S. 799 America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009 will close the doors on Utah recreat - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > Rules, Regulations, Trail, and ORV Park Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #21
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Got an automated response from Stab-me-now. Said due to the volume of email she receives, can't reply to everyone.

Best bet would be write her, but bet she gets a lot of hate mail as well.
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #22
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,175
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
This is beyond maddening.

I disagree slightly . . .

What's "maddening" (IMHO) is that on a site with over 10,000 members, only 8 people have acknowledged seeing this.

Heck, now days, I expect to be stabbed in the back by the Government.

When I started getting involved in fighting land closures I didn't expect such an overwhelming level of apathy from our own enthusiasts though. That, to me, is what's truly maddening.

Everyone wants to bitch about the closures, but less than 1/10th of 1% will even post a reply, let a lone actually write and send the letters.

I'd ask why I should bother spending my time on it, but now and then something like Drummond Island comes along and slaps me back to reality.

We CAN have a positive impact, IF we get involved.
The *NEW* Drummond Island ORV Route serves as a great example.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #23
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'm not so busy right now so i'm drafting a letter.

though i will send the same letter to all sen involved, i don't believe they will carry much weight for anyone but Stab-me-now, since we actually vote in MI, she might be the only one who cares.
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #24
fsumotorhead
N8KVB
 
fsumotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (34)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
I disagree slightly . . .

What's "maddening" (IMHO) is that on a site with over 10,000 members, only 8 people have acknowledged seeing this.

Heck, now days, I expect to be stabbed in the back by the Government.

When I started getting involved in fighting land closures I didn't expect such an overwhelming level of apathy from our own enthusiasts though. That, to me, is what's truly maddening.

Everyone wants to bitch about the closures, but less than 1/10th of 1% will even post a reply, let a lone actually write and send the letters.

I'd ask why I should bother spending my time on it, but now and then something like Drummond Island comes along and slaps me back to reality.

We CAN have a positive impact, IF we get involved.
The *NEW* Drummond Island ORV Route serves as a great example.
x2

...and with the unemployment rate, there should be more than a few with some extra time on their hands.
fsumotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #25
Nuzzy
likes him some Red Dog
 
Nuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-27-07
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 2,268
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Fanatic View Post
I disagree slightly . . .

What's "maddening" (IMHO) is that on a site with over 10,000 members, only 8 people have acknowledged seeing this.

Heck, now days, I expect to be stabbed in the back by the Government.

When I started getting involved in fighting land closures I didn't expect such an overwhelming level of apathy from our own enthusiasts though. That, to me, is what's truly maddening.

Everyone wants to bitch about the closures, but less than 1/10th of 1% will even post a reply, let a lone actually write and send the letters.

I'd ask why I should bother spending my time on it, but now and then something like Drummond Island comes along and slaps me back to reality.

We CAN have a positive impact, IF we get involved.
The *NEW* Drummond Island ORV Route serves as a great example.


Sooner or later these issues WILL strike home. But obviously the "Out of Site, Out of Mind" mentality is kicking strong

I just got an email blast from an Arizona board asking for help because of an immediate threat to a number of trail areas down there...

These land use issues are gaining steam EVERYWHERE at an ever expanding rate, and with the current administration things'll only get worse.
Nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #26
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The problem is, that 'Green' is the in and cool thing. So everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Since it is the popular thing, the politicians are all for it.

Add in the fact that the greenies are active and they have the advantage. Like Nuzzy and others have stated, "out of sight, out of mind". The people here don't really care about land use, especially if it is in another state. Since the folks on the local boards (not just this one) don't get active, we will not make a difference.

Too bad, when they come for our state lands, wonder how the other states will react to our cries for help?
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #27
zjjamie
Senior Member
 
zjjamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-24-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 430
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

WTF!!! Why are they doing this to people!
zjjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #28
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Replies to closing of Public lands to wheeling - 26 with 221 views.
Replies to survey on MI DNR 0 68 with 560 views.
Replies to wedding ring question - 125 with 1,624 views.

Says something about the level of wheelers on the site.
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #29
Trail_Fanatic
Member since 1994
 
Trail_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-25-06
Location: Muskegon and Oceana Counties
Posts: 3,175
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
Replies to closing of Public lands to wheeling - 26 with 221 views.
Replies to survey on MI DNR 0 68 with 560 views.
Replies to wedding ring question - 125 with 1,624 views.

Says something about the level of wheelers on the site.

Apathetic Enthusiasts
(not willing or too lazy
to help with simple things
like letters and surveys) --><-- Enthusiasts working to keep trails open


It's not just here, but around the country. . .
and it's obviously not intentional.
Sometimes the enthusiasts can be more disappointing than the government, eh?
If you ever figure out how to get the majority to pay attention, LET ME KNOW!

Last edited by Trail_Fanatic; May 15th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Trail_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #30
GNJEEPN
Grumpy Grampa
 
GNJEEPN's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-06
Location: Twilight Zone
Posts: 2,320
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I just got a response from Stabincow. What a joke. Typical form response that didn't address anything in the e-mail I sent her.

