Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Who was the only President since 1960 to have a budget surplus?

Any guesses?
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #2
bedrat2
98 Jeep Wrangler
 
bedrat2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-22-08
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 100
iTrader: (4)
Bill Clinton had a estimate a surplus of at least $230 billion in 2000.
bedrat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #3
insaneoffroader
Senior Member
 
insaneoffroader's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-11-08
Location: Allegan
Posts: 2,398
iTrader: (9)
Clinton Edit: beat me to
insaneoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #4
bedrat2
98 Jeep Wrangler
 
bedrat2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-22-08
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 100
iTrader: (4)
lol sorry man.
bedrat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #5
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,107
iTrader: (1)
Huh, and I thought it was Congress that had the power to lay and collect taxes and pay debts........

Article I

Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #6
bedrat2
98 Jeep Wrangler
 
bedrat2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-22-08
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 100
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
Huh, and I thought it was Congress that had the power to lay and collect taxes and pay debts........

Article I

Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.
What does any of that have to do with a budget surplus? He was asking which president had extra money not how they got it?
bedrat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #7
bearlys2005
Senior Member
 
bearlys2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-13-06
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 939
iTrader: (3)
on paper only... smoke and mirrors...
bearlys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #8
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
who was the only president to be impeached since Andrew Johnson?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #9
bedrat2
98 Jeep Wrangler
 
bedrat2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-22-08
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 100
iTrader: (4)
I don't know that's a hard one...... I wonder if that is the same person who was getting blow jobs in the oval office?
bedrat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #10
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Bill Clinton is correct!

So the question is, how can say that are tax and spend? Seems to me, the last president we had was tax and save. Lets face it, we are in a crapload of debt as a country, if we keep on electing big government to office, who continue to blow our tax dollars in Iraq while giving tax cuts to the wealthy, our children will have nothing to inherit.
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #11
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,722
iTrader: (7)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Last I checked, this republican party is shooting for smaller goverment, as per usual. Taking more of my money, to do anything but not take it in the first place = bigger goverment.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #12
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 9,722
iTrader: (7)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
What Is This Election Really About?
By Gary Palmer

For weeks I have grappled with the question: what is this election really about? My conclusion is that it is a choice between the policies of Franklin Roosevelt and the policies of Ronald Reagan.

Both Roosevelt and Reagan were elected in difficult times. Roosevelt became President during the Great Depression and Reagan was elected at the height of the Cold War and after the Carter era which left the economy in deep recession and the country in what Carter called a “malaise.”

While most Americans have heard of Roosevelt ’s New Deal, the majority probably know little about the vast scope of it. Roosevelt ’s New Deal set the stage for future liberal leaders in both parties to further expand the role of government and to establish massive entitlement programs that have left us with trillions of dollars of debt.

Central to Roosevelt ’s view was the idea that all Americans should have equality in the pursuit of happiness which he believed could not be achieved without economic security. To achieve this equality, Roosevelt believed that both American society and American government would have to be re-ordered. Thus, his New Deal became a second Bill of Rights that was a major departure from what the Founding Fathers envisioned for America .

Roosevelt believed every person had a right to protection from the economic fears of old age, so as part of the New Deal the government created the Social Security system that will soon be bankrupt. He believed this new Bill of Rights should guarantee the right of every individual to adequate health care, so in the 1960s we created Medicaid and Medicare, health care entitlement programs that now have unfunded liabilities of over $40 trillion.

And, Roosevelt believed that every American had a right to a decent home, so in 1977 Congress passed the Community Reinvestment Act, a federal program that basically forced banks to make home loans to people who could not qualify for a loan nor meet their payments. This has resulted in the current crisis within our mortgage industry and financial markets and has America on the brink of another Great Depression.

Roosevelt, like his modern day disciples, believed that government bureaucrats were better at structuring our economy and society than the people and that government bureaucrats knew better than the hard-working men and women of American how to manage their lives.

Ronald Reagan could not have been more different in his view of the rights of the American people and the proper role of government.

In his first inaugural address, President Reagan famously said, “In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.” Reagan understood that the source of America ’s strength and prosperity comes from her people, not from government bureaucracy. He said, “If we look to the answer as to why for so many years we achieved so much, prospered as no other people on Earth, it was because here in this land we unleashed the energy and individual genius of man to a greater extent than has ever been done before.”

In other words, Americans have always believed that the hard work and ingenuity of individuals should be rewarded -- not punished by a government that would take gulping portions of what they had earned in order to spread the wealth around.

Reagan understood the principle that the sole end of a just government in the proper exercise of its power is the protection of the rights of the people. Therefore, a just government does not limit the freedom of its people by depriving them of the use of their resources or limit their choices except when it is necessary to protect their freedom. And a just government does not deprive some people of their rights in order to create new rights for some or improve the status or condition of some at the expense of others.

