Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

82 CJ8 Scrambler buildup

7K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  capone 
#1 · (Edited)
I am starting with nice donor 82 scrambler built by previous owner. Body was replaced w/ all new steel tub and all little b.s. was replaced , motor is 4.2 with offenhauser 4bl, th400 (2 wheel drive no transfer case)dual exhaust headers and small cam, but frame and suspension are in desperate need of attention.
This will be a pretty simple build as far as technical stuff, but I think alot of the things are items that many people without fab skills will be doing and nothing ever just bolts on!!

My plans:
Frame AFW Bobbed CJ8 w/ shackle reversal
YJ 4" Pro Comp springs
Dana 30 front 4:10 w/ tru trac
Amc 20 rear 4:10 Detroit locker, moser shafts
Donor motor 4.2 w/727 and Dana 300
All new Stainless brake lines
New brakes and steering
Bolt on rear frame extensions for later removal for tub Bobbing
Tires 33x12.50 15 TRXUS radials w/ ultra wheels both from donor CJ8

I purchased a used CJ7 frame that had the axles I wanted and was stretched (Excellent fab job by p.o.)in the middle 10" for a Bobbed CJ8 (this frame will probably be sold), while I was prepping this frame I found an AFW bobbed CJ8 frame w/shackle reversal, set up for YJ springs, M.O.R.E. Bombproof motor mounts, and already painted with POR 15. I purchased this setup and have since been prepping this frame.
So far i have done: cleaned and painted alot of parts,installed axles and springs, shock mounts, new brakes, brake lines are ran.
I am working on lengthening the rear section of the frame as this will not be bobbed at this time, but I am going build a removable rear section for later tub bobbing if so desired.
So here is pics of frame and donor CJ8

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice looking ride. What I could see of the frame from the first two pics actually looked ok, but you've sure got a great frame to start with now.

Nice to see Scramblers going together :rock::woot:

#7 ·
Nice looking ride. What I could see of the frame from the first two pics actually looked ok, but you've sure got a great frame to start with now.
Nice to see Scramblers going together :rock::woot:
Thanks! Craigs biodiesel scrambler is next! the original frame is ok, its just that the po welded and did a poor job, so i figured if body is coming of to repair its getting the way i want!

#10 ·
Awesome! At least I'll still get to see it go together :woot:

You're my new hero. :beerbang:

#14 ·
:woot::rock::nana:

Damn skippy!

#21 ·
Wow... that's....something. :poke:

Is that a track bar under there?

#23 ·
Yeah, the longest track bar in history.

Frame extension looks pretty sweet, interesting way to work it for now.

#27 ·
update 9/18/09

finally, got fuel and brake lines ran. I used a stainless brake line kit for CJ7 and had to straighten and re-bend them due to length and frame configuration. They look sweet and have the nice gravel guard/spring on them! For the fuel lines I ran all three, probably don't need return and vent ran up front but figured easier to do now then later.
Next I need to address the motor mount issue, the frame has welded mounts for the 4.2, and since BBaXJ made me buy his 401 v8, I need to make engine mounts for that. I know it sounds easy but frame is already painted and don't want to remove lines and fab new frame mounts!
slowly but surely!!

Attachments

#28 ·
As long as the frame side mounts are reasonably close to what you need it shouldn't be tough to make the engine side to mate with them.....I'm having to do the same thing now that I built mounts for the 401 then crossed over to the dark side and got Chevy junk.

#31 ·
Update::
Exhaust is finished/ I used an old set and cut welded different pieces and beds to make it work, made a exhaust mount off the crossmember so exhaust can be bolted tight and still removed if needed!! I think it turned out sweet!
Engine and trans are mounted, luckily I had rear driveshaft that was perfect length. I had to modify my crossmember and mount just a little to mount the 727 trans, I also ordered the Lokar kick down and firewall mount dipstick!
Hopefully tonight the fuel tank goes in!

Attachments

#32 ·
Exhaust looks good......but that 401 looks like it's missing a couple cylinders! Did you decide not to do the swap or what?

#35 ·
I am hoping to build one to pull the other north for trail riding, I haven't wheeled in 10 years and looking forward to it, I say I am not going to do anything real radical, but you know how that goes once you get out there and need just a little more!!

#38 ·
its a very kickass jeep... i drool on it whenever i get over there.... now get your ass over and fix my wiring..lol..:blah:

still need to get in garage and get those parts for ya... prolly tomorrow after work i will be out there.... and we have to swap seats... pick a pretty one for me :beerbang:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.