|August 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM||#1|
2 ton shit missle *UPDATED ON 8/8/09*
This is my build over the last few months with the majority of the work being done over the last month. I was working so long and so fast I rarely stopped for pics but if theres something you would like to see let me know, within reason of course. I started by selling a stripping most of the drivetrain out and cutting off the rear portion of the frame to move it inboard the tub for coilover room.
Heres the rundown.
'86 HP 60 narrowed to 67" with detroit locker and 5.13 gears
'99 14b came out to 65" with welded carrier and 5.13 gears
switched from nv3550 to aw4 from 2000 xj
tera low 231 4.1
fox coilovers 14" front, 12" rear
psc full hydro steering
1.75x.375 dom lower links (and the one front upper)
all lowers and the one upper are same length and I have one complete spare with ends.
Ends are Johnny joints
The rear uppers and track bar are 1.5x.25 dom and use 3/4 rod ends (as does the steering) so I only need one size spare.
Fuel cell is 15.5 gallons and is recessed into the floor 3.5 inches and the rest hangs down but not bellow the rear bumper.
3 link front 4 link rear
recentered H1 wheels and 39.5 TSL's
Only a couple of inches of shaft showing on the coilovers (4-6) but at the tires I have about 5-8 to the wheelwells.
stretched the wheelbase 11-12 inches. 8 in the front and 3-4 in the rear (I never remeasured after getting the axle installed and at ride height)
still have to do:
Clock t case a few inches and re-do the mount.
Build front fenders
Build new rocker quards
Build rear corners
Build front bumper/winch mount
Work out bugs if any
Drives great, took it to the dunes last weekend and the suspension worked great but my coil wasnt getting the correct voltage so it ran terrible. I found a bad connection where i tapped into the factory harness for the new auto. Re-diod that and it drive excellent now. I still need to adjust the shocks slightly too but we'll see how ostc goes. Heres some pics. Fire away
Last edited by Tab; August 9th, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
|August 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM||#3|
Ram mount. I didnt really like the idea of just using a single piece of tube across the front and the other version I've seen is a big piece made from 1/4 plate and box in at the same location I made mine. I went with my own idea and think its a better approach as it can incorporate a skid and does not hang lower than the axle tube. Cut from two pieces of 3/8 and welded all around. This still allows me to get into my diff if need be and the center hole on the skid is for my winch hook if I feel the need to suck down for a climb.
Lower link and shock mount.
Starting my fuel cell. Again, I didnt want to lose clearance in the back so I recessed it into the tub and was able to use the factory pump (with needed regulator) and I now use an RCI fill tube. I'll get a better finished pic soon.
Last edited by Tab; August 17th, 2008 at 01:36 PM.
|August 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM||#4|
Shock mounts. I have better pics in progress but they are on the other camera so they will have to wait.
Rear bumper/end of new frame. Yes they are welded all the way through I didnt really want the normal rectangle tube with angled ends so I made this. I like it, it gave me the groung clearance and departure angle I was after.
Its not bent like the pic turned out
Shaved 14b and new disc brakes.
New wiring harness I made for the AW4 to go into a wrangler. Wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be and it works great so far.
Thats all for now. Sorry I did take better during pics but if someone wants to see something let me know.