Roosevelt came to power at a time of great uncertainty and fear that created the opportunity for reshaping America . Gripped by the Great Depression, Americans chose the promises of security offered by Roosevelt’s New Deal and in the bargain got a government not found in the Constitution which, seven decades later, has given us largely unsuccessful social programs and trillions of dollars of debt.

Now, the collapse of the mortgage industry and the fear of another Great Depression that hangs over this nation are leading millions of Americans to look for security once again.

The great historian Edward Gibbon wrote this about the fall of Athens , “In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all – security, comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again.”

Twenty years ago, in the wake of Carter’s “malaise” and at a time when it appeared the Soviet Union would win the Cold War, the American people chose a different course, a return to core principles. By electing Ronald Reagan, the nation started on the path to restoring the economic and constitutional principles of government that made us the most prosperous and most free nation in the history of the world. And now, we will choose again. In my opinion, that is what this election is about.

Gary Palmer is president of the Alabama Policy Institute, a non-partisan, non-profit research and education organization dedicated to the preservation of free markets, limited government and strong families, which are indispensable to a prosperous society.
October 24, 2008
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #13
techman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-04-06
Location: SE MI
Posts: 686
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Bill Clinton is correct!

So the question is, how can say that are tax and spend? Seems to me, the last president we had was tax and save. Lets face it, we are in a crapload of debt as a country, if we keep on electing big government to office, who continue to blow our tax dollars in Iraq while giving tax cuts to the wealthy, our children will have nothing to inherit.
Bush Jr's policies lean more democrat than republican.
techman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #14
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
Last I checked, this republican party is shooting for smaller goverment, as per usual. Taking more of my money, to do anything but not take it in the first place = bigger goverment.
As per usual? Didnt you see the government balloon under Dubya? Maybe you only see what you want to like most sheep.
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #15
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Bill Clinton is correct!

So the question is, how can say that are tax and spend? Seems to me, the last president we had was tax and save. Lets face it, we are in a crapload of debt as a country, if we keep on electing big government to office, who continue to blow our tax dollars in Iraq while giving tax cuts to the wealthy, our children will have nothing to inherit.
listen. with clinton he cut the military to shit. it ended up that my wife and I had to purchase her military equipment with money out of our own pocket for her training and deployments. THAT'S RIGHT PAID OUT OF OUR OWN POCKET for her boots, fatigues, shirts, socks, etc. under clinton. we would then have to submit the receipts and be re-imbursed a portion of what we spent some months later.

the problem is that the idiots of this country can only see and think about what affects them right here, right now. they don't think about down the line, they want to know about what they are getting now, now, now. clinton enjoyed success from reagan policies. talk with anyone who started or maintained a business during the carter/reagan timeframe. the reduction of taxes by Ron allowed business to grow. it took a while but worked. clinton just enjoyed the fruits of it and took credit for it. the idiots of this land simply don't understand as it didn't happen yesterday.

I have always thought it funny how the compare every conflict to vietnam. which a democrat started. they all seem to forget that fact.a because it makes them look bad.

You cannot change the attitude of america. the idiocy of the population is bringing it's downfall. who will they blame. certainly not themselves. who will the blame when they start to pass and severely diminish your rights and people get pissed off? not themselves.
ovrlnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #16
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
listen. with clinton he cut the military to shit. it ended up that my wife and I had to purchase her military equipment with money out of our own pocket for her training and deployments. THAT'S RIGHT PAID OUT OF OUR OWN POCKET for her boots, fatigues, shirts, socks, etc. under clinton. we would then have to submit the receipts and be re-imbursed a portion of what we spent some months later.
How is this different than our current troops (under GWB) having to buy their own body armor?
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #17
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,936
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
As per usual? Didnt you see the government balloon under Dubya? Maybe you only see what you want to like most sheep.
Truth, Federal spending ballooned under Bush. Blaming it on Bush whilst the Dems controlled congress is a bit sheeplike as well doncha think?

Let's look at some of the spending (lotsa folks like to just concentrate on war spending, so let's look at some non-war spending that took place)
Quite a bit of this would more typically be aligned with democratic ideals...

It's no secret that many people think Bush is the worst President in a long time, and that he's hurt his party in incalculable ways.

That all being said, I doubt very much, that Bush could have done all this by himself given the makeup of the Congress during his terms, and I further doubt he really wanted to expand some of these programs as much as they were expanded, but to oppose them while people are hurting would have angered the self-entitlement, pork addicted into too many rally's...

