Gas under $1.00 soon? - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM   #61
C.K.
Dont Feed the Cyco
 
C.K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 48386
Posts: 17,301
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Our roads will still suck because they're too cheap to make them as thick as they should be. I've always heard that John Carlos which does a lot of the roads always skimps on some of the requirements. Who knows if there is any truth to that.
It wasant intended as a shot at you. You might be correct on the to thin.

Last time I checked we have the same weather as Toledo. Their roads are way better than ours. I think the gas tax down there is lower than ours and they manage to fix them the correct way.
C.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM   #62
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Scrambler View Post
You can literally blame the condition of our roads in part on the unions. The technology and engineering to build high quality roads has been around for a long time. Roads in the UK are built to last for more than 30 years, and they do. They have the same weather as many parts of the US. We don't use that technology and engineering. Our roads are designed to last less than 10 years. Why? If you build roads that last 30+ years, you don't need to employ as many road crews to build roads, repave roads, patch potholes, fix cracks, etc... Roads in MI are worse than average due to the weight of trucks as discussed above. I've also wondered about the conspiracy theory that MI roads are let fall apart because that results in cars wearing out faster. That in turn results in more new car sales. I doubt it could ever be proven, but I always wonder.
It wouldn't shock me at all.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM   #63
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,081
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
It wouldn't shock me at all.
x2/2
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM   #64
scottie
American Leyland??
 
scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: not in Georgia
Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scottie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
It wouldn't shock me at all.

And we love to put salt on our roads for the same reason, especially since Detroit is a big salt mine.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM   #65
AWK
Senior Member
 
AWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: Chesterfield
Posts: 628
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
And we love to put salt on our roads for the same reason, especially since Detroit is a big salt mine.
Question? Do they still mine salt under Detroit? I know they use to, just curious if they still do. Of so, where is the opening of the mine?

AWK
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:00 PM   #66
hman1991
Senior Member
 
hman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-04-06
Location: Holland Michigan
Posts: 474
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to hman1991
Default

i was in pennsylvania on wednesday and it was $2.19 a gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
What is the tax in a gallon of gas?

I think I saw in Pennsylvania it is like $.80/gallon for federal/state tax (although I could have misread the sticker while getting gas and hurrying to the airport)
hman1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM   #67
yellowjeeperman
The N3rd
 
yellowjeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-16-06
Location: Birch Run/Clarkston, Mi
Posts: 5,871
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
It's to take care of the roads though. I hate higher taxes, but Christ the roads need to be improved.
So because people buy more fuel efficient vehicles or get these new battery powered vehicles when they come out don't have to pay road tax?
yellowjeeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:34 PM   #68
Brods
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Salem, Mi
Posts: 704
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Tax is all f up.
Fed = 18.4 cents/gal
MI = 19 cents/gal + 6% sales tax + 0.875 cent/gal for some environmental fee. Kind of seems like double dipping. A flat tax AND a sales tax?

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeeperman View Post
So because people buy more fuel efficient vehicles or get these new battery powered vehicles when they come out don't have to pay road tax?
Oh they have that covered. See mileage based taxes: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...20-roads_N.htm
Brods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:40 PM   #69
yellowjeeperman
The N3rd
 
yellowjeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-16-06
Location: Birch Run/Clarkston, Mi
Posts: 5,871
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brods View Post
Tax is all f up.
Fed = 18.4 cents/gal
MI = 19 cents/gal + 6% sales tax + 0.875 cent/gal for some environmental fee. Kind of seems like double dipping. A flat tax AND a sales tax?

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

Oh they have that covered. See mileage based taxes: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...20-roads_N.htm
Okay so if this works what are they going to do? Stop taxing gasoline and charge based on miles? What about people driving older vehicles? Are they going to be forced to buy something to pay this replacement road tax? What about me and the fact that my speedo is way off because I have larger tires and didn't regear? ( Hey wait! I like the sound of that. Getting charged way less than the miles actually driven! Nevermind! )
yellowjeeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:01 AM   #70
Brods
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Salem, Mi
Posts: 704
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The only question I can answer is the larger tires. At least one of the methods uses GPS, not your odometer, and sends the data automatically to big brother. Yuck.
Brods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM   #71
yellowjeeperman
The N3rd
 
yellowjeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-16-06
Location: Birch Run/Clarkston, Mi
Posts: 5,871
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brods View Post
The only question I can answer is the larger tires. At least one of the methods uses GPS, not your odometer, and sends the data automatically to big brother. Yuck.
Yes I just read that too after looking at the article you sent me. I'm sure people are going to love to be tracked to pay taxes.
yellowjeeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM   #72
Sol Goode
Obama Nation!
 
