Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM   #21
MISHOWJEEPER
NSFW
 
MISHOWJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-07
Location: Lapeer MI
Posts: 2,239
iTrader: (13)
Ossetia broke itself off of georgia back in 1992. many who live there have russian passports. What made georgia decide to bomb it, try to take it over, and not expect to get spanked??
MISHOWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM   #22
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,315
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
I am glad someone knows more of the story.

If it weren't for Georgia already being in "possession" of Ossetia, the US would probably be remaining neutral in this case.
Georgia has not been in "possession" of South Ossetia since 1992. They have been acting as a autonomous region, with ties to Russia, since then. Russia considers the people of South Ossetia to be Russian citizens. While the area has been in conflict since the break up of the USSR, this particular battle was started by the Georgians, who last Thursday started shelling "separatist" and Russian "peacekeeping" positions. Russia responded to Georgia's shelling by whooping their asses.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:17 PM   #23
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,315
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Dawg View Post
If Georgia did not stand up for itself, then Russia would definitley "abosrb" Georgia back into Russian control. It sounds like Russia wants another Soviet Union and Georgia would be, or is, the first state it wants to seize control of.

Yes, this smells of WWI
The part you're missing is that most of the people in the region in conflict WANT to be "abosrbed" back under Russian control.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM   #24
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
I get plenty of angles on this from my family-in-law.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM   #25
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,315
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
I get plenty of angles on this from my family-in-law.
They'll get you "indoctranated" yet.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM   #26
Hombre
I carry a shank
 
Hombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,423
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerob View Post
true but they are all on the verge of crazy....with nukes
The Russian military has always been "top heavy". A great military is defined by the leadership and ingenuity of it's non-commissioned officers. Our military is second to none there. In other words, our leaders are taught to lead from the front. Yes they have nukes and lots of them. We do too and ours have evolved since 1984. While they were struggling to keep their country from completely toppling, we were moving forward with ballistic missile technologies and better guidance systems. They know all of this. It's a dangerous situation, but I am not too worried at this point.
At least we know what they are doing in the former USSR now. Back in the day (I sound like such an old fukc ) we never really knew what their capabilities were or what they were up to. That was scary. I remember in elementary school being taught the "duck and cover" drills in case of nuclear attack.
__________________
reptile610 says:"Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them."

,[____l,
_ -o==o-_
) ()_) ()_)
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM   #27
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
They'll get you "indoctranated" yet.
We talked more tonight at dinner and a somewhat little-known fact is that Georgia (right or wrong) supplied the third most military help in Iran behind us and the UK. I think that is why Bush is trying to take the hard line and support Russian withdrawal from Georgia.

I think it's time to tell them they got themselves into this mess, and sorry about your luck, but we're not stupid enough to badger Russia.

We really need to mind our own business here.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM   #28
clint357
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
 
clint357's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-13-07
Location: grand rapids
Posts: 2,278
iTrader: (4)
I like how Russia made the FOAB (father of all bombs) in response to our MOAB (nicknamed Mother Of All Bombs), actually stands for massive ordinance air blast. Russia has also recently flown bombers around Alaska to flex their muscle.
clint357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM   #29
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,315
iTrader: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
We talked more tonight at dinner and a somewhat little-known fact is that Georgia (right or wrong) supplied the third most military help in Iran behind us and the UK. I think that is why Bush is trying to take the hard line and support Russian withdrawal from Georgia.

I think it's time to tell them they got themselves into this mess, and sorry about your luck, but we're not stupid enough to badger Russia.

We really need to mind our own business here.
Iran? or did you mean Iraq?
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM   #30
MT-Dawg
Camel Buggy
 
MT-Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-07
Location: F-L-I-N-T South Side
Posts: 733
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
The part you're missing is that most of the people in the region in conflict WANT to be "abosrbed" back under Russian control.
I never thought of that, good point. Were things better for the Goergian people under the Russian controled USSR government? Probably YES, I would guess.
__________________
"Opportunity knocks once" Not true... In some cases it never comes knocking, you have to go out and grab it by the hippie pony tail, and drag it over to your place for wine and chocolate."
MT-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM   #31
ScOoTeR
GLFWDA Member #07520
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,222
iTrader: (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmenn View Post
Iran? or did you mean Iraq?
Whoopsie

Freudian slip.
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #32
SS
Fighting Uruk-Hai!
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 10,483
iTrader: (13)
So Im guessing the Caspian pipeline has NOTHING at all to do with these actions. I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned it yet.

Caspian Sea = rich like a mofo in oil. American companies set up shop and built an amazing pipeline through all sorts of countries ending in Georgia where the oil is loaded onto ships and sent to our wonderful homeland. It's the single biggest threat to the Russian oil industry in existence and it's run by us. That's why we spent so much time working with the Georgian military.

By the way... two heavy armor units have been notified of possible deployment to Georgia to protect the economic interests of the United States. This "muscle flexing" was aimed at us due to us "stealing" their oil.

Woo.
__________________
-Jeremy

White hand of Saruman.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #33
smasheromalley
Senior Member
 
smasheromalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,036
iTrader: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
So Im guessing the Caspian pipeline has NOTHING at all to do with these actions. I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned it yet.

Caspian Sea = rich like a mofo in oil. American companies set up shop and built an amazing pipeline through all sorts of countries ending in Georgia where the oil is loaded onto ships and sent to our wonderful homeland. It's the single biggest threat to the Russian oil industry in existence and it's run by us. That's why we spent so much time working with the Georgian military.

By the way... two heavy armor units have been notified of possible deployment to Georgia to protect the economic interests of the United States. This "muscle flexing" was aimed at us due to us "stealing" their oil.

Woo.
finally
smasheromalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #34
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,256
iTrader: (7)
Ever since the olympics were in Atlanta, Georgia hasn't known when to stop








Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.16958 seconds with 38 queries