Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #141
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
For someone who is supposed to be a crusader against wasteful government spending, she sure has a lot of experience as mayor with lobbyists and earmarks:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26504638/
She did what a local politician should do, try to bring as much money into your community as possible.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM   #142
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Hows about this new news? Basically McCain had to pick a pro life pick last minute to get the crazy religious right wing conservatives to join up with him, so he chose Palin. He also had to choose someone to shake up his campaign and make it exciting to have a chance at beating Obama. This all may backfire.....

Thoughts?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26501863/
Nothing surprising there.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM   #143
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlnd View Post
no, but when they found out she was and she was an option for mccain it makes her very realistic to the voters. although she is a politician she has a knocked up daughter just like so many other families. they are dealing with it. plus the choice to keep the child is huge. they could be the first dysfunctional family of the white house.

has nothing to do with tinfoil hats. it is the strategy to:
1: sway the female clinton voters
2: sway the pro lifers
3: sway the reality middle classers dealing with the same issues
Obviously they're going to try to spin it into something positive, but I don't think the "middle classers dealing with a knocked up teenage daughter" is a large enough voting block to make a difference.

I never liked the term "dysfunctional family". Mine would be considered "dysfunctional" on several levels, but it still works.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM   #144
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
She did what a local politician should do, try to bring as much money into your community as possible.
Yep, she is a typical politician, with strong ties to lobbyists and washington politics. Thats what I took away from it as well.
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #145
General Lee
Slice of Starsage Anyone?
 
General Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 5,070
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to General Lee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Yep, she is a typical politician, with strong ties to lobbyists and washington politics. Thats what I took away from it as well.
Just to present the counter argument...

What if she wouldn't have secured the funding that she has? What if she wouldn't have built that train station? Would you vote for her then?

"She has done nothing, but, hey, she hasn't drawn any additional funds from lobbyists to do the nothing that she has done!!!"

...that doesn't make much sense.

If you're going to write her off for playing the game, you leave me confused, sir.

So, I guess, then, instead of voting for someone who knows how to work the system to get stuff done, you can vote for someone who is inexperienced at working the system, talks about getting stuff done, and does nothing of value.



I kinda' like her. I feel a little more confident in my vote now.
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM   #146
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Not my point. Its all about the marketing of her. If you are going to say she is a person who is against pork barrel spending and typical washington politics as usual, she had better not be doing the things that she is touted as being against. So far she looks like a typical politican, no reason for her to get my vote.

Heres a link to the McCain camp calling her an agent of change

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/...eax/index.html

More of the same coming up from the GOP it looks like.

Last edited by Infinite_Wisdumb; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added link
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM   #147
BRUSER
Senior Member
 
BRUSER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: WestSide Michigan
Posts: 1,324
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

There was $500,000 for a youth shelter, $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project -- all intended to benefit Palin's town, Wasilla, located about 45 miles north of Anchorage.

Wow, yea, this is wastful spending alright, this ranks right up there with the $100,000,000.00" bridge to nowhere" that she turned down as govenor
BRUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #148
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Here are some of her stances:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm

Here are the ones I dont like:

Supports teaching intelligent design in public schools. (Aug 2008)
Opposes stem cell research. (Aug 2008)
Vetoed bill denying benefits to gays, as unconstitutional. (Aug 2008) although she previously said it was OK
Ok to deny benefits to homosexual couples. (Aug 2006)
Teach creationism alongside evolution in schools. (Aug 2008)
Sue US government to stop listing polar bear as endangered. (Aug 2008) WAT?


And ones I like:
Encourage small business growth by reducing business taxes. (Nov 2006)
Windfall oil profits tax prevents investment. (Aug 2008)
Health care must be market-and business-driven. (Jan 2008)
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM   #149
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSER View Post
There was $500,000 for a youth shelter, $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project -- all intended to benefit Palin's town, Wasilla, located about 45 miles north of Anchorage.

Wow, yea, this is wastful spending alright, this ranks right up there with the $100,000,000.00" bridge to nowhere" that she turned down as govenor

You mean the bridge to nowhere that she supported and then flip-flopped on?

