Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM   #61
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I think there should be a flat tax for everyone personally.
your gonna be awful disappointed when obama get in office.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #62
greygoose
I'm the dude
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-08
Location: New Baltimore / Presque Isle
Posts: 6,079
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I think there should be a flat tax for everyone personally.
Agreed, but it will never happen...
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM   #63
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post


The foreign companies charge just as much for comparable vehicles.

It may be bullshit we're keeping them alive or helping with our tax dollars, but the result of not doing so and having all three fail would be a much worse circumstance.
It's not so much the price, but the fact that trade is not fair in and out. I know it will never be even, but the fact that we allow way more imported vehicles vs exported vehicles is the problem. We need to have more even trade agreements with other countries rather than the lopsided ones we have now.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #64
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,873
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
It's not so much the price, but the fact that trade is not fair in and out. I know it will never be even, but the fact that we allow way more imported vehicles vs exported vehicles is the problem. We need to have more even trade agreements with other countries rather than the lopsided ones we have now.
x1,000,000

The fact that we allow businesses from countries that tax and tariff the shit out of our exported products is beyond me. Free trade my ass. Way to put a cinder block on our own businesses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #65
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
x1,000,000

The fact that we allow businesses from countries that tax and tariff the shit out of our exported products is beyond me. Free trade my ass. Way to put a cinder block on our own businesses.
x2 time to stop giving our competitors the materials and goods they need to outpace us in industry.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM   #66
1crazyredneck
MichiganRednecks
 
1crazyredneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-07
Location: Lapeer, MI
Posts: 410
iTrader: (8)
How the hell does a janitor clear 200k a year that's all I wanna know...
1crazyredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM   #67
gotsand?
sie sehen mich rollin ...
 
gotsand?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-04-06
Location: New Era, MI --- "We passed BFE 35 minutes ago."
Posts: 3,335
iTrader: (11)
Send a message via Yahoo to gotsand?
thats just what he said.....whether it is true or not I couldnt tell ya, I never saw a check stub.
I do know that he was my buddy joe's bank...anytime joe needed a loan, he asked his dad and he just wrote a check and gave it to him. paid cash for joes truck and joe just made payments to him.
gotsand? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:54 PM   #68
1crazyredneck
MichiganRednecks
 
1crazyredneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-05-07
Location: Lapeer, MI
Posts: 410
iTrader: (8)
The UAW janitors are the lowest payed .. lower than the line worker.. And they are also being "phased" out .. My guess is he took home more like 30-40k and that would be with a little overtime.. But I guess this really isn't about that.. I'm sure the problem couldn't be with the 31 millions dollars that execs get when the company is "losing" money by the billions.. So lets see.. We'll use a Tom Lasorda for example.. Is was posted from Daimler that he got 31million the year when Cerbie took over.. So figure he works alot so we'll say 3500 hrs a year.. works out to almost 8900 a/hr Or 195 - 200 "Rest of Us" works
1crazyredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #69
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
how do they get money from uncle sam? if your talking loans, your a fucktard. a bailout is different than a loan.
I agree, you're a "fucktard".


Auto industry to get $25 billion in federal loans
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:44 AM   #70
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
So Steveo, a question for you. What line of work are you going into that you think will be immune to the effects to the US economy if the US auto industry goes belly up?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM   #71
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
whatever, fucktard sr.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/flowchar...-chrysler.html
Quote:
But please don't call it a "bailout"—Detroit is too proud for that. Exact details will come later, but the loans would probably amount to at least $5 billion for each of the Detroit 3, plus smaller amounts for suppliers. That would allow them to borrow money at interest rates as low as 4 percent—a steep discount compared with the double-digit rates they're paying now. Over several years, the automakers could save hundreds of millions in financing costs. Plus, they'll have five years before they have to start repaying the loans.
4% is below inflation rates. this is a bailout, nothing more. enjoy your steak while you still have it, my tax dollars are buying it.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM   #72
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
So Steveo, a question for you. What line of work are you going into that you think will be immune to the effects to the US economy if the US auto industry goes belly up?
I have never said i would be immune. i think that the negative effects would be short lived, and the positive effects in the long run would be worth it.

Last edited by steveo; October 3rd, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #73
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I have never said i would be immune. i think that the negative effects would be short lived, and the positive effects in the long run would be worth it.
OK, I'll rephrase the question. What line of work are you going into where you think that the collapse of the US auto industry will have only a short term negative effect and that will be positively effected in the long run?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM   #74
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
OK, I'll rephrase the question. What line of work are you going into where you think that the collapse of the US auto industry will have only a short term negative effect and that will be positively effected in the long run?
tool and die maker for gm.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM   #75
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
enjoy your steak while you still have it, my tax dollars are buying it.
It is, but not the way you think. I'm working on a military project right now.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM   #76
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
4% is below inflation rates. this is a bailout, nothing more. enjoy your steak while you still have it, my tax dollars are not buying it.
Did you even read my post why we would like the money?

We can survive without the loans, just kiss your work truck and anything else that doesn't get over 35 mpg goodbye. Toyota / Honda / Lexus won't have a work truck to offer either.

You'll be toting around your diesel generator/welder in a 4 cylinder truck looking for work repairing everybody else's old trucks because they aren't available any longer.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #77
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Did you even read my post why we would like the money?

We can survive without the loans, just kiss your work truck and anything else that doesn't get over 35 mpg goodbye. Toyota / Honda / Lexus won't have a work truck to offer either.

You'll be toting around your diesel generator/welder in a 4 cylinder truck looking for work repairing everybody else's old trucks because they aren't available any longer.
why cant a work truck get over 35 mpg? maybe the auto makers should have focused on that, instead of figuring out how to put dvd players in minivans...
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM   #78
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
It is, but not the way you think. I'm working on a military project right now.
that makes me feel a little better.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM   #79
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,298
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
why cant a work truck get over 35 mpg? maybe the auto makers should have focused on that, instead of figuring out how to put dvd players in minivans...
Because for the past 20 years more people were interested in having DVD players in their minivans than getting 35 mpg.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM   #80
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
why cant a work truck get over 35 mpg? maybe the auto makers should have focused on that, instead of figuring out how to put dvd players in minivans...
F=ma where:

F= torque or the inverse of fuel economy

m = mass, which work trucks have plenty

a = acceleration, and people seem to like lower numbers

It is a game that connot be won with government safety and emissions regulations that are currently in place (and getting more restrictive).

I am positive there are things you can tell me (withing the scope of welding and firearms, for sure) that cannot be done. Right now, you asking for a work truck that is of useful size and power to get 35 mpg is like me not understanding why you cannot use brazing rod in a wirefeed to weld magnesium.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.22608 seconds with 50 queries