Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,268
iTrader: (37)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Increase vehicle fees to create more jobs??

I agree mass transit is missing in MI, but I don't think taxing people to the point that they can't afford to pay for their car and fuel, and therefor are forced to use mass transit is the way to get the job done.


Quote:
Big hitters behind plan to boost vehicle fees
Detroit Free Press 05/15/09
by Chris Christoff
(c) Copyright 2007, Detroit Free Press. All Rights Reserved.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LANSING -- An ambitious plan to raise the gas tax and the cost of car registration fees to pay for better roads has political big hitters behind it.

They hope to topple potent resistance in the Capitol that confronts any notion of putting more money in the government's hands.

That resistance stands in the way of a powerful coalition that unveiled the road funding plan at the Capitol on Thursday. The same group tried vainly to push a similar plan through the lame-duck Legislature last fall.

The coalition includes the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, which generally leads Lansing's stalwart opponents to higher taxes.

Chamber President Rich Studley said better roads and mass transit will bring business to the state.

"This is really about job creation and promoting business conditions that are favorable to Michigan," Studley said.

The coalition says the changes would produce $1.8 billion more in revenue for road repairs by 2014. This year, the state is to take in nearly $2 billion from the gas tax and vehicle registrations.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm supports the plan. So does Rep. Pam Byrnes, D-Chelsea, chair of the House Transportation Committee, which began hearings on the plan Thursday.

But Sen. Jud Gilbert, R-Algonac, has doubts. Gilbert, chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, said he'd prefer raising the current per-gallon gas tax a few pennies.

"I'm not saying we don't need more revenue, we do," Gilbert said.

The coalition plan also would double annual registration fees for most light cars and trucks over five years. But owners of older, less expensive cars would get a 10% break.

The proposal

# Replace the state's flat 19-cents-per-gallon gas tax with a percentage tax on the wholesale price of gas, phased in over five years.

# Cap new tax at the pump to 34 cents per gallon -- 15 cents more than the current tax.

# Convert diesel fuel taxes to the same basis as gasoline.

# Double annual registration fees for new vehicles by 2014; older cars pay less.

# Increase truck registration fees 5% a year for four years.

# Let counties charge up to $25 on driver's licenses for local road maintenance and repairs.

# Local governments could capture some property taxes for road use.

# Reward counties for joint planning of road projects.
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
junk90xj
ALLPRO AUTO
 
junk90xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: lansing
Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (47)
one more way to drain our wallet.
__________________
http://www.apalansing.com/
junk90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
we are taxed on gas now for the roads and they waste that money. double the registration fees? I would pay close to $700 for all my vehicles to register in a year.
fuck granholm. fuck this state.

why don't they cut the government payroll?

here's a fucking idea bitch, take all those getting check from the fucking state and put them to work fixing the roads since we are already paying them.

i am soooooooooo sick of these fukc nuts always trying to fix shit by just adding another tax.

they are getting 19¢ per gallon now at 4.9 billion gallons sold in this state equates to $931,000,000 a year not including the state sales tax we are paying on that same gas at 6%
PLUS vehicle registration fees that are supposed to assist in road repair.

the problem is political terrorism and corruption, not a lack of taxes

granholm said that there was no money to fix roads. where did it go? while all the road projects were halted the state still collected that road money on our gas purchases.

people need to wake the fukc up in this state.
this doc shows the amount of revenue the state was making.
http://www.senate.michigan.gov/sfa/P...os/Mem0501.pdf

Last edited by ovrlnd; May 15th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
ovrlnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Pokerob
hug life
 
Pokerob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-25-06
Location: G-Rap, MI
Posts: 10,147
iTrader: (25)
add more fail projects to create more jobs....

You know they could build roads that would last for alot longer than they currently do...but that would mean that the road workers would have less work. Its a fucking bs scam...
Pokerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #5
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Are they trying to drive the few remaining small business owners out of business? fucking bullshit, i am sooooo glad i am burning offroad fuel right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
x2
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerob View Post
add more fail projects to create more jobs....

