Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

What would make you...

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bearlys2005 
#1 ·
Shy away from a 99 PSD 4x4 with a pile of miles on it? (200k) And looked like it needed lower ball joints. Assuming everything else checked out good, including the price tag?

#5 ·
i just bought a 99 with 194K miles on it. I considered that to be low miles

The trans would worry me (if it is an auto). Find out if it has been rebuilt yet. If it hasn't, I givie it 20K miles tops.

#6 ·
I have been looking at PSDs and Duramaxs for the last 4-5 months all with over 200k. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on one so I haven't been to picky. The only thing that has been turning me away from buying any of the ones I have looked at, is the condition of the bodies and interiors. Most of the owners have misrepresented their conditions and I have driven up to 1 1/2 hours to look at them just to find out that they are trashed inside and out. :( But as for mechanical issues on most of them, they ran tip-top! If the truck runs good, looks good, drives good, and you can get it cheap.... I say buy it I wouldn't be afraid to. :thumb:

#8 ·
99 wouldn't be a 7.3L would it? Maybe a 6.0? Whatever the case, become good friends with somebody who works in a body shop if the body's rusting out, you'd be surprised how quick they get side jobs done. Fenders and box wheel wells are pretty quick. My co-worker had a 88 ford and it had 300k on the engine before he sold it.

#11 ·
The 99 is a 7.3 which is a great engine. The front axle is known for the ball joints as well as the hub bearing going out regularly. I personally put 4 sets of bearing, 2 sets of locking (Warn) hubs plus the OEM, as well as 2 sets of ball joints in about 50K. Oh I was running 315/70/R17 tires. I also had the transmission done twice. The first job was lame but the second time I had it made bullet proof. All in all in't a great truck, like everything it has some weak points that tend to fail until they are fixed. I would have upgraded the front axle bearing to the old style bearing that can be serviced if I would have kept the truck. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.