trails in northern illinois? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > GPS tracks and trails
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

GPS tracks and trails 4x4 trails and destination coordinates

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #1
91explorer
Newbie
 
Join Date: 01-30-09
Location: wonder lake, il
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default trails in northern illinois?

heard of one in rockford goin up in 06, no word tho, and its 09, funny huh? lol im building my explorer and wanna have fun, beat the piss outa it, fix it nice, and then have more fun while not beating the piss outa it, lol. does anyone know of a damn trail in the northern illinois area, im in wonder lake, il, and thats by woodstock, harvard, huntly, johnsburg, richmond, i can go on all day and not laeave 30 miles!
thanks guys
91explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

your kinda in the same boat as Michigan, all our trails are in the north even though the state passed legislation 10 years ago to build a southern michigan riding area (they need 450+ acres) . worse yet we lost our right to ride in our rec areas which are all over back in `91. so as far as Illinois goes I really don't know what your up againest other then your government has issues
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Cooter
Dad Kickin' It OldSkool
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Chi-caw-go
Posts: 4,520
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

The Cliffs
__________________
Michigan- The Only Great Lakes State South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #4
chevy79k5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-08-09
Location: libertyville IL
Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

clifs or badlands there is also some trails in crystal lake off 31
chevy79k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Bton
Senior Member
 
Bton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-29-09
Location: Grandville,MI/ but now Crystal lake,IL
Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'm movine to Crystal Lake. Where are these trails you speak of. I've looked on Google maps in satalite view and thought I found some. Do you have to enter at a warehouse or apartment complex thing? that's what it looked like to me. and it looked like there was a sand pit.
Bton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #6
chevy79k5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-08-09
Location: libertyville IL
Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i ant been to them befor i have just been told that they are off 31 by the old fokes home.
chevy79k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Mug_face
Member
 
Join Date: 11-01-09
Location: Hoffman Estates illinois
Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Wondering if any one found those trails off 31. I did happen to find some in barrtlet that are pretty nice.
Mug_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #8
cesarcal
Newbie
 
Join Date: 11-20-09
Location: Mundelein/ IL
Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I am in the same boat would like to go have a little fun but dont want to make the 2- 6 hour trek to The Cliffs or The badlands. Anyone know where else there may be something up in this area?
cesarcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Chuckler3
Member
 
Join Date: 10-20-09
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

interested as well..
Chuckler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM   #10
chevy79k5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-08-09
Location: libertyville IL
Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

the trails in crystal lake are no good. i have come to find out the hard way that it isnot open to public. but they are nice trails. there are also some more in north chicago off rt41 acrose frome full moon resterant.
chevy79k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #11
cesarcal
Newbie
 
Join Date: 11-20-09
Location: Mundelein/ IL
Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have been to the ones on rte 41 once but that was a few years ago when the jeep I now own was my brothers. My biggest concern now is if it is legal to go back there?
cesarcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #12
chevy79k5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-08-09
Location: libertyville IL
Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i have never got in any trouble back there and i ahve gona back sence i was 16 now 25. so im not realy sure
chevy79k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:28 AM   #13
2010jeeper
Newbie
 
Join Date: 12-22-09
Location: Sugar Grove IL
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Hey

somebody in here said they got caught up at the trails in Crystal Lake??? what was the penalty for being out there?? if it isnt to harsh its worth the shot in going up there for the day!!
2010jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #14
chevy79k5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-08-09
Location: libertyville IL
Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

its was $350 each person they were trustpassing tickets. IT IS NOT OPEN TO PUBLIC AND THE COPS DO WATCH IT>
chevy79k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #15
88Chev
Newbie
 
88Chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-10
Location: Mount Prospect, IL.
Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 88Chev Send a message via Skype™ to 88Chev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91explorer View Post
heard of one in rockford goin up in 06, no word tho, and its 09, funny huh? lol im building my explorer and wanna have fun, beat the piss outa it, fix it nice, and then have more fun while not beating the piss outa it, lol. does anyone know of a damn trail in the northern illinois area, im in wonder lake, il, and thats by woodstock, harvard, huntly, johnsburg, richmond, i can go on all day and not laeave 30 miles!
thanks guys
Hey, I found a spot outside of Rockford, near belvedere. :) Travel down Newburg Rd., heading to Belvedere and after about 15 minutes or so of driving down, you will see a little sign on the side of the road, with a gravel driveway and a beaten up house. That house is abandoned, and so are the like 10 barns on the property. There are trails running ALL THE WAY back into the woods and forest, where you are no where near the road, so you do not have to worry. :) And the trails keep going, and there are a few dips with puddles I took my gf's tracker through. There is another spot down the road, but it floods bad. You better go with a second person...I'm taking my truck this weekend, So anyone can feel free to message me if they are in the area.