Also

Should all of these things be funded by MY tax dollar or the tax dollars of the residents of Alaska? THAT is the question - where is she getting the cash from? NOT what is she doing for her people.
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:41 AM   #150
BRUSER
Senior Member
 
BRUSER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: WestSide Michigan
Posts: 1,324
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
You mean the bridge to nowhere that she supported and then flip-flopped on?

Also

Should all of these things be funded by MY tax dollar or the tax dollars of the residents of Alaska? THAT is the question - where is she getting the cash from? NOT what is she doing for her people.
I'm ok with the Flop, she ended on the correct side of that issue. All money is ours( government doesn't think that way). She got the cash from the same place the cash most public works projects come from, the tax payers. Don't believe that Michigan get their fair share of the road tax, or Montana, or most other states. The $ goes to the places with the highest need( in someones mind) not where the $ came from. Socialism at its finest
BRUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:50 AM   #151
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,439
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Its easy to only listen to the good things about a candidate and ignore the contradictory things a candidate does.

I know you are already going to vote republican, but for those of us who arent decided yet, a good unbiased look at what each candidate SAYS, versus what they DO is worth merit.

She states that she is against typical washington politics, yet she plays the game like everyone else and takes my taxpayer dollars for a 15 million dollar train station for 6700 people. Even if every single one of those people use the rail system (which they wont) we have paid 2238 dollars per person to have it there. If that isnt wasteful spending, I dont know what is.
You don't get out much, do you? How many tourists come to Alaska every year? The train station was built for how many people? Just because she represented a town of 6700 people doesn't mean those are the only people served by the rail line. Also, I'm sure that the rail is used for transport of freight as well. Have you ever been to Alaska? Obviously not.

The City of Cody, Wyoming lies near one of the entrances to Yellowstone National Park. It too is a small town in population. Guess what? They get federal funding too for the 6 MILLION tourists that visit Yellowstone every year.

Don't let your hatred for anything conservative blind you. Typical lib.
__________________
reptile610 says:"Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them."

,[____l,
_ -o==o-_
) ()_)¯ ()_)
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #152
XXXJ
Desert Rat
 
XXXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-07
Location: Memphis, Mi
Posts: 5,556
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I hope she's made mistakes.
If you do nothing, you can do nothing wrong.
XXXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #153
Infinite_Wisdumb
.
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Location: mi
Posts: 1,042
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Hombre

Since I havent been to Wasilla, I havent been to Alaska? That is a foolish statement.

Any facts to back your statements up?

My source says that Wasilla already has a industrial rail:
http://www.cityofwasilla.com/index.aspx?page=35

Yellowstone is a federally funded park, the city of Wasilla is NOT. Your fact checking prowess and ability to compare/contrast is AMAZING.

And none of this addresses the point that Palin is supposed to be a different kind of candidate that is against pork barrel spending, which she has shown she is not.

You are as bad as Dodger889 with Tech.

fail
Infinite_Wisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM   #154
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Not my point. Its all about the marketing of her. If you are going to say she is a person who is against pork barrel spending and typical washington politics as usual, she had better not be doing the things that she is touted as being against. So far she looks like a typical politican, no reason for her to get my vote.

Heres a link to the McCain camp calling her an agent of change

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/...eax/index.html

More of the same coming up from the GOP it looks like.
I don't care about the "marketing".

As I see it, she was elected by her town to do a job, she learned how the system worked and used it to bring good things to the town that put her in charge. That’s what politicians do, regardless of their party. Just because she knows how the system works and can use it to her advantage does not necessarily mean she supports the system. In fact, I think a good understanding of how it works is essential to knowing how to fight it.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:18 PM   #155
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,376
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Hombre

Since I havent been to Wasilla, I havent been to Alaska? That is a foolish statement.

Any facts to back your statements up?

My source says that Wasilla already has a industrial rail:
http://www.cityofwasilla.com/index.aspx?page=35

Yellowstone is a federally funded park, the city of Wasilla is NOT. Your fact checking prowess and ability to compare/contrast is AMAZING.

