Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ford 5.4 EGR delete?

19K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  04 EDGE 
#1 ·
Hey,

I was wondering what it would take to remove the EGR system from my 98 F150. Is it as simple as plugging the hole on the manifold and blocking off the port where the EGR connects to the intake? Im sure itll get pissed and throw some codes but how exactly does one do this? Thanks.

#2 ·
I just blocked off mine yesterday. It's a 93 ranger, 2.3 but an egr is an egr. I used a stainless steel light switch blank plate from lowes. They cost like $1.45 so it's worth it to use stainless. I flattened it with a hammer and vise. Then I put the gasket over it, marked out the two holes. Drilled them out, and bolted the whole thing back together. On the intake side I used rtv, cause I'm cheap, but a new gasket for both sides would be recommended.

#3 ·
are you having a problem with the system?

you will gain nothing from blocking it off but a check engine light and a computer that will start dumping extra fuel into the engine.

#8 ·
Yea, reasoning for a motive on this one would have probably been helpful. In a nutshell I had to replace my engine and my tube was fubared from 200k miles and rust and I was trying to save money by bypassing it but everyone above is right, it'd be pretty pointless, which I didn't realize. Thanks :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.