Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

any one on atkins, or a very low carb diet?

7K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  joe_jeep 
#1 ·
I miss bread, and pasta, and cerial.
I get the strangest cravings now!
I would stab u in the eye with a screwdriver for some ben and jerrys!

Dinner was less than 3 carbs, no sugar.

I gotta stay on it, or I gotta find a new job.
Fed started to watch our a1c.

#3 ·
That sucks. We are getting pretty close to that where I work. Yearly physicals, including blood work are mandatory, and the rumor mill is saying the next union contract will tie the results to our health insurance costs. We currently pay 20% of the premium. Bad test results could bring that up to 40%

#7 ·
Since xmas I have been losing weight. I eat these fruit buddies that come in a pouch. One for breakfast and one for lunch. 5 bottles of water go to work with me. Then a dinner of what I want in moderation. Xmas day I was 316 lbs. Today I am 264lbs. Shooting for 225 by xmas.

#8 ·
The cravings go away eventually (for the most part). FlatFender is doing a similar diet.

It's much easier to stick to if you don't eat out often, and you have people that aren't going to actively give you stuff that'll knock you out of it.

That diet is definitely effective at losing the initial weight QUICKLY. Although, for me, I'm not sure I could sustain it long term. After you lose the weight initially, if you go off the diet, be sure to maintain something healthier (less carbs/sugars) than you ate previously, or you'll just put it all back on.

p.s. the food pyramid is kinda bullshit.

#12 · (Edited)
I am type 2. Need an hba1c under 8 or I lose my job.
im shooting for 10 carbs a day. Never over 30.
Trying for zero sugar too.

Breakfast was a ham and cheese omelette with a side of ham
lunch was a piece of venison jerky.
Dinner was smoked tuna, cheese, and pickles.

I think the cream in my coffee this morning had the most carbs.

Im not trying to lose weight. I already lost 100 lbs.
My clothes are falling off me already.
Im buying 34 waist jeans now. I was 36 waist as a freshman in hs.

I lost all the weight by avoiding fat. Now its all I eat hardly.

You cant eat pizza and watch your carbs!
Moderation dont work so well for many diabetics.

#16 ·
I gave up caffeine and sugared drinks.

I eat enough to stop feeling hungry, then stop.

I've lost a solid 15lbs since the end of May, and still dropping slowly. I may bump up a couple pounds but it drops back off in a day or two.

The hardest thing to overcome was the training I got as a child- 'Clean your plate!' I've found that if I eat only when I feel hungry, I only eat when I have been active. Sometimes, I only eat every other day when I'm on the road and have not worked up an appetite.

So far, this is working for me and is easy to stick to it.

Point being- you have to find what works for you and your goals. Not everyone can do the same diet and get the same results.

#22 ·
He's not trying to lose weight, nor is he trying to eat pizza and burgers for every meal. He's trying to control diabetes.

Joe, skip the low carbs diet. Get on the "don't eat refined carbs and junk" diet.

Veggies are full of good carbs, sweet potatoes are filled with good carbs fruit is filled with good carbs...eat a shit ton of them everyday.

When you want bread make yourself a wrap, sure, there are carbs, but not as many as you'd get in a full on sandwich, it will cure the craving, and you can find some pretty healthy low car wraps out there.

Pasta is hard, I still eat pasta occasionally. But not all that often. Maybe once a month.

The "cleaner" you eat, the better it will help you deal with the diabete's, the blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

If you can eat even 75% "paleo-ish" and 25% "clean" - ish. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

#20 ·
Cottage cheese before bed helps if you are trying to cut fat but preserve or build muscle. It contains casein, which is a slow processing protein. It prevents your body from beginning to fuel itself off your muscle tissue while you sleep. Protein first thing in the morning also helps.

#21 ·
I was up to 257 (143 when entered the military). I am down to 180 right now. which is a good weight for me. really wanted to stay around a lean 200, but I dont have the time to work out to be lean at that weight. So I work out when I can and play soccer and 180 is good.

I went from a 12-18 pack during the week and 18 pack during the weekend to a 6 pack on the weekend. I quit all french fries and drinks. only drank water and beer for 2 years.

I eat healthier (more salads and veggies), but we still go out for pizza. we still go to red lobster. I still eat the same stuff I did before. BUT, I just eat half of it. I dont get over full.

I could never do a carb diet etc.

I work out 2 times a week, and play an hour and half of soccer on thursday nights. (before soccer I would work out 3 times a week). which includes a 2-3 mile run.

Good luck in your diet sir.

#23 ·
Now I am doing a mild work out daily.
Sit ups, push ups, deep knee bends, leg lifts,
Curls, and walk a mile or two.

Im mostly eating lean meat, Nuts, eggs, tuna, pickles, peppers, and salads.
Drink mostly unsweetened tea, and a diet dew if im tired.
One cup of coffee per morning. Little to no fast food.
If I had to do fast food, I would get a chicken sandwich, and throw away the bun

Im 5'6", was 265 at my highest. At my lowest I was 159. I mostly hover around 175. Im happy with my weight. I can pull off my jeans without unbuttoning them without my belt. Had to put 2 new holes in the belt in the last year.

I am on vacation for a week starting friday.
So if I lose my job at least I got my vacation time in.
Making a huge batch of kabobs and taco salad(no chips)for the trip.

Mmmm kabobs!

#26 ·
On the bright side, I take metformin for my diabetes. Its a horrible pill, and used to just tear up my stomach!
The the very low carb, almost no sugar diet, make my meds tolerable. My sugar levels are very close to normal pretty much all the time. I have not seen a spike over 140 yet. Normaly more in the 90 to 115 range.
My sugars used to be in the 200 range constantly without fasting.

#27 ·
Joe Jeep, as an insulin dependent t1 diabetic let me commend you on your efforts and successes. I have been sitting around an A1c of 6.3 down to 5.8 for the last 1.5 to 2 years now. The treatment of Diabetis is a 3 legged stool 1.) Diet 2) insulin infusion, either by meds or normal pancreatic function 3) exercise . I do lift weights but see little benefit from it for D, walking, jogging or cycling is where it is at.
Most if not all, t2 diabetics deal with insulin resistance, some t1 such as my self deal with it also. Insulin resistance is a condition where your body is not running efficiently enough to use the insulin it is making or you are injecting. Meds, some dietary supplements and exercise are used to treat insulin resistance. After much testing, trial and error, I have found a solid 20 minutes of compound leg movements to work the best. Whether it be low impact running, walking or swimming, using the large muscle in your legs at a moderate speed will stimulate insulin synthesis.
Simply walking 20minutes a day will afford you the same benefits as running 20 minutes towards the treatment of your D. Cardio/fat burning with running is a whole other thing. Walking along with proper diet and meds, if RXed is enough to drive that A1c down. If you are doing all three of the mentioned above treatments and still hovering at an A1c of 8 , go see your doctor or Endocrinologist. Don't settle for A1c of 8, save your job, your eyesight and your toes.

#29 ·
They make a huge salad I get one a few times a week, But use my own dressing.

#31 ·
after you are in ketosis for two weeks you can add some carbs in. I would eat 1 or two bites of cake and tell myself that it will not taste any better no matter how many mor bites I had. Worked for me. Controls my cravings.

#32 ·
Eat what you want and exercise your ass off.:nana:

#33 ·
diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic 18 months ago, A1C of 13.9 Fasting sugars in the 300-400 range

High Protein Lowish carb diet (unless i'm riding alot daily carb intake is under 100G)

A1C as of last month is 5.8, fasting sugars of 85ish

All i drink is water, and lots of it, almost no sugar, low carb, no pasta, an occassional roll once a week maybe potato of some sort, almost no bread, and if it is it's a whole grain.

Most of my carb intake is from Greek yogurt, other than that it is very low.

#34 ·
I keep my carb's under 50g a day, with most of my diet consisting of quality fat and protein.
There really isn't a such thing as a good carb, yeah they taste good as hell but you don't NEED them.

It's your body and you can do whatever you want to it but why wouldn't you want it to be the best it can be?? Either you're too lazy or too stupid to take care of it.
NOTHING WORKS UNLESS YOU DO...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.