers almost brand new

the truck looks to be in fairly good shape and i think im gettin a good deal if this thing runs good

any tips?
94transam25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #2
HVYRTFT
Reed my teef
 
HVYRTFT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-17-07
Location: Whitehall,MI
Posts: 2,448
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

you are gonna dd something like that?
HVYRTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #3
94transam25th
Senior Member
 
94transam25th's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-17-07
Location: Utica/MI
Posts: 757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

no just for weekends/messing around
94transam25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #4
shifty_85
2 low for fat hoes
 
shifty_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-08
Location: Farmington hills/ MI
Posts: 412
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
Default

260,000 miles on a diesel isnt that many at all. there just getting broke in! 7.3's are great for towing and low end grunt. the only prob i can recall from a super duty is the front ends have issues with wheel bearings. but other than that i cant think of much. id take a scan tool if you got one or stop at an autozone with the truck and check codes. check oil trans everything. and ask if hes kept up with oil changes. but you have to know with that big of a lift and tires hes beat the crap out of this truck!!!
shifty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #5
Blacklung
Senior Member
 
Blacklung's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-13-08
Location: Emmett, MI
Posts: 1,197
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94transam25th View Post
Ok, so i'm going to look at a 99 F350 powerstroke tomorrow afternoon and have never owned a diesel before so what are some things i should check out? The truck has 260,000 miles which is a lot but how much can you expect out of the 7.3? It has a rebuilt trans by driveline in hazel park which was supposed to be built for over 2000 horsepower

This truck has a lot of extras like coil over conversion in the front netting about 15" of lift and 44" swampers almost brand new

the truck looks to be in fairly good shape and i think im gettin a good deal if this thing runs good

any tips?
Haha, my old truck...
Blacklung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #6
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,199
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty_85 View Post
260,000 miles on a diesel isnt that many at all. there just getting broke in! 7.3's are great for towing and low end grunt. the only prob i can recall from a super duty is the front ends have issues with wheel bearings. but other than that i cant think of much. id take a scan tool if you got one or stop at an autozone with the truck and check codes. check oil trans everything. and ask if hes kept up with oil changes. but you have to know with that big of a lift and tires hes beat the crap out of this truck!!!
I don't care who you are, 1/4 million miles is alot
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #7
Woodyjiw
FUCK CANCER!!!
 
Woodyjiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: Muskegon MI
Posts: 455
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Check the ball joints as well, when those go they will take out the wheel bearings if it's not repaired so. Wheel bearings are pricey.
Woodyjiw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #8
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,201
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

on a diesel motor 260 isnt bad at all. the rest of the truck may have problems depending on how they took care of it. check it all real good. i would let it sit and run for a few mins then drive it pretty hard and see if it throws codes.
masterbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #9
junk90xj
ALLPRO AUTO
 
junk90xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: lansing
Posts: 4,556
iTrader: (47)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

if it has a dana 50 front end expect alot of issues with that big of a tire. look for rusted oil pan as this is common and a pain the butt to repair.

axle joint, wheel bearings, ball joints and drive shaft ujoints would be a concern with the much lift and tire.

trans built for 2000 hp is funny
__________________
http://www.apalansing.com/
junk90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #10
shifty_85
2 low for fat hoes
 
shifty_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-08
Location: Farmington hills/ MI
Posts: 412
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
Default

after nuclear war diesel engines will still be running. diesels run forever if kept up right. ive seen landscapign diesels with 400,000+ miles on them still the same motor...rebuilt trans or rear end but the motors just keep going. i work at UPS i was talking to the mech. back there he said one of the mack semi trucks he just did an oil change on had 853,021 miles on it...frist motor... granted that is mantiance kept up not when it breaks fix it but still thats almost 1 million miles.

the whole front end in most super dutys is the main prob. other than that there strong running truck and i wouldnt mind having one!
shifty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #11
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,199
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty_85 View Post
after nuclear war diesel engines will still be running. diesels run forever if kept up right. ive seen landscapign diesels with 400,000+ miles on them still the same motor...rebuilt trans or rear end but the motors just keep going. i work at UPS i was talking to the mech. back there he said one of the mack semi trucks he just did an oil change on had 853,021 miles on it...frist motor... granted that is mantiance kept up not when it breaks fix it but still thats almost 1 million miles.

the whole front end in most super dutys is the main prob. other than that there strong running truck and i wouldnt mind having one!
I wasn't merly speaking of the engine. Sure the rotating assembly can take the miles, but what about everything else on the engine, and or truck.