If you message me back, I go out to Rockford on the weekends. I am actually going out there on Saturday, to see my gf and my daughter. Text me at (847)343-1770, and we can meet up and I'll show you where it's at.

Last edited by 88Chev; May 27th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
88Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #16
88Chev
Newbie
 
88Chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-10
Location: Mount Prospect, IL.
Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 88Chev Send a message via Skype™ to 88Chev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bton View Post
I'm movine to Crystal Lake. Where are these trails you speak of. I've looked on Google maps in satalite view and thought I found some. Do you have to enter at a warehouse or apartment complex thing? that's what it looked like to me. and it looked like there was a sand pit.
Yes. BUT!! BE WARNED. The off road spot is HUUUUGE!! Yet the No Trespassing signs are HUGE too...It's 350 dollars if you are caught. It's called, "The Fountains". You can enter off Rt. 176 at SEVERAL areas, or off of Rt. 31 as well, in multiple areas. But there are huge fines now.....My friend found out the hard way.
88Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Navy99tahoe
Newbie
 
Navy99tahoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-29-12
Location: Great lakes, Illinois (North Chicago)
Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Full Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy79k5 View Post
the trails in crystal lake are no good. i have come to find out the hard way that it isnot open to public. but they are nice trails. there are also some more in north chicago off rt41 acrose frome full moon resterant.
I've seen the opening to those trails at 41 and 137 (i live right next to it in forrestal housing) and wanted to go back there but didnt know how far back it went. i looked at it on google earth and it looks like it goes about a mile and a half then theres train tracks and a golf course. is there more back there that just a short level trail?
Navy99tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #18
Navy99tahoe
Newbie
 
Navy99tahoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-29-12
Location: Great lakes, Illinois (North Chicago)
Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

hey guys from northern Illinois we should all get together and head out to the cliff some weekend in July or august. i just got into 4X4 driving and i really want to get some dirt on my tires but as we can all see there inst anywhere we can go near here without worrying about getting a ticket. does any one know of a club in our area for off road fiends?
Navy99tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #19
BlackCat914
Newbie
 
Join Date: 08-07-12
Location: Mundelein, IL.
Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy99tahoe View Post
hey guys from northern Illinois we should all get together and head out to the cliff some weekend in July or august. i just got into 4X4 driving and i really want to get some dirt on my tires but as we can all see there inst anywhere we can go near here without worrying about getting a ticket. does any one know of a club in our area for off road fiends?
I'm game. I still want to check out that place off of RT41, too.
BlackCat914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #20
jmjargz
Newbie
 
Join Date: 10-04-12
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Chev View Post
Hey, I found a spot outside of Rockford, near belvedere. :) Travel down Newburg Rd., heading to Belvedere and after about 15 minutes or so of driving down, you will see a little sign on the side of the road, with a gravel driveway and a beaten up house. That house is abandoned, and so are the like 10 barns on the property. There are trails running ALL THE WAY back into the woods and forest, where you are no where near the road, so you do not have to worry. :) And the trails keep going, and there are a few dips with puddles I took my gf's tracker through. There is another spot down the road, but it floods bad. You better go with a second person...I'm taking my truck this weekend, So anyone can feel free to message me if they are in the area.

If you message me back, I go out to Rockford on the weekends. I am actually going out there on Saturday, to see my gf and my daughter. Text me at (847)343-1770, and we can meet up and I'll show you where it's at.
wondering where the trails are?? last time I was in Belvedere I stopped by where your description was and it was just farm plants
jmjargz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > GPS tracks and trails

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.43082 seconds with 80 queries