You know they could build roads that would last for alot longer than they currently do...but that would mean that the road workers would have less work. Its a fucking bs scam...
ask anyone who crosses michigans southern border on a regular basis. you can always tell once you are in michigan, you go from smooth roads to choppy cracked ones.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
we are taxed on gas now for the roads and they waste that money. double the registration fees? I would pay close to $700 for all my vehicles to register in a year.
fuck granholm. fuck this state.

why don't they cut the government payroll?

here's a fucking idea bitch, take all those getting check from the fucking state and put them to work fixing the roads since we are already paying them.

i am soooooooooo sick of these fukc nuts always trying to fix shit by just adding another tax.

they are getting 19 per gallon now at 4.9 billion gallons sold in this state equates to $931,000,000 a year not including the state sales tax we are paying on that same gas at 6%
PLUS vehicle registration fees that are supposed to assist in road repair.

the problem is political terrorism and corruption, not a lack of taxes

granholm said that there was no money to fix roads. where did it go? while all the road projects were halted the state still collected that road money on our gas purchases.

people need to wake the fukc up in this state.
this doc shows the amount of revenue the state was making.
http://www.senate.michigan.gov/sfa/P...os/Mem0501.pdf


What about diesel????
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Broncoholic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I am gettin an IDI
  Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #9
insane88yj
Member
 
insane88yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-30-08
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (36)
at that rate guess if i build the 3 yj's i should use 1 vin and swap vin plate from jeep to jeep screw the gov. they get enough now just need to be smarter on how they spend it. then they wonder why people do things illeagally and so many are leaving MI.

Last edited by insane88yj; May 17th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
insane88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #10
CHVYPWR
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
 
CHVYPWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Vicksburg, Mi.
Posts: 1,615
iTrader: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane88yj View Post
at that rate guess if i build the 3 yj's i should use 1 vin and swap vin plate from jeep to jeep screw the gov. they get enough now just need to be smarter on how they spend it. then they wonder why people do things illeagally and so many are leaving MI.
Thats what I do with my trailer plate.
CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #11
opie93ex
Senior Member
 
opie93ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-07
Location: caledonia mi
Posts: 1,168
iTrader: (4)
just another way to suck the state dry and fill there pockets even more
opie93ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #12
insane88yj
Member
 
insane88yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-30-08
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (36)
mich gov sucks the big one !!
insane88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #13
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYPWR View Post
Thats what I do with my trailer plate.


x2 3 boats, 2 plates.

Last edited by steveo; May 18th, 2009 at 05:29 AM.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #14
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
I'm already doing the plate transfer boogie. Not paying $1000 a year to register a vehicle.

She's going to make people not want to buy anything new.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #15
insane88yj
Member
 
insane88yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-30-08
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
I'm already doing the plate transfer boogie. Not paying $1000 a year to register a vehicle.

She's going to make people not want to buy anything new.
that just shows her ignorance. complain about lac of money jobs ect then hit people where it hurts eaven more. ya tha will help. NOT
insane88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #16
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane88yj View Post
that just shows her ignorance. complain about lac of money jobs ect then hit people where it hurts eaven more. ya tha will help. NOT
when will people learn that can't think of actual solutions, the just add a tax.
ovrlnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #17
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,406
iTrader: (40)
I for one would triple my fees if it meant better jobs and gave people jobs, this is a good plan why are you guys knocking it?
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #18
tom tom
Senior Member
 
tom tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-05-07
Location: Monroe MI
Posts: 1,702
iTrader: (28)
I'm buying a horse
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #19
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hancho View Post
I for one would triple my fees if it meant better jobs and gave people jobs, this is a good plan why are you guys knocking it?
Easy to say when you don't own the Viper anymore.




PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #20
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hancho View Post
I for one would triple my fees if it meant better jobs and gave people jobs, this is a good plan why are you guys knocking it?



Could you change your avitar, the one you have kinda creeps me out....
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.21614 seconds with 50 queries