Choose Duty Station? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #1
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Choose Duty Station?

Considering the army, and recieving conflicting opinions on whether or not you can specify your first duty station on your contract.

I know it may depend on mos, but I scored so high on the test I could pick any mos. Thoughts? Experiences?
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #2
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,587
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Not sure about the Army, but in the Marine Corps you can pick a general geographic location (e.g. East Coast, West Coast, or OCONUS which is usually Japan but a few other places are included). There are also a few MOSs which are only put to work at certain bases so that is always something to inquire about. Of course, there are probably 100x as many places that you could be sent to in the Army compared to the Marine Corps (and they probably have 10x as many active duty folks)...

I think that I have heard that the Army is pretty similar, especially for your first duty station.

Just be sure that if your recruiter tells you one thing, that you GET IT IN WRITING on your DD Form 4 (enlistment document), because that is the only form that is going to mean anything.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #3
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Make them put the duty station that you want in your contract. Get it in writing in the contract.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #4
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Make them put the duty station that you want in your contract. Get it in writing in the contract.
That's what i'm thinking, if they say they can't i'll start to walk and call their bluff. Schofield here I come!
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #5
pumpshop4
USMC
 
pumpshop4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: Midland Mi. 48640
Posts: 1,336
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

As far as the Marines go you could pick 3 preferences but you go were they tell you. Right now I think the Army has Iraq, Afghanistan or a shit whole third world country to be named later. When I enlisted in the Marines in 86 I had California in writing. So when I was sent to Okinawa right out of school I was surprised. I was informed that USMC stands for " U Signed the MOTER FING CONTRACT" . I do not care what people tell you once you sign the papers you are government property. And just remember your best friend the recruiter will not even remember you. So if you go back to question anything he will remind you that he is s Staff Sargent and you are a private and tell you to go away.
pumpshop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #6
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpshop4 View Post
As far as the Marines go you could pick 3 preferences but you go were they tell you. Right now I think the Army has Iraq, Afghanistan or a shit whole third world country to be named later. When I enlisted in the Marines in 86 I had California in writing. So when I was sent to Okinawa right out of school I was surprised. I was informed that USMC stands for " U Signed the MOTER FING CONTRACT" . I do not care what people tell you once you sign the papers you are government property. And just remember your best friend the recruiter will not even remember you. So if you go back to question anything he will remind you that he is s Staff Sargent and you are a private and tell you to go away.
That's why i'm not going for the Marines If they resist putting it in writing so hard, that must mean there's something to it, right?
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #7
jeepnxj96
Senior Member
 
jeepnxj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: Allegan,Mi
Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
That's what i'm thinking, if they say they can't i'll start to walk and call their bluff. Schofield here I come!
My little brother is in the 25th infantry at Schofield, which is currently deployed to northern Iraq. When he re-upped he put Hawaii as his first choice and got it. When he enlisted his first duty station was Ft. Hood with 4 I.D. Schofield is a nice post, they have alot of new military housing going up and you are about half way between North Shore and Honolulu
jeepnxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #8
pumpshop4
USMC
 
pumpshop4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: Midland Mi. 48640
Posts: 1,336
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
That's why i'm not going for the Marines If they resist putting it in writing so hard, that must mean there's something to it, right?
My ex brother in-law is a recruiter for the army. I fell out of my chair laughing when my oldest boy told me his uncles sales pitch. I served my country and have no regrets. But I have seen so many people promised many things. Remember that guy that was drafted by the Lions out of West point? The Army had promised those kids that if they were drafted they would let them go. But when the time came the Army said no. My best friends son played football at West Point and the coach sat right at there kitchen table and told him the same thing. If you enlist good luck and I support you just protect yourself.
pumpshop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #9
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnxj96 View Post
My little brother is in the 25th infantry at Schofield, which is currently deployed to northern Iraq. When he re-upped he put Hawaii as his first choice and got it. When he enlisted his first duty station was Ft. Hood with 4 I.D. Schofield is a nice post, they have alot of new military housing going up and you are about half way between North Shore and Honolulu
Thanks, I'd rather not deploy to the middle east, but that's definately part of the deal. Hope your bro's doing well over there. My little bro said he'd enlist if I did
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Shakr
formerly square eyed rio
 
