Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1971 Jeep M818 5ton 4x4 855cid diesel $12000SOLD

12K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  four_by_ken 
#1 · (Edited)
1971 AM General Jeep
6cylinder Cummins 14 liter diesel, 5speed trans, 20000lb pto driven winch,
53" Michelin XL 16x20 tires, powersteering, heater, new top. :usa:Started life as a military M818 5ton tractor. :usa:Modified and painted this summer. Runs great and very reliable. Made a 1000 mile trip in November. MSTA $12,000
989-729-7074

SOLD

#3 · (Edited)
I drove it up for deer season. Spent the night in Marquette (visited my daughter at NMU (GO WILDCATS!!)). We hunt SW of Gwinn. Ran great up and back total miles for trip were just under 1000. Only issue was a flat tire on the trailer on the way up.
Thanks for the comments!

#4 ·
Super nice rig!

I am curious, have you ever had this thing on the Dunes at Sliver Lake?
If so, how did something that large do on "Test Hill"?

#9 · (Edited)
"I am curious, have you ever had this thing on the Dunes at Sliver Lake?
If so, how did something that large do on "Test Hill"?"

No, I didnt get it done intime for a trip this year.

"Curious. Whats the MPG?"

7mpg empty or around 5 with a full bed pulling a trailer. Which doesn't matter because it has dual 55 gallon tanks!

"How does it do on the highway? Can you run 70MPH or are you cruising a bit slower?"

It will do 67mph (measured by GPS) full or empty, it just takes longer to get there loaded.

I would think it would do pretty good at the Winter Fest!!

#17 ·
No CDL required. :thumb: It has "Air over Hydraulic" brakes which to my understanding operates like conventional power brakes but instead of having a diaphram in the power booster with vacume on one side you have a diaphram with pressurized air behind it.
I hope that answered your question.

Thanks
~ Nick

#21 · (Edited)
Here are some more pics of the build. Replacement of the T/O bearing. Removal of the 2 axel truck assy. Mounted springs and so forth. If anyone would like spacific pics let me know.

Thanks!:usa:

oops a little smaller than I thought. It's much bigger in real life, no shit really!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.