And none of this addresses the point that Palin is supposed to be a different kind of candidate that is against pork barrel spending, which she has shown she is not.

You are as bad as Dodger889 with Tech.

fail
Another page from the same site... http://www.cityofwasilla.com/index.aspx?page=42 shows that while the actual town of Wasilla has only 6343 people, that region has nearly 60,000 and is growing fast. So spending money on infrastructure improvments kinda makes sense.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #156
jsutton
Yota Baby
 
jsutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-29-08
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...736048,00.html
sweet, another link that says he is impressive because people like to hear him talk. The article makes no reference to things he has actually acomplished to "change politics"

I'm sure Obama is "influencial," hell... the guy is a great speaker, draws a huge crowd and people seam to listen to him. I just don't think people are listening to him for the right reasons, especially given his credentials

I don't thikn he is "powerful" though. Powerful people have gotten shit done, and can prove it. Powerful people lead by their actions, influencial people just have to have a cult following
Influential, powerful we could be here all day debating. And I don't really care. All's I am sayin' is McCain made a sucks ass pick. I was looking forward to his announcement. And he picked a nobody with no experience.

Look at Ronald Regan he picked one of the best VP's ever in moderate Republican and fellow Presidential candidate Bush Sr. Bush goes on to be a great President and screws it up by picking Quayle. And the reason Quayle was picked was to keep the religous right happy. It help cost the Republicans the 1992 election. Can you imagine what would have happen if Bush Sr. had dumped Quayle and gone with a qualified, popular candidate like Colin Powell or Norman Swartzkopf.
jsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM   #157
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,439
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Wisdumb View Post
Hombre

Since I havent been to Wasilla, I havent been to Alaska? That is a foolish statement.

Any facts to back your statements up?

My source says that Wasilla already has a industrial rail:
http://www.cityofwasilla.com/index.aspx?page=35

Yellowstone is a federally funded park, the city of Wasilla is NOT. Your fact checking prowess and ability to compare/contrast is AMAZING.

And none of this addresses the point that Palin is supposed to be a different kind of candidate that is against pork barrel spending, which she has shown she is not.

You are as bad as Dodger889 with Tech.

fail
Have you been to Alaska?
__________________
reptile610 says:"Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them."

,[____l,
_ -o==o-_
) ()_)¯ ()_)
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM   #158
bigwalton
Postal Scrambler
 
bigwalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-07-07
Location: Dexter
Posts: 719
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

These threads make me laugh, if someone with the same experience on the Dems side (with the corresponding platform/pictures and all) was picked by Obama the same arguments supporting/against her would be made by the exact opposite side.

Politics suck: if they're in my party I will defend them to the last degree, ignoring the negatives and if they're not in my party I'll attack them on anything I can, ignoring the positives.

Oh, and I'll insult the other side as "typical liberal" or "asshole conservative"

There's a couple people in here actually looking at what she really has done and stands for, so kudos to you. Wish everyone would do the same and not just dismiss whatever they feel like ignoring.

I think she's a very interesting pick that is likely to be seen as what's cited as the critical decision in either a McCain win or loss.

Can't wait for the daddy of the daughter's kid to be interviewed, that ought to be interesting. Anyone check him out yet? Wow. Talk about good ol' "redneck" (his word). However, as Obama pointed out (to his credit), what the uterus of her daughter has going on has ZERO to do with ANYTHING about this election.