Quote:
Bailing out the Gulf Coast
"Yesterday I signed a $10.5 billion emergency aid package to fund our ongoing relief efforts. This is a down payment on what will be a sustained federal commitment to our fellow citizens along the Gulf Coast." President Bush, Sept. 3, 2005
The costs of hurricanes Katrina and Rita have reached about $100 billion and are being added to the deficit. Calls from conservatives for spending reductions elsewhere have gone largely unheeded.
"It's our moral obligation to assist our fellow Americans," Milburn says. Former House majority leader Dick Armey, chairman of the conservative interest group FreedomWorks, says such emergency appropriations "become handy little excuses" for the rise in federal spending.

Creating a drug benefit
"Medicare will pay for prescription drugs, so that fewer seniors will get sick in the first place." President Bush, Dec. 8, 2003
The new Medicare drug benefit, passed in 2003 and implemented this year, will cost about $797 billion over 10 years. Proponents of the law include fiscal conservatives such as Nussle, who says it "finally updated Medicare to include prescription drugs."
Critics contend it will saddle taxpayers with an additional $8 trillion in unfunded IOUs over 75 years. "As bad as the last five years have been, it's going to get even worse the next five years," says Brian Riedl, a budget expert at the conservative Heritage Foundation.

Serving the nation's veterans
"We have increased funding for our veterans more in four years than the previous administration did in eight years." President Bush, Aug. 16, 2004
Spending on veterans has increased faster under President Bush than at any time since the Vietnam War. Like homeland security, it is strongly supported by Democrats as well as Republicans.
Among the reasons for the increase: The veterans health care system is adding hospitals, clinics and nursing homes. Iraq and Afghanistan veterans who came from the National Guard and Reserves are eligible for two years of health care from the Department of Veterans Affairs. That system was opened up several years ago to veterans with higher incomes whose illnesses or injuries did not stem from their military service. Greater numbers of veterans from prior conflicts have signed up for disability and pension benefits.


Leaving no child behind
"We're going to spend more on our schools, and we're going to spend it more wisely." President Bush upon signing the No Child Left Behind law Jan. 8, 2002
For the past five years, Republicans have increased K-12 education spending by an average of 7% annually. The increase was greatest early in the administration and has declined every year since.
Conservatives, who recall the days when Republicans threatened to abolish the Education Department, decry the new spending. "If Republicans stand for anything, if they stand for limited government at all, they should stand against programs like this," says Cato Institute budget expert Stephen Slivinski. The White House argues it has reduced funding since 2002, and education interest groups agree. "It's like a ski slope downhill," says Edward Kealy of the Committee for Education Funding.

RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #18
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
clinton enjoyed success from reagan policies. talk with anyone who started or maintained a business during the carter/reagan timeframe. the reduction of taxes by Ron allowed business to grow. it took a while but worked. clinton just enjoyed the fruits of it and took credit for it.
Republicans all say this, but the reference they always use is some dude somewhere said that it was so. Give me some credible references to this urban legend and I will believe it.

On the flipside, are you saying that the enormous increase of the stock market from 2000-2007 is due to Clintons policies?
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #19
ovrlnd
HURL SCOUTS
 
ovrlnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Location: Westland, Michigan
Posts: 10,003
iTrader: (14)
Send a message via AIM to ovrlnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
How is this different than our current troops (under GWB) having to buy their own body armor?
do you have cataracts? or is your face shoved so far up obama's ass you cannot see the light.

Clinton=major military cuts
Clinton=makes the CIA a bunch of liberal pussies who cannot torture enemies
Clinton=too busy fucking fat interns
Clinton=giving his dyke wife $1.5 billion for healthcare reform that never happened

when bush was elected it wasn't long until 9/11 happened. having to organize a hugely depleted military before any new buildup could happen under his administration led him to many problems handed to him by your ass pal clinton.
ovrlnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #20
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBread View Post
Truth, Federal spending ballooned under Bush. Blaming it on Bush whilst the Dems controlled congress is a bit sheeplike as well doncha think?

Let's look at some of the spending (lotsa folks like to just concentrate on war spending, so let's look at some non-war spending that took place)
Quite a bit of this would more typically be aligned with democratic ideals...

It's no secret that many people think Bush is the worst President in a long time, and that he's hurt his party in incalculable ways.

That all being said, I doubt very much, that Bush could have done all this by himself given the makeup of the Congress during his terms, and I further doubt he really wanted to expand some of these programs as much as they were expanded, but to oppose them while people are hurting would have angered the self-entitlement, pork addicted into too many rally's...

dude

Where do you get your facts from?

here are the senatorial stats for the last 8 years:

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/his...s/partydiv.htm

looks to me like a split senate for the last 8 years

Here is the house of reps:

http://clerk.house.gov/art_history/h.../partyDiv.html

2001-2007 it was in the majority.

That is bad math there buddy.
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Tags
infinite stupidity, wisdumb is a sheep fucker

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.31458 seconds with 50 queries