Thank you . . .



. . for contacting me to share your strong support for protecting the environmental health of our country. I share your convictions.



I am a strong advocate for environmental protections and the preservation of our natural resources. As your United States Senator, I have been proud to make environmental advocacy one of my top priorities.



One significant accomplishment of mine since being elected to the Senate is the passage of legislation, which I first introduced in 2001, to ban oil and gas drilling in the Great Lakes. I am also pleased to report that the Great Lakes Compact was recently signed into law. The Great Lakes Compact provides the region the authority to take local stewardship and responsibility for its water resources. The governors and state legislators have all agreed to the terms?in fact 95% of the legislators voted in favor of the Compact in each state. It sets in place water management laws for each of the Great Lakes states, while at the same time maintaining the federal ban on water diversions. This ban protects the Great Lakes from being sold or diverted from the residents that live there while protecting them for the use and enjoyment of the entire nation. We would never allow other natural wonders such as the Everglades, Yellowstone Park or the Grand Canyon to be sectioned off and sold to the highest bidder, so this Compact also recognizes the needed protection of the Great Lakes. It is the federal protection that our region deserves.



I've also been dedicated to ecosystem management and environmental restoration. Last year, I fought to pass the first water resources bill in seven years. From protecting the Great Lakes from invasive species, to the dredging of recreational harbors across our state, this legislation serves as a critical framework for protecting and maintaining the lakes, rivers, harbors and other waterways that are such a crucial part of Michigan's identity and economy.



As a member of the Agriculture Committee, I was actively involved in writing the farm bill. The agricultural conservation component of this legislation is one of the largest sources of conservation and environmental funding in Congress, preserving wildlife, habitat, and open spaces.



Furthermore, I've utilized my position in the Finance Committee to fight for tax incentives for alternative fuels and improved energy efficiency. Some of these tax incentives include consumer credits for the purchase of hybrid vehicles and tax credits and assist industry in adapting to the new fuel efficiency standard that was mandated in an energy bill.



You can count on my determination to stand up to proposals that would damage wetlands, air quality, or our national parks and wildlife refuges. At the same time, I will continue to fight for additional environmental laws and funding that will help protect public health and the environment for future generations.



Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you or your family.



Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator
GNJEEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #31
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNJEEPN View Post
I just got a response from Stabincow. What a joke. Typical form response that didn't address anything in the e-mail I sent her.

Thank you . . .



. . for contacting me to share your strong support for protecting the environmental health of our country. I share your convictions.



I am a strong advocate for environmental protections and the preservation of our natural resources. As your United States Senator, I have been proud to make environmental advocacy one of my top priorities.



One significant accomplishment of mine since being elected to the Senate is the passage of legislation, which I first introduced in 2001, to ban oil and gas drilling in the Great Lakes. I am also pleased to report that the Great Lakes Compact was recently signed into law. The Great Lakes Compact provides the region the authority to take local stewardship and responsibility for its water resources. The governors and state legislators have all agreed to the terms?in fact 95% of the legislators voted in favor of the Compact in each state. It sets in place water management laws for each of the Great Lakes states, while at the same time maintaining the federal ban on water diversions. This ban protects the Great Lakes from being sold or diverted from the residents that live there while protecting them for the use and enjoyment of the entire nation. We would never allow other natural wonders such as the Everglades, Yellowstone Park or the Grand Canyon to be sectioned off and sold to the highest bidder, so this Compact also recognizes the needed protection of the Great Lakes. It is the federal protection that our region deserves.



I've also been dedicated to ecosystem management and environmental restoration. Last year, I fought to pass the first water resources bill in seven years. From protecting the Great Lakes from invasive species, to the dredging of recreational harbors across our state, this legislation serves as a critical framework for protecting and maintaining the lakes, rivers, harbors and other waterways that are such a crucial part of Michigan's identity and economy.



As a member of the Agriculture Committee, I was actively involved in writing the farm bill. The agricultural conservation component of this legislation is one of the largest sources of conservation and environmental funding in Congress, preserving wildlife, habitat, and open spaces.



Furthermore, I've utilized my position in the Finance Committee to fight for tax incentives for alternative fuels and improved energy efficiency. Some of these tax incentives include consumer credits for the purchase of hybrid vehicles and tax credits and assist industry in adapting to the new fuel efficiency standard that was mandated in an energy bill.



You can count on my determination to stand up to proposals that would damage wetlands, air quality, or our national parks and wildlife refuges. At the same time, I will continue to fight for additional environmental laws and funding that will help protect public health and the environment for future generations.



Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you or your family.



Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator
I got one verbatim from the letter I sent snailmail. I cannot get ahold of anyone in her offices to listen. For the record, I also posted a link that had an automated page to send out letters in the Moab post in the pub.

Silence doesn't always mean apathy.

The thing that frustrates me most is that I have never voted for her, but somehow she keeps getting elected.
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #32
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Typical career politician reply. Long winded, off topic and says absolutely nothing about question asked.
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > Rules, Regulations, Trail, and ORV Park Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.31436 seconds with 56 queries