And I also don't get what it matters that this woman was gov of a state that bordered Russia. Do you think that she'd have ONE THING to do with anything that happened if shit went down with them??? The Pres and armed forces would use her and the state as a doormat and do whatever the hell that they felt like. The governor could be a , , libertarian, Schwarzenneger, Gandhi, etc and it wouldn't make one bit of difference. The are trying to make it sound like she was holding major international treaty talks with the Politburo each week just because of the proximity of her state to Russia. I'd bet the governor of Idaho would have just as much experience in "foreign affairs" and dealings with Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You don't get out much, do you? How many tourists come to Alaska every year? The train station was built for how many people? Just because she represented a town of 6700 people doesn't mean those are the only people served by the rail line. Also, I'm sure that the rail is used for transport of freight as well. Have you ever been to Alaska? Obviously not.
I've been to Wasila, there's an interesting Museum of Alaskan Transportation and Industry that has a restored example of an Alaskan Postal Scrambler (bringing some 4x4 talk into this!) but it's relatively small. Otherwise there's not much of anything in Wasila. Now if you connected Anchorage and Talkeetna, then you'd have something. That's the "gateway to Denali" where all the hikers that climb Mc Kinley check in and start from and it's the closest town to the Denali park. They also have a kick ass Moose Dropping festival each summer which I recommend going to.

Unfortunately Talkeetna is about another hour and 45 minutes from there and you may as well drive by the time you try to take a train. So the argument about the railroad station for tourism doesn't hold any water.
bigwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM   #159
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,439
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
.......And I also don't get what it matters that this woman was gov of a state that bordered Russia. Do you think that she'd have ONE THING to do with anything that happened if shit went down with them???............... I'd bet the governor of Idaho would have just as much experience in "foreign affairs" and dealings with Russia.
So does that mean that Granholm really doesn't work with the Canadian government either? I happen to know for a fact that the Russian government and the State of Alaska has had to work together due to all of the cross border hunting, fishing issues etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
I've been to Wasila, there's an interesting Museum of Alaskan Transportation and Industry that has a restored example of an Alaskan Postal Scrambler (bringing some 4x4 talk into this!) but it's relatively small. Otherwise there's not much of anything in Wasila. Now if you connected Anchorage and Talkeetna, then you'd have something. That's the "gateway to Denali" where all the hikers that climb Mc Kinley check in and start from and it's the closest town to the Denali park. They also have a kick ass Moose Dropping festival each summer which I recommend going to.

Unfortunately Talkeetna is about another hour and 45 minutes from there and you may as well drive by the time you try to take a train. So the argument about the railroad station for tourism doesn't hold any water.
I've been there too and I disagree with what you said about the railroad. I love tourists. They go someplace once or twice and they're suddenly an expert on the whole place and know what's best for the "locals".
__________________
reptile610 says:"Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them."

,[____l,
_ -o==o-_
) ()_)¯ ()_)
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #160
bigwalton
Postal Scrambler
 
bigwalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-07-07
Location: Dexter
Posts: 719
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
So does that mean that Granholm really doesn't work with the Canadian government either? I happen to know for a fact that the Russian government and the State of Alaska has had to work together due to all of the cross border hunting, fishing issues etc.
Ok, perfect. Here's a serious question for you. Forgetting anything about her other than this one issue, you'd accept it if the dems put Granholm on a ticket and then cited that as qualifying her in foreign policy?

I never said a thing about Granholm's "foreign policy" experience and I wouldn't give her ONE BIT of credit for anything that she has to deal with the Canadians on...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I've been there too and I disagree with what you said about the railroad. I love tourists. They go someplace once or twice and they're suddenly an expert on the whole place and know what's best for the "locals".
Where did I say I was an expert?? Where did I address anything about the "locals"?? I can certainly weigh in when you ask the guy if he's been to Alaska/Wasila on a question about tourism in Wasila. I did look at what there was to do in the places I wanted to visit. That was it in Wasila. That's EXACTLY what you were talking about. I didn't pretend to know what the actual use of the RR was, I didn't speculate on what other things that the RR could be for, I just addressed the specific question of the RR as a tourist conduit. Nothing I said implied that there couldn't be a hundred other valid reasons...

But man, you compared Wasila to a town outside YOSIMITE and you balk when I say there's nothing close to that in Wasila?
bigwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Tags
i wanna bang the vp, iwouldhitittwice, look at my huge cock, mc cain bags a milf, milf from ak, mishowjeeper+bmfmike=tl, nra hottie for vp!, palin'sdaughterisaprego

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright ©2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.33231 seconds with 50 queries