Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Family Cruiser (on road) 1970 Torino

19K views 184 replies 35 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 · (Edited)
Years ago I owned a 63 fairlane....I sold it to my dad so I could buy a 77 trans am (decision I regretted for multiple reasons). After a few years I sold the Trans Am to put all my attention to offroading. Another decision I always regretted. But my TA wasn't the most comfortable commuter and seemed to get around 7 mpg. For last year + I have had a nagging in the back of my mind to get another older car, but this time more a cruiser. Something I could jump in and drive long distance miles for the weekend etc, something I never felt comfortable doing in my previous cars. I didn't want a "race car" but a nice classic I could cruise in, but if needed I could make it scoot.

After some searching and some long hrs in the truck looking at cars I found one last night. I ended up with a 1970 Torino. It needs some love, but I feel its a good platform to work from. I don't want a show car, but a nice reliable driver that looks good from 20ft is what I'd settle for.

Rear frame rails, sheet metal work I am ok with, but didn't wanna look at rebuilding any frame work.

Got home today from work and pump pedal twice and it fired up, choke is bad but sounded decent. New valve cover gaskets and ditch the points are the first priority on the motor. Previous owner pulled the valve covers and didn't put new gaskets when he did so they leak like crazy.

Interior is poop, headliner junk, rear deck lid junk, carpet junk, dash less then fair. Suppose to get newly reupholstered seats from the seller hopefully in the next week, two GT buckets and the original rear bench all redone.
Really hoping the seller comes through with this, left a voice mail with him today to arrange pick up but no answer.

Found some mud in the LR 1/4, already damaged the front spoiler. Apparently on the drive home last night it popped out of park (shifter really loose/sloppy) and as soon as I undid the front straps it rolled off the trailer without the ramps out :fish:. Not bad but bent it upward on the left side :(.

Plans are to go through the suspension and brakes. Convert the fronts to disc and power brakes (manual brakes right now). Maybe convert the manual steering to. Tune the motor and ditch the points. Service hoses and fluids. Fix up the interior enough for now to be comfortable and drive it through the summer.

Then when the storage season arrives fix the body and get it painted. Debating between a super dark blue (almost black) or a dark black cherry. And I need to do some research to see how possible and $ and time consuming it would be, but I would like to install a 5.4L triton and 4r100. Right now its a 302 2brl and I assume a c4. Time will tell though. For now I have cleaned the mold/mildew off the paint :sonicjay:.

See less See more
#6 ·
If I don't go 5.4L then I would most likely go 5.0L or 5.8L efi. I did a 96 5.8L efi roller motor in my 74 bronco. SO I know I can do that easily. But I want to be "different". I think a 5.4L would be cool and different. But I don't want to have to cut the engine crossmember or the shock towers to make it fit. I have lots of time to do the research before I start on that side of the project. The current 302 seems to run pretty good.

#8 ·
As I posted in your other thread I also have a Torino mines a 71 have had it since I was 14. They are great cars. Kinda hard to find parts for at times. But auto krafters has a lot. Yes your car will have the c4 in it. Torinos generally drive like crap. But with some work they are ok.

Mine has a bbf in it with a c6. I just picked up a t 10 top loader big spline for it so I'm going to be swapping it soon. If you run into issues finding parts let me know. I don't sell any of mine but I know a lot of guys that do.

#9 ·
Well I need a new rear trunk lid to start lol, the spoiler let water in and destroyed the trunk lid but amazingly the trunk pan is solid.

Also any info on DIY disc conversion up front vs buying a kit would be very helpful. I also would like to convert it to p/s.

I am just starting the research process on everything. Been bookmarking any links I find that I might deem useful in the future. IF you have any links to online vendors that carry parts I would appreciate them.

#10 ·
That things going to be sweet! I keep kicking around getting an older 2wd ride as well.

I like the Triton idea. Cool older style with the new style performance and great economy.

Personally I want an older Nova or Chevelle with a 6.0 transplant. :naughty:

#16 ·
Ok got some of the interior torn apart...found a few more weak spots in the floor but not bad and simple enough to fix up. To my surprise the seat belt anchor bolts all came out with ease. Hell they came out better then my 98 explorers anchors did lol. Nice to find that the areas around the rear window are virtually rust free other then the scale or surface discoloring. On with DA pics...

Main bad spot at the drivers feet

Pass front floor..

Pass side rear

Drivers rear

I believe I found the remnants of the OE build sheet under the carpet..atleast I think I did it was pretty shredded and only a few words were readable.

#17 ·
I used por-15 back in the day when I did up the floor of my old trans am, but were talking 7 yrs ago. That still the stuff to use today or has something new and better come around? Thought I recalled reading somewhere on here we had a local vendor for the stuff?

Also alot of the oe seam sealer stuff is just falling and flaking off, gonna have to scrape majority of it off. Would the por-15 or similar be good enough to use when painting over the entire floor area or should I use something to reseal the area I am gonna end up exposing after scraping the old stuff off?

#28 ·
There is a product called Lizard Skin. Sprayable sound deadener and heat reducer. Works very well.

POR product are still great for rust issues. Also, I have used Permatex product called Rust Treatmant. Wire wheel as much as you can spray areas. Works great also and is inexpensive.

#19 ·
Picked up a early 80's f150 today for $300. Suppose to have a 69 302 in it. Has a almost new 650 cfm edelbrock and matching intake. Also has the distributor and module I wanted to get to convert the Torino from points. Pull the motor, scrap the truck and then get my $300 back. win win.

Still haven't been able to get the seller to return my phone calls on getting the seats from him :(.

#20 ·
i have a 5.4 and everything you need to put it in and run if the 302 doesnt run good.

#21 ·
I need 2wd though. And been thinking more and more about it. I was thinking of going with the 4R100 if I went that route but I think the 4r70 might be the better route as its considerably smaller. I think with the 4r100 I would have to rebuild the trans tunnel to get it to fit. So if I go that route I may look for a 4.6L donor vehicle. I have searched on alot of sites the last few days and have come up empty on swapping these into older cars. Only thing I found was the mazda pickup the show on spike did. Saying I have a 5.4L vs the 4.6L just sounds cooler :sonicjay:.

Alot of threads on alot of forums where people talk about doing it and get talked out of it, but haven't found where anybody did it (still looking).

#26 ·
I have no idea if it applies to the "Newer" cars - when I had my 66 fairlane, the "hot" swap was power discs from a 67+ Mustang. Supposedly damn-near bolt-in, so I'd imagine most parts from that era would work.

You really want to be special, let me know and I'll grab a parts list for you to build a 5.4L-4V motor. :d:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.