I didn't mean to offend you, i was pointing out there could be many issues with a truck with 250K miles
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #12
masterbeatty
Senior Member
 
masterbeatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: my house
Posts: 4,201
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
I wasn't merly speaking of the engine. Sure the rotating assembly can take the miles, but what about everything else on the engine, and or truck.

I didn't mean to offend you, i was pointing out there could be many issues with a truck with 250K miles
yea shifty. haha. i think the big problem in the motors is glowplugs but dont quote me on that because im not positive.
masterbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #13
Bishop
Senior Member
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-07
Location: brighton, atlanta, MI
Posts: 3,590
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bishop
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
I don't care who you are, 1/4 million miles is alot
a tech here at work has half a million on a ford mini van its a 93' or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumotorhead View Post
I wasn't merly speaking of the engine. Sure the rotating assembly can take the miles, but what about everything else on the engine, and or truck.

I didn't mean to offend you, i was pointing out there could be many issues with a truck with 250K miles
very true
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Blacklung
Senior Member
 
Blacklung's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-13-08
Location: Emmett, MI
Posts: 1,197
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk90xj View Post
if it has a dana 50 front end expect alot of issues with that big of a tire. look for rusted oil pan as this is common and a pain the butt to repair.

axle joint, wheel bearings, ball joints and drive shaft ujoints would be a concern with the much lift and tire.

trans built for 2000 hp is funny
Yea, I don't recall having a 2000 hp tranny. He told me it only handled 1500 hp when I bought it from him (In case your wondering, I sold it back to him)
Blacklung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #15
shifty_85
2 low for fat hoes
 
shifty_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-08
Location: Farmington hills/ MI
Posts: 412
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
Default

yeah i understand that other parts on the motor goes bad but the motors if kept up will last forever
shifty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #16
HVYRTFT
Reed my teef
 
HVYRTFT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-17-07
Location: Whitehall,MI
Posts: 2,448
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

will it go to the moon with its 20000000000 hp tranny?
HVYRTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #17
gotsand?
sie sehen mich rollin ...
 
gotsand?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-06
Location: New Era, MI --- "We passed BFE 35 minutes ago."
Posts: 3,334
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to gotsand?
Default

yep....get a cummins
gotsand? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #18
shifty_85
2 low for fat hoes
 
shifty_85's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-08
Location: Farmington hills/ MI
Posts: 412
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to shifty_85 Send a message via MSN to shifty_85
Default

keep on stroking 7.3....5.9....NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLASMENT!!!
shifty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #19
samurai2240
Adrenaline my drug choice
 
samurai2240's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-05
Location: muskegon
Posts: 1,045
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junk90xj View Post
if it has a dana 50 front end expect alot of issues with that big of a tire. look for rusted oil pan as this is common and a pain the butt to repair.

axle joint, wheel bearings, ball joints and drive shaft ujoints would be a concern with the much lift and tire.

trans built for 2000 hp is funny
if its a f350 it souldnt have a dana 50, they had 60s i think
samurai2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #20
Blacklung
Senior Member
 
Blacklung's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-13-08
Location: Emmett, MI
Posts: 1,197
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty_85 View Post
keep on stroking 7.3....5.9....NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLASMENT!!!
After now owning two 7.3s, I strongly disagree with that. The 5.9 Cummins is hands down the best diesel motor available in a pick up. If I had the extra cash, I wouldn't hesitate doing the destroked conversion.
Blacklung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.29605 seconds with 82 queries