Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #41
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman784 View Post
what are you talking about dave, why does this negate God? just because something is science does not mean it is anti-God.

I do appreciate you sticking to your guns, but it's worthwhile to pick your fights.
His intent it to prove that the world came about without the mighty hand of God. Taking God out of the equation is a theme across the board with those in rebellion against God. String theory is the uber educated man's attempt. Keep in mind that if you are not for God, you are against him. So I would advise you to see things more deeply to understand the underlying intent on what is being done. To live without God by finding the answer without him in it, it is a means of justification, a way to make sense of things.

I am commenting on what I see, not trying to pick fights. I have to say it because I hear the dude acknoledge that what he is saying is full of holes and is essentially fantasy. No doubt the guy is a brainiac, but he is no different from the common man who has faith, or the Christian man who has faith (I am speaking in terms of degree of empirical truth).
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #42
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,683
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3db3ar View Post
As soon as they can test the big bang theory.....we're all dead
lol

And that is why his theory will never be solved. But he says it may take millions of years to solve it, which is the same hogwash from the evolutionary scientists (well we don't have all the answers now, but in a few million years we will!).
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #43
smasheromalley
Senior Member
 
smasheromalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
You're my hero......
x2
smasheromalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #44
shaker
In the band!
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: West Branch
Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
His intent it to prove that the world came about without the mighty hand of God. Taking God out of the equation is a theme across the board with those in rebellion against God. String theory is the uber educated man's attempt. Keep in mind that if you are not for God, you are against him. So I would advise you to see things more deeply to understand the underlying intent on what is being done. To live without God by finding the answer without him in it, it is a means of justification, a way to make sense of things.

I am commenting on what I see, not trying to pick fights. I have to say it because I hear the dude acknoledge that what he is saying is full of holes and is essentially fantasy. No doubt the guy is a brainiac, but he is no different from the common man who has faith, or the Christian man who has faith (I am speaking in terms of degree of empirical truth).

I agree, that to believe completely in the string theory takes a leap of faith as well. Which is why I do not believe it completely. But I disagree with the you are with God or against God. Science is not a giant conspiracy against your God. I do not believe in God or much of anything the bible says, because I believe the story's in the bible to be unbelievable, not because some one else's theory is more believable.
shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #45
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker View Post
I agree, that to believe completely in the string theory takes a leap of faith as well. Which is why I do not believe it completely. But I disagree with the you are with God or against God. Science is not a giant conspiracy against your God. I do not believe in God or much of anything the bible says, because I believe the story's in the bible to be unbelievable, not because some one else's theory is more believable.

Quote:
Revelation 3:16

So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
I believe this is an area were Post Modernistic thinking doesn't fit. It's either one or another and there really isn't any way around this.

On science, I believe that most science can be used to Glorify God. A Science like String theory (from what I've gathered) Is a Science that is trying to replace God with Science. For Believers it doesn't work. Science can't be an idol, And when you replace God with something, You're making it an idol.
For the Non-Believer It is just another Justification to keep living life in thier fallen state. That state may be fun and not really all that bad in the Eyes of the Beholder; but to someone that knows the eternal truth of Christ, That life is Death. That is why we're here, You can be the best person in the world. Do everything right (Humanly Possible), and still not be FOR GOD. There is a place to draw the line.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #46
shaker
In the band!
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: West Branch
Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I believe this is an area were Post Modernistic thinking doesn't fit. It's either one or another and there really isn't any way around this.

On science, I believe that most science can be used to Glorify God. A Science like String theory (from what I've gathered) Is a Science that is trying to replace God with Science. For Believers it doesn't work. Science can't be an idol, And when you replace God with something, You're making it an idol.
For the Non-Believer It is just another Justification to keep living life in thier fallen state. That state may be fun and not really all that bad in the Eyes of the Beholder; but to someone that knows the eternal truth of Christ, That life is Death. That is why we're here, You can be the best person in the world. Do everything right (Humanly Possible), and still not be FOR GOD. There is a place to draw the line.


In that case, consider me against God.
shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #47
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I believe this is an area were Post Modernistic thinking doesn't fit. It's either one or another and there really isn't any way around this.

On science, I believe that most science can be used to Glorify God. A Science like String theory (from what I've gathered) Is a Science that is trying to replace God with Science. For Believers it doesn't work. Science can't be an idol, And when you replace God with something, You're making it an idol.
For the Non-Believer It is just another Justification to keep living life in thier fallen state. That state may be fun and not really all that bad in the Eyes of the Beholder; but to someone that knows the eternal truth of Christ, That life is Death. That is why we're here, You can be the best person in the world. Do everything right (Humanly Possible), and still not be FOR GOD. There is a place to draw the line.
String theory is no different than any other science from the past few thousands of years. It's merely man trying to understand the world in which he lives. Theres nothing that they will find that the religions folks won't be able to explain away as "the amazing works of God".
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #48
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,983
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
String theory is no different than any other science from the past few thousands of years. It's merely man trying to understand the world in which he lives. Theres nothing that they will find that the religions folks won't be able to explain away as "the amazing works of God".
Truth.
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #49
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This thread makes me LOL.

How did string theory and God become mutually exclusive?

String theory is attempting to explain the how not the who. It could be argued that string theory, if accurate, is the explaination of how God created the universe, or not.

Either right or wrong, it doesn't prove or disprove the existance of God either way.
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #50
shaker
In the band!
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: West Branch
Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
This thread makes me LOL.

