Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #21
ricmitch
Senior Member
 
ricmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-06
Location: Howell Mi.
Posts: 194
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have a fridge in the garage.. If I remember correctly water bottles in the fridge (in winter) will not freeze but If I leave a case next to the fridge the will freeze.. can the cold temps hurt the fridge?
ricmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #22
Fuel Fire Desire
Mall Crawler
 
Fuel Fire Desire's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-01-08
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,632
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
at least you know ammonia is there and if you burn it you dont die f#^& freon


Pffft, sissy. Phosgene is good for you.
Fuel Fire Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM   #23
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,026
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
Pffft, sissy. Phosgene is good for you.
i love the dumbshits that smoke a cigarette while cutting open a freon line.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:04 PM   #24
Fuel Fire Desire
Mall Crawler
 
Fuel Fire Desire's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-01-08
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,632
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
i love the dumbshits that smoke a cigarette while cutting open a freon line.
I guess they figure they can dodge the toxic green fumes.
Fuel Fire Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM   #25
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,383
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Hey Shawn? did you see the U of M just bought your old building at Phizer? you might get to go home.
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM   #26
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Milford/Commerce
Posts: 9,939
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
at least you know ammonia is there and if you burn it you dont die f#^& freon
I don't know of anybody that has been killed by any CFC, HCFC, or HFC. Now, for amonia, there have been plenty of people killed by it. And not just by inhalation/affixiation. Amonia has explosive properties even though DOT does not list its hazard as Flamable or Explosive (but that may have changed in the last couple years). Some people (I think Fire Fighters IIRC) were killed as they entered a cold storage facility with an amonia leak, there was a source of ignition with just the right concentration of air and amonia and the whole place blew up.

I'll stick with freon, thankx.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM   #27
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Milford/Commerce
Posts: 9,939
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
Hey Shawn? did you see the U of M just bought your old building at Phizer? you might get to go home.
Yeah, pretty crazy eh? My boss was just telling me today that I'm going to be the go to guy for that facility. Well, duh!
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM   #28
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,026
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I don't know of anybody that has been killed by any CFC, HCFC, or HFC. Now, for amonia, there have been plenty of people killed by it. And not just by inhalation/affixiation. Amonia has explosive properties even though DOT does not list its hazard as Flamable or Explosive (but that may have changed in the last couple years). Some people (I think Fire Fighters IIRC) were killed as they entered a cold storage facility with an amonia leak, there was a source of ignition with just the right concentration of air and amonia and the whole place blew up.

I'll stick with freon, thankx.
we rebuilt a cherry plant in traverse city that blew up. the plant manager hit a float column on the recirc vessel with a fork truck. it caught a spark and went boom! it was strange though, from 4 foot down the room was perfect. trash cans werent melted or anything but above that copper joints were melted apart. the back half of the building came down and the roof was f#$%ed up to say the least! for ammonia to explode it has to be at 16 to 24 percent ammonia to air.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM   #29
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,734
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
we rebuilt a cherry plant in traverse city that blew up. the plant manager hit a float column on the recirc vessel with a fork truck. it caught a spark and went boom! it was strange though, from 4 foot down the room was perfect. trash cans werent melted or anything but above that copper joints were melted apart. the back half of the building came down and the roof was f#$%ed up to say the least! for ammonia to explode it has to be at 16 to 24 percent ammonia to air.

Freon or 134a isn't even flammable and R406, in certain very remote circumstances, could be. Whats the problem?
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.13353 seconds with 28 queries