Shakr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 548
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Back in the mid 80's when I went in the army I got a primary and a secondary choice of duty station...I did not get either , in fact after AIT I got orders to Germany so I took some leave and when I returned after selling all my shit to buy some good German stuff I was re shuffled to lousiana ..I did get to mud bog a few times and got to like the cajon food.
Shakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #11
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakr View Post
Back in the mid 80's when I went in the army I got a primary and a secondary choice of duty station...I did not get either , in fact after AIT I got orders to Germany so I took some leave and when I returned after selling all my shit to buy some good German stuff I was re shuffled to lousiana ..I did get to mud bog a few times and got to like the cajon food.
Did you have them in your contract, or were they on your "wish list"? I've heard all about the wish list. lol
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #12
jeepnxj96
Senior Member
 
jeepnxj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-07
Location: Allegan,Mi
Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISHOWJEEPER View Post
Thanks, I'd rather not deploy to the middle east, but that's definately part of the deal. Hope your bro's doing well over there. My little bro said he'd enlist if I did
make sure parents are up for that, it is real hard for some back home, especially if you and your bro are the only kids your parents have. anyway thanks for your commitment and I wish you and your bro the best of luck
jeepnxj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #13
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnxj96 View Post
make sure parents are up for that, it is real hard for some back home, especially if you and your bro are the only kids your parents have. anyway thanks for your commitment and I wish you and your bro the best of luck
Thank you, our mom passed years ago, my dad's not gonna sweat it too bad, i'm 28, my little bro's 20 and needs the discipline, and we've got plenty of siblings.
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Cooter
Dad Kickin' It OldSkool
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Chi-caw-go
Posts: 4,517
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpshop4 View Post
My ex brother in-law is a recruiter for the army. I fell out of my chair laughing when my oldest boy told me his uncles sales pitch. I served my country and have no regrets. But I have seen so many people promised many things. Remember that guy that was drafted by the Lions out of West point? The Army had promised those kids that if they were drafted they would let them go. But when the time came the Army said no. My best friends son played football at West Point and the coach sat right at there kitchen table and told him the same thing. If you enlist good luck and I support you just protect yourself.
Umm, no. Not really.

The DoD made them change their policy, since the Navy and Air Force complained.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...21581772_x.htm
__________________
Michigan- The Only Great Lakes State South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #15
pumpshop4
USMC
 
pumpshop4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: Midland Mi. 48640
Posts: 1,336
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Hey I got to spend the Christmas of 86 at Mount Fuji Japan. Of course I was walking circles in a blizzard guarding the armory with a foot of snow on my helmet. And for Christmas of 87 I spent 3 weeks freezing my butt off in Korea. Of course 3 months in Panama during rain season was a good time.
pumpshop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #16
pumpshop4
USMC
 
pumpshop4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: Midland Mi. 48640
Posts: 1,336
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
Umm, no. Not really.

The DoD made them change their policy, since the Navy and Air Force complained.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...21581772_x.htm
But the Army did promise him. Policy change or not.
pumpshop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #17
Cooter
Dad Kickin' It OldSkool
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Chi-caw-go
Posts: 4,517
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpshop4 View Post
But the Army did promise him. Policy change or not.
Yeah, and they couldn't. They made a huge deal about him being able to defer duty. Do you think they did that on purpose so that they could get bad press when it was taken away?
__________________
Michigan- The Only Great Lakes State South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Steve-in-Petoskey
Looking to ride
 
Steve-in-Petoskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-07
Location: Petoskey area
Posts: 1,718
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve-in-Petoskey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Make them put the duty station that you want in your contract. Get it in writing in the contract.
X2 get it in writing, no promises.
Steve-in-Petoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #19
pumpshop4
USMC
 
pumpshop4's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: Midland Mi. 48640
Posts: 1,336
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
Yeah, and they couldn't. They made a huge deal about him being able to defer duty. Do you think they did that on purpose so that they could get bad press when it was taken away?
All I am saying is do not let them promise you anything. I have seen many people enlist on promises that were not kept. I seen a lot of guys in my 4 years in the Marines not get what they were told. That is my personal experience as someone who has served.
pumpshop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #20
Cooter
Dad Kickin' It OldSkool
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Chi-caw-go
Posts: 4,517
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpshop4 View Post
All I am saying is do not let them promise you anything. I have seen many people enlist on promises that were not kept. I seen a lot of guys in my 4 years in the Marines not get what they were told. That is my personal experience as someone who has served.
I agree with that.

Just getting the facts straight on the Caleb Campbell case.
__________________
Michigan- The Only Great Lakes State South of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.35468 seconds with 80 queries