How did string theory and God become mutually exclusive?

String theory is attempting to explain the how not the who. It could be argued that string theory, if accurate, is the explaination of how God created the universe, or not.

Either right or wrong, it doesn't prove or disprove the existance of God either way.
Shut up, all science is a conspiracy to take down Christianity.
shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #51
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker View Post
In that case, consider me against God.

Alrighty then. BTW, Not a Place I would want to be. But if you think that's best for you....Go ahead.


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
String theory is no different than any other science from the past few thousands of years. It's merely man trying to understand the world in which he lives. Theres nothing that they will find that the religions folks won't be able to explain away as "the amazing works of God".
Partically true. I mean, if (Big if) they find something that can solidify Evoultionary Claims, then there will be a issue with Science and religion. I don't see Science as negitive. As I stated above, The problem with Sciences like String thoery, Evoultion, Aliens from another planet, ETC, is that they have the Ability to Replace God in peoples lives. That doesn't mean they will, But the people who are looking for a way to do whatever they want will cling to those Threories so that they can live however they want with no accountablity to a Higher Creator. This is a problem for me, and I truly believe that is why our country is going the way it is.

Truth is that people replace God with uncounted amounts of stuff on a daily basis. It's sad. I think that Sciences that allow this kind of Behavior to be Justified are not generally a good thing.


PS....JMO
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #52
shaker
In the band!
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: West Branch
Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Alrighty then. BTW, Not a Place I would want to be. But if you think that's best for you....Go ahead.
So you worship God out of fear? I heard that leaves you no better off then me, but good luck with that.
shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #53
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Alrighty then. BTW, Not a Place I would want to be. But if you think that's best for you....Go ahead.




Partically true. I mean, if (Big if) they find something that can solidify Evoultionary Claims, then there will be a issue with Science and religion. I don't see Science as negitive. As I stated above, The problem with Sciences like String thoery, Evoultion, Aliens from another planet, ETC, is that they have the Ability to Replace God in peoples lives. That doesn't mean they will, But the people who are looking for a way to do whatever they want will cling to those Threories so that they can live however they want with no accountablity to a Higher Creator. This is a problem for me, and I truly believe that is why our country is going the way it is.

Truth is that people replace God with uncounted amounts of stuff on a daily basis. It's sad. I think that Sciences that allow this kind of Behavior to be Justified are not generally a good thing.


PS....JMO
Careful. It sound to me like you’re getting dangerously close to admitting that the reason you want people to believe in God is so that you can use that belief to control them with fear. Your skeptics would love that. I worry about people who only do the “right” thing because they fear God. Are you really so morally bankrupt that the fear of God punishment is the only thing keeping you in line?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #54
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Careful. It sound to me like you’re getting dangerously close to admitting that the reason you want people to believe in God is so that you can use that belief to control them with fear. Your skeptics would love that. I worry about people who only do the “right” thing because they fear God. Are you really so morally bankrupt that the fear of God punishment is the only thing keeping you in line?
Oh snap!
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #55
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Careful. It sound to me like you’re getting dangerously close to admitting that the reason you want people to believe in God is so that you can use that belief to control them with fear. Your skeptics would love that. I worry about people who only do the “right” thing because they fear God. Are you really so morally bankrupt that the fear of God punishment is the only thing keeping you in line?
Absoultly not! I agree completely that fear is not a method to bring people to God. I've stated many times That I believe that he would rather have a Loving relationship with his Followers. I have a very large issue with Churches that Preach Fire and Brimstone. I was just mearly stating that being agianst a God that formed the Universe and us really isn't a place I'd want to be. I fear God out of Respect of his Awesome Power. I don't fear God out of Fear of hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker View Post
So you worship God out of fear? I heard that leaves you no better off then me, but good luck with that.
Nope I worship him because of all he's Given to me, all he has in store for me, and all that he does through me. LIke I said above, I fear God because of his Awesome Power. I Love him because he sent his only son so that we could become heirs to the thrown of Heaven. Fear is not a Bad thing in the context I accept it. It is in the Context that alot of Churhes use it today.

Last edited by L4CX; March 30th, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #56
jeepman784
Now pedals a bicycle
 
jeepman784's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: grand rapids area, michigan
Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepman784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
His intent it to prove that the world came about without the mighty hand of God. Taking God out of the equation is a theme across the board with those in rebellion against God. String theory is the uber educated man's attempt. So it is ok to believe in atoms and quarks, which are generally accepted knowledge in the christian and secular scientific community as the basic building blocks of all matter, but it is anti-God to believe that something makes up such atomic particles?


Keep in mind that if you are not for God, you are against him. So I would advise you to see things more deeply to understand the underlying intent on what is being done. To live without God by finding the answer without him in it, it is a means of justification, a way to make sense of things. Trying to understand this statement. When i hear, the heavens declare the glory of God, and the earth shows his handiwork, i think it is a call to investigate the amazing and intricate methods by which he stitched this universe togather.

I am commenting on what I see, not trying to pick fights. I have to say it because I hear the dude acknoledge that what he is saying is full of holes and is essentially fantasy.you are saying that string theory is fantasy? No doubt the guy is a brainiac, but he is no different from the common man who has faith, or the Christian man who has faith (I am speaking in terms of degree of empirical truth).
see above
jeepman784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright ©2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.26723 seconds with 42 queries