Sol Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Curt1656 & Scooters love castle
Posts: 14,529
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hman1991 View Post
i was in pennsylvania on wednesday and it was $2.19 a gallon.
Not sure what your point is. I was there yesterday and paid $1.99
__________________
#YOLO
#meballsohard
Sol Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM   #73
Bishop
Senior Member
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-12-07
Location: brighton, atlanta, MI
Posts: 3,590
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bishop
Default

----------------PRICE*CHANGE-% CHANGE-TIME
Nymex Crude Future 39.52 -.39 -.98 04:23
Dated Brent Spot 38.80 .21 .55 04:53
WTI Cushing Spot 31.41 -2.46 -7.26 12/22
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM   #74
RockyMTN05
Cadillac pimpin
 
RockyMTN05's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-02-07
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 3,632
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RockyMTN05
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrifrocks2005 View Post
----------------PRICE*CHANGE-% CHANGE-TIME
Nymex Crude Future 39.52 -.39 -.98 04:23
Dated Brent Spot 38.80 .21 .55 04:53
WTI Cushing Spot 31.41 -2.46 -7.26 12/22
Unless Upcocktoy or Sol Goode can produce a post that says otherwise, I believe everything CC posts.
RockyMTN05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM   #75
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,759
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrifrocks2005 View Post
----------------PRICE*CHANGE-% CHANGE-TIME
Nymex Crude Future 39.52 -.39 -.98 04:23

yeah!!!

Now only if I lived in cushing, oklahoma.



And it's a $1.18 already in parts of the country.
http://www.wyominggasprices.com/
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM   #76
Just a Spouse
Motrcytman's spouse
 
Just a Spouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lake View, AL
Posts: 7,176
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Gas was $1.55 on the way to work this morning here...
Just a Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #77
Marine_mike
SNSHTF
 
Marine_mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-08
Location: Mount Clemens/MI
Posts: 1,975
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Here's my theory, It is a well proven conspiracy fact that the auto industry and the oil companies are in kahutes. With all the ppl buying huge SUV, and trucks in the last 3-4 years.. it opened up the opportunity for oil prices to go way up.. because ppl were locked into these vehicles. Well when that changes...the oil companies suddenly started to take a hit. When ppl actually drove less..... they hurt the oil gurues. Well now that the big three are heading to shitzville.... the oil companies are trying to boost sales by dropping fuel costs and increasing demand for oil. That's my conspiracy theory.
__________________
Click this link ---> http://www.gunwatcher.com/c/5751 is having a HUGE giveaway at the end of December 2014!
Marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM   #78
MotoX5874
unbound
 
MotoX5874's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-27-07
Location: `
Posts: 790
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i think i got it for 1.54 or 1.59 last night, i can't remember. i'm loving it though, $20 got me just over a half tank from empty
MotoX5874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #79
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,845
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWK View Post
Question? Do they still mine salt under Detroit? I know they use to, just curious if they still do. Of so, where is the opening of the mine?

AWK
Yes.

Traveling south, look right as you reach the south end of the Rouge River bridge. That big minehead -looking building that says something about salt is it.

It's on Fort St just north of the Rough River crossing.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:50 PM   #80
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,948
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_mike View Post
Here's my theory, It is a well proven conspiracy fact that the auto industry and the oil companies are in kahutes. With all the ppl buying huge SUV, and trucks in the last 3-4 years.. it opened up the opportunity for oil prices to go way up.. because ppl were locked into these vehicles. Well when that changes...the oil companies suddenly started to take a hit. When ppl actually drove less..... they hurt the oil gurues. Well now that the big three are heading to shitzville.... the oil companies are trying to boost sales by dropping fuel costs and increasing demand for oil. That's my conspiracy theory.
Simply amazing how supply vs. demand actually works.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.38181 